Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst. Ending. Ever.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Worst. Ending. Ever.  (Read 13272 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »

The ending i got in Valkyrie Profile, which i guess is the bad ending, made me want to burn Tri-Ace's office.

All of them are pretty bad.

I loved the A-ending personally. I mean yeah it does kinda just end, but the only negativity I could draw from that is a lack of explaining a war's aftermath. I loved the entire ending where it was pretty much "okay, sit back and watch cutscenes and listen to Lezard the fucking psychopath explain shit that will only make sense if you listen to it like twenty fucking times." Though, after listening to his rant a few times in a speedrun on SDA, I love it to death.
The B ending sucks dick though. Like, ultra-dick. To the extreme.

As far as other games though, Breath of Fire III. Like, what the fuck. Kill the goddess and then you walk through the desert and then the credits roll. No, fuck you, where does Ryu go? Fuck, where does ANYONE GO? You're stranded in a desert and fucking DIE or what? I love that game but the ending is so fucking horrible, every time I replay it I end up quitting at the lighthouse, or once I even think I'm getting near that dumbass desert again.

Shame too, best dragon system in any BoF by far.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »

What about fake endings? I think it was Tales Of Destiny that made you think you beat the game and the credits started to roll, only for some character come back on and say something like "Wait, we are not done yet!" and there was about 15-20 hours or so left to play.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »

Bad endings are such a buzzkill, and seeing one after a 70 hour epic must be torturous. =/

I thought Radiata Stories had a pretty deadpan ending. I don't know if there are more than two endings, but the one I got was absolutely terrible. It took all of, what, 30 seconds to complete? I would have been pissed as all hell if I didn't get that sweet bonus dungeon after the credits rolled.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:45:12 PM by Sketch » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »

Like, ultra-dick

A delicious flame-broiled dick, covered in mustard, on a warm poppyseed bun?

Essentially every game needs an earthbound ending: you can keep playing after it's all done, and go around and look at the aftermath of what's happened.

BTW, Balto 2 had a horrible ending. I mean, it was a horrible movie. Don't get me wrong. But there as so little closure there that it *fucked with my head*. This was also in 9th grade when I had to read like, Call of the Wild, and that kept reminding me of it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »

I thought Radiata Stories had a pretty deadpan ending.

I got the
Code:
non-human
ending. And yeah, it was pretty awful.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

Tales of Symphonia 2 (goodbye, farewell, nice knowing ya, etc.... i'm back), Eternal Sonata, Ogre Battle 64 (could never get a good ending back then), and my first play-throughs of Suikoden II and V.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 05:12:21 PM »

The most disappointing video game ending I can remember/think of is Revenge of Shinobi for Genesis.  That game was so good, and the ending was a total letdown. 

If I had to pick my least favorite RPG ending, I'd go with FF8's.  The ending itself is very lengthy and has CG that's stunning on an artistic and technical level even now.  However, it was an abstract, avant-garde, nonsensical mess that was nothing short of wacky.  I like endings that make sense. 

Oh, and I'm not a fan of cliffhanger endings.  I want to know what happened to all the characters after the final battle.  Anachronox did a cliffhanger ending very well, but it was really out of necessity that Ion Storm had to make it that way. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »

Essentially every game needs an earthbound ending: you can keep playing after it's all done, and go around and look at the aftermath of what's happened.

Amen.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »

If I had to pick my least favorite RPG ending, I'd go with FF8's.  The ending itself is very lengthy and has CG that's stunning on an artistic and technical level even now.  However, it was an abstract, avant-garde, nonsensical mess that was nothing short of wacky.  I like endings that make sense.

The only part of it that's abstract is the sequence with Squall walking around the wasteland. I don't think it takes too much brainpower and creativity to imagine what's supposed to be going on in that sequence. It's not nearly as "wtf" as the TV ending to Evangelion. I really had no problem, whatsoever with FFVIII.

Regarding this topic, my answer is very plainly Final Fantasy XII.

Code:
There was without question, NO REASON to fight Vayne at the end. He and Venant had basically gone on their path of craziness to defy the will of those crazy-ass angels. And those same crazy-ass angels asked Ashe to take out Venant and all his chronices. And Ashe says "no, fuck that, I'll do things my own way." So wait...shouldn't you be supporting Vayne at this point? Or at the very least, getting the word out to the people about all the secret clandestine angel-shit that took place? wtf?

I attribute the crappiness of XII's ending to Matsuno leaving S-E. He probably had a much cooler ending in mind and it somehow got mangled.

AKIRA:

Are you SURE you got the best ending? I know nothing about the game, or how linear it is. Is there a possibility that you missed some sort of secret ending?

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »

Come on, Dinc, there's about 3 minutes of abstract weirdness that, yes, is weird. The rest of the 20 min+ ending is absolutely wonderful: Laguna at his lover's grave, the characters all celebrating and being themselves aboard the ship (one of my favorite FMVs ever) through the eyes of a camcorder, and then the final romantic scene with Squall and Rinoa. I don't understand why you condemn or dislike an ending just because one short section of it sucks. There are many RPG endings out there, where 100% of it sucks, or are mind numbingly boring. Grandia 2's ending comes to mind of an absolutely horrifically dull ending.

Code:
Romantic interest is perminantly unresolved, and all characters turn weak and milktoast in their lives following the plot events. The main character isn't even around anymore, for the most part. So much for the theme of "relying on friends and being a part of society", I'm going to go off by myself for a year and leave my girlfriend(s) left hanging on.

I would say that most endings are bad because they either leave some kind of major personal issue unresolved, or refuse to show characters as they are in their natural environments. FFXs was amazing because instead of everyone cheering and celebrating, they're all mourning the fact that even though they prevailed, they lost so much in the processes. I'm not a big fan of FFX, but I thought they handled the ending wonderfully. FF8 is one of my favorites because it shows the characters simply being themselves, when they're not under the stress of "big world ending plot devices". I really like that. Tales of the Abyss, while one of my favorite games, pissed me off because it took the opportunity to make one huge long cliffhanger that kinda poisons all of the scenes before its final resolution. FF9 did something similar, but it was much better portrayed.

Yeah, I'd say Grandia 2 was the worst ending I've seen. It basically felt like the writers chickened out on figuring out how to resolve certain "issues", and instead, decided to completely ignore it, therefor pretty much anulling the entire personal side of the story. Horrific. Many games decide not to confirm romantic interests... Dragon Quest VIII for an example, however, it's so unbelievably obvious that it really doesn't matter. Grandia 2 ended with a pretty weird scenario that needed closure, and didn't get it. Whatever, GameArts has become a bunch of whiny milktoast wussies since anyway, I guess it was just a sign of things to come.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:09:26 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »

Then there's the issue of the endgame portion influencing the view of the ending.  I thought the endgame portion (read: disc 4) of FF8 felt completely tacked on. 

Admittedly, yes, the character stuff in the last part of the ending was fun.  I liked the scenes where
Code:
Seifer, Fujin and Raijin were fishing, and when Zell choked on the bread
but, yes, the wacky part left a bad impression on me.  It's like having a pizza with the best crust, best sauce, and best cheese but a spoilt topping.  Sure the crust, sauce, and cheese are awesome, but is ruined by the spoilt topping.  That's 1/4 of the pizza and it makes a difference.  That wacky BS was 1/4 of the ending, and the first 1/4 of it.  Not a good first impression. 

You can preach, justify, and rationalize to me till your face turns blue, but FF8's ending is still my least favorite RPG ending.  Again, it's like with food.  Broccoli is a wonderful food; one of the most nutritious in the world, but some people just plain don't like it. 

EDIT: On the other hand, yeah, a lot of RPGs I played had forgettable endings.  I'd mention what they were but, well, I forgot them.  At least with FF8, I remember it enough to remember some dislike. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:23:45 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »

Yeah, I'd say Grandia 2 was the worst ending I've seen. It basically felt like the writers chickened out on figuring out how to resolve certain "issues", and instead, decided to completely ignore it, therefor pretty much anulling the entire personal side of the story. Horrific. Many games decide not to confirm romantic interests... Dragon Quest VIII for an example, however, it's so unbelievably obvious that it really doesn't matter. Grandia 2 ended with a pretty weird scenario that needed closure, and didn't get it. Whatever, GameArts has become a bunch of whiny milktoast wussies since anyway, I guess it was just a sign of things to come.

So wait. You don't consider
Code:
crashing a wedding and running off with the bride to be a consummation of love?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 08:02:06 PM »

With as few spoilers as possible, here is my issue with the end of Infinite Space:

Code:
Basically, the whole universe is being destroyed by this invasion of these super powerful organic spaceships (reminded me of SO3 a bit) and you go off with all the major characters to seal the gate between our universe and theirs.  Where the gate is located is a really cool twist that I don't want to spoil, and the story up to that point has just gotten so trippy and awesome that you are expecting some sort of fateful confrontation between the main character and the godlike entiities that began the destruction. At the very least, you're hoping they will tie up some loose threads and explain the nature of the main character, his relationship with his antagonists who become friends near the end, and show what happens to the universe after the gate is sealed. Do the entities get angry and attack in another way? Do the main character and villains get along? What about all the planets that were destroyed and the crazy political strife and wars that you've fought over the last 30 hours of the game? Instead you get nothing. Just a random fight with some large enemy ship (not even a genuine last boss, just a slightly harder than normal enemy) a big explosion, then the credits roll. Could not be lamer. And what makes it so frustrating is that the story is so awesome up to that point. It is one of the only games that would have been justified in having a spacey, geeky, crazy philosophical ending, but instead they don't even try. It could have blown away Xenosaga, Mass Effect, and just about any major sci-fi RPG, but instead, no. Just credits, and fuck off. Sigh. Such a wasted opportunity.

Yeah...  That does sound pretty lame.  Man, a story should have a climax.  If not, it's like watching Aliens to the halfway point and turning it off.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »

Fallout 3.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »

So wait. You don't consider
Code:
crashing a wedding and running off with the bride to be a consummation of love?

Yes, I do, that's why I was saying it was so obvious. No, DQ8 didn't come right out and say it, but it pretty much confirmed it.

BTW: did anyone else get kinda weirded out when, towards the very end, the princess tells the hero, "you're like a brother to me". I dunno about you, but when a chick tells you you're like a brother to her, it pretty much confirms that they're not intested. I know what they were getting at with that line, but it is such a cliched "I'm not really interested in you that way", it made me wonder for a bit.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: