Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334757 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst. Ending. Ever.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Worst. Ending. Ever.  (Read 13286 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »

whiny milktoast

Milquetoast. It's milquetoast. The words are etymologically related, sure, being that the character's name Milquetoast, from whom the word milquetoast is taken, is BASED on milktoast because of how bland and inoffensive it is, but it's milquetoast. The word. You want. Is milquetoast.

I attribute the crappiness of XII's ending to Matsuno leaving S-E. He probably had a much cooler ending in mind and it somehow got mangled.

After reading your spoilered-out text, FFXII sounds like it just keeps getting progressively more incoherent as it goes along. I got to like 30 hours in the game and there was nothing indicating that what you were talking about was ever going to happen.

20 min+ ending

Good god WHAT? No game should have more than five minutes of continuous non-interactive stuff.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »

Good god WHAT? No game should have more than five minutes of continuous non-interactive stuff.

You must hate MGS then...

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »

I only played MGS3 and didn't actually get past the prologue bit where you don't manage to save the scientist and Ocelot is a creepy, meowing furry, but uh... yeah, I didn't like it iat all. Which is why I never got past the opening bit.

I think the improved camera from the expanded re-release might've helped -- non-rotatable cameras in an outdoor stealth game is bullshit, no matter how many people were able to get used to it -- but fuck that shit. I'm not buying a game twice, especially if it's questionable whether some minor changes would've made me like it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »

Suikoden V - standard ending:

Something inside of me died that day. You have to get all 108 Stars of Destiny to get the good ending, and the standard ending is really really sad. Even with a guide, I ended up missing star one due to an error in the game (the guy who got turned into a tiger and the little girl suddenly are nowhere to be found after a certain point, even though they are supposed to be findable throughout the game), and the fact that your characters can perminantly die during the tactical battles (though rare)... it's almost like the creators didn't want the player to win.

So, after 100+ hours of shear joy and wonder:

Code:
Lyon, the girl who's been your confidant, protector mouthpiece, and even suggested romantic interest... DIES without warning. And the game ends in mourning.

Now, I can understand this for a bad ending, or an ending in which the good ending is really easy to achieve, but collecting all 108 stars is no easy feat, and many are missable after certain points. I remember reading the guide for some of them and thinking, "now, how in the hell would I have known to check this spot to find this guy?"

To say the least, I was misserable for the next few days.

I'm playing through this game right now and well aware of that ending. I'm trying in all my power not to achieve it. I'm pretty sure I can without much difficulty, I mean I got all 108 starts from Suikoden 3 without Game Faqs just fine. I believe it's another chapter unlocked playing as the bad guys was it, and I remember it being so damn worth taking my time ot find them all.

I didn't know my characters could permanently die?! What the heck? I haven't had it happen, but I'm used to the war missions already.

relevant to this topic: Eternal Sonata and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. FFMQ was just too chipper, I half expected everyone to do a dance number in the end.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »

My thoughts on Chrono Cross' ending. And this is all spoilers, so I'm just putting up a warning and not coding anything out because that'd be really ugly, and I'm not really spoiling anything that specific anyway.

Code:
Ignore that stuff that Schala babbles on about after you beat the Time Devourer. About how people are sperm and the planet's an egg and Myth of Zervan or whatever. That's some (pseudo) necessary exposition to explain... something.

It's not important.

What's salient is the scene that -- no pun intended -- bookends the game. In the introductory cutscene, you see a book opening up with some text, apparently someone reflecting on their youth. In the good ending, of course, you see the last bit from the journal, which talks about Kid looking for Serge, and uh... more imporantly, is signed by Kid. So that you know who wrote the journal.

So basically the entire game can be taken... good god I'm tired I'll finish this tomorrow.

(Also: Section where Serge and leena are on the beach. Serge has forgotten everything. Leena says that their summer has just started. Kid, of course, keeps her memories of the thing, and her experience there has ended.

I have to wonder what would happen in the bad ending. You kill Lavos. Does time remain disunified? Does Serge keep all of his memories of everything?

I think in another sense, Kid's very much the main character. Serge is the arbiter of time and he gets things moving, but he's also kind of a victim of time, and his reward in the good ending, I guess, is being free to live his own life.

My thoughts are that CC's theme is more about how time's a bitch that destroys memories and childhood and people and places, and how every choice you make closes out another possible world, and how time has its victims -- in these alternate realities, or races like the dra... reptites.

CC's ending presents us with Kid searching fruitlessly for Serge while remembering the events that transpired in CC. In a sense, you know, looking at the ending song's subtitle -- The Unstolen Jewel -- well... that's Serge, basically. And it's this mostly likely pointless search for Serge that's giving Kid... some kind of meaning, because it's letting her relieve *that* adventure she had, or *that* moment in time. Even if it's not going to produce any results.

I mean, from wikipedia.

"Saudade (singular) or saudades (plural) (pronounced [sawˈdadɨ] in European Portuguese, [sawˈdadʒi] or [sawˈdadi] in Brazilian Portuguese, and [sawˈdade] in Galician) is a Portuguese and Galician word for a feeling of nostalgic longing for something or someone that one was fond of and which is lost."

Or

"Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again."

Or

"Saudade relates to the Italian malinconia, in which one feels an interior satisfaction because it is impossible to find something, but one never stops thinking that one is searching for it."

So the final bits during the credit roll, where live-action Kid is walking along abandoned railroad tracks and stone staircases and weird antique stores or in isolation through a busy intersetion... THAT kind of thing leaves an impression on my mind because that's what I feel like a lot and more than I should, and it's what I do spending an inordinate amount of time doing in Bowling Green; wandering aimlessly looking for beautiful grassy knolls and bright sunlight and some small sense of adventure or discovery in a slowly dying town or just SOMETHING that'll take me back to whenever it was that it was still acceptable to spend an entire afternoon lying in the grass and watching jets fly across a full and faded moon.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:10:41 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

aquagon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 01:14:16 AM »

My thoughts are that CC's theme is more about how time's a bitch that destroys memories and childhood and people and places, and how every choice you make closes out another possible world, and how time has its victims -- in these alternate realities, or races like the dra... reptites.

CC's ending presents us with Kid searching fruitlessly for Serge while remembering the events that transpired in CC. In a sense, you know, looking at the ending song's subtitle -- The Unstolen Jewel -- well... that's Serge, basically. And it's this mostly likely pointless search for Serge that's giving Kid... some kind of meaning, because it's letting her relieve *that* adventure she had, or *that* moment in time. Even if it's not going to produce any results.

So the final bits during the credit roll, where live-action Kid is walking along abandoned railroad tracks and stone staircases and weird antique stores or in isolation through a busy intersetion... THAT kind of thing leaves an impression on my mind because that's what I feel like a lot and more than I should, and it's what I do spending an inordinate amount of time doing in Bowling Green; wandering aimlessly looking for beautiful grassy knolls and bright sunlight and some small sense of adventure or discovery in a slowly dying town or just SOMETHING that'll take me back to whenever it was that it was still acceptable to spend an entire afternoon lying in the grass and watching jets fly across a full and faded moon.

And add to all that the meaning of the song lyrics: essentially the same thing you're saying about Kid trying fruitlessly to find Serge, just to relive these memories that were washed off by the time.
In special some of the verses, such as:
"The time embraces both love and pain, and then, it erases them, but I'll still remember them, forever..."
"It will be like if the prayer I'm weaving was sent to the darkness of the frozen stars, just to reach the sky under which you are..."
(And it seems to me that Mitose is good not only as a singer, but also as lyricist...)

As for bad written endings, well, I don't remember currently any that seemed as insatisfactory or inconclusive to me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:17:12 AM by aquagon » Logged
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 01:20:10 AM »

The two endings that comes to mind are KOTOR II and Fable II. Not necessarily because of the endings themselves, but because they ended so abruptly. Fable II pissed me off especially with the

Code:
waste of 10 minutes that was the fake childhood flashback sequence.

Actually, throw in Lost Odyssey too. After suffering through that, I would have appreciated a final boss that didn't take four rounds to finish and a cop-out ending.

Code:
I was hoping the game would've explored the immortals' original world and the relationship between the two worlds a bit more. That was the only thing that stopped it from being a completely generic RPG, after all.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

Lyrics don't translate well, unfortunately :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »

Honestly I've never really cared too much if a game's ending was disappointing. Of course I want to see the ending if I've played that far, and I'll hope I enjoy it, but really it is getting there that is important to me.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »

To channel the everliving memory of General Mortars.....

Rinoa was a stupid cow.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Megidolaon
60MP of DOOM
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »

Chrono Cross, hands down.
It's beyond me how the same writer could screw up this bad after writing not only 1 but 8 amazing endings for Radical Dreamers.
Kizeshiro129
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

I think Suikoden II and Final Fantasy VIII's endings was not very good because the ending was much too sad for my tastes.........well, I think Suikoden III did a much better job in the ending than suiko 2!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 06:03:53 PM »

the people complaining about Vp1's ending are making me laugh when the game is actually easiest on hard. the true ending is even cannon as far as VP2 is concerned. FF X-2 actually has a decent ending if you get the true ending where Tidus comes back.
for me the worst ending is Xenosaga 3. it leaves you with the impression that Shion's journey is not over and Kos-Mos is seemingly still alive but heavily damaged. FFXII's ending was kinda annoying in that the epilouge plays out through artwork overlayed by credits.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »

the people complaining about Vp1's ending are making me laugh when the game is actually easiest on hard.

No, no, no. You misunderstand. people aren't complaining about needing to play VP1 on hard mode to get the good ending. They're complaining about how, in order to get the good ending, you have to do everything exactly right and the stuff you need to do isn't particularly clear at all.

Honestly, how could you expect to figure out how to get the best ending WITHOUT a guide?

Chrono Cross, hands down.
It's beyond me how the same writer could screw up this bad after writing not only 1 but 8 amazing endings for Radical Dreamers.

I'm curious as to your reasoning (although this is less "argumentative curiosity" and more the sort of curiosity that leads me to typing things like "robot horse genital maggots" into google image search.)

---edit---

Here are my three favorite results, by the way. And they're all SFW afaik but some of them are a bit confusing idk :T

http://www.smaggle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/stfu-bitch.jpg wait this might be NSFW.

http://www.bravomic.com/images/blogs/476/toddler%20robot.jpg

http://www.goenglish.com/GoEnglish_com_1DontLookAGiftHorseInTheMouth.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OgBGwqwuV0c/R5BkIITbnXI/AAAAAAAACmg/R3A228xi07Q/s400/damn!.JPG This is a really bizarre aquarium...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:52:51 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:19 PM »

the people complaining about Vp1's ending are making me laugh when the game is actually easiest on hard.

No, no, no. You misunderstand. people aren't complaining about needing to play VP1 on hard mode to get the good ending. They're complaining about how, in order to get the good ending, you have to do everything exactly right and the stuff you need to do isn't particularly clear at all.

Honestly, how could you expect to figure out how to get the best ending WITHOUT a guide?

I always use a guide for RPGs so.....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: