Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327268 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst. Ending. Ever.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Worst. Ending. Ever.  (Read 12924 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »

I always use a guide for RPGs so.....

That does not excuse bad design. If anything it's bad design that would lead people to being that guide dependent.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 11:50:57 PM »

That does not excuse bad design. If anything it's bad design that would lead people to being that guide dependent.

Nay, I'm just lazy. And the obsessive type that wants to make sure they get EVERYTHING.

VP1 true ending is really simple to get actually. The guide for it is really short and simple.

FFX-2 on the other hand is a true nightmare to get a perfect completion.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:14 AM »

It's simple... if you know how. There is no indication in the game for WHAT to do, so it's still stupid. Not necessarily as stupid as FFX-2, but that seems to follow something at least somewhat intuitive (get 100%!) and isn't as necessary as VP's is, especially given how FFX-2's undermines the prequel.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »

Suikoden V also seems very difficult to get all of the recruits without a guide. I made it 20 hours in one playthrough and quit, and can't bring myself to start up again, not wanting to waste 80 hours to get a crappy ending.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »

Nay, I'm just lazy. And the obsessive type that wants to make sure they get EVERYTHING.

VP1 true ending is really simple to get actually. The guide for it is really short and simple.

FFX-2 on the other hand is a true nightmare to get a perfect completion.

I'm a fan of using guides.
Pretty much for the small, intricate, how-the-hell-is-anyone-supposed-to-know-that-isms that are hard to find.

That, and if I'm stuck at a part, like, REALLY stuck, I have other things to do than to wait around figuring it out.  Between work and school and life, there are more important things to figure out besides the Puzzle in Dungeon 26.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:18 AM »

@Dice: That's not the point.  The point is that there -shouldn't- be things in the game it's only possible to find with a guide.  The fact that those kinds of things exist in a game is bad game design.

relevant to this topic: Eternal Sonata and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. FFMQ was just too chipper, I half expected everyone to do a dance number in the end.

Late replay is late, but what exactly were you expecting for the ending to FFMQ?  The entire game was light-hearted and chipper, why should the ending be any different?  I actually think they SHOULD have done a song and dance number, it would have gone well with the theme of the game.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »

I'm honestly confused, Prime Mover. Is your dislike for Suiko V's standard ending just because it was sad? I'm not sure that makes something a bad ending. Yeah it's heart-wrenching and awful to go through, but we read, watch, and play through stories to have that kind of reaction. If anything, your sick feeling says to me that the game succeeded.

The same thing happened to me, and again in MGS3:
Code:
MGS3 probably has the most powerful ending in gaming yet, owing to the fact that YOU, the player, has to end things on that bitter, awful note. Pulling the trigger is the hardest thing, especially since The Boss stands for so many good things and has been such an endearing character. The awful feeling afterwards is what makes that ending special, because it's so hard to go through.

As to my least favourite ending: Xenosaga. Twenty minutes of a non-ending. Yeah, I know it's supposed to lead into the next part and all that, but when you're dealing with something that may or may not get a sequel (hi there Shenmue) based on how well it does, you have to give it some kind of conclusion. Leave it open in one regard, but let it also finish its own story in some manner so the player doesn't feel left out in the cold.  Xenosaga was bullshit.

EDIT: I am a faggot. I meant Prime Mover, not Mesh.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:52:29 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »

I'm honestly confused, Mesh. Is your dislike for Suiko V's standard ending just because it was sad?

Dude I only played Suik 1 and 3 and I never beat either. I think you got something wrong here.

Also did Suik 5 even come up?

If you were talking about VP, which I WAS talking about, I never actually beat it and can't comment on the quality of the endings. I think it's just dumb when the requirements for getting an ending are obscure and require you to do the opposite of what the game tells you to (from what I gather, the good ending requires you to actually piss the Gods off and NOT send up a lot of guys for much of it.)

Also stupid shit like visitng little side areas at the wrong time permanently locking you out of it without telling you. That's like KQ5 and the goddamn mouse puzzle.

---edit---

Oh wait you were talking to daschrier.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:27:10 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »

I'm honestly confused, Mesh. Is your dislike for Suiko V's standard ending just because it was sad?
It's possible he already got that ending and just doesn't want to get it AGAIN because he screwed up in character gathering. Not that I can blame him, though I doubt the ending is "crappy" going off prior Suikodens, I'd definitely be pissed that I'm locked out of getting a new one because of some bullshit obscure requirement.

He could also mean crappy because, well, crappy things happen in it. It doesn't necessarily have to mean terrible here.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »

i think the whole point of VP1 is that your supposed to play it more than once. i mean there is a character on the back of the jewel case that you cant even get on easy.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »

i think the whole point of VP1 is that your supposed to play it more than once

Would playing the game more than once making getting the good ending less confusing?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »

i think the whole point of VP1 is that your supposed to play it more than once

Would playing the game more than once making getting the good ending less confusing?

Nope! If there were hints, in plot or otherwise, that you might want to try to do things differently just to see what'd happen then I'd understand that defense, but as is it's still dumb. Playing through twice isn't a bad idea though, Hard may really be hard if you lack experience with the game, and the changed dungeons mean at least half of the game will be new on your second run, if not almost all of it if you went from Easy to Hard rather than Normal to Hard.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:43:35 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »

VP has the problem of being boring as fuck on normal mode though, which is why I used to hate the game until I went back and put it on Hard Mode.

o/` I do not dream o/`

RPGRocker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 10:40:26 PM »

I find it sad that no one has mentioned the true worst ending of all -- Blue's ending in SaGa Frontier. That is, if one would even consider it an ending.

Code:
After defeating the final boss (Hell's Lord), the screen darkens, the music fades out, and "The End" appears onscreen. That's it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »

Canonically, the actual ending is that Blue dies, Red doesn't, Red fights the time lord, is sealed in hell with him since they expect him to lose, and then red's friends get him out.

I have no idea WHY this was cut.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: