Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 02:42:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332941 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince  (Read 6575 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:49 AM »

My take: * Might contain Spoiler for people who haven't seen the film/read the book*

Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince is the best film in a series that has been constantly getting better as the series progresses. Itís gorgeous to look at, emotionally satisfying, and stands alone as a triumph. Itís definitely one of the best movies of the year.

The biggest difference from this one and the last film is that there is a lot of comedy (just like in the book). I do believe the comic relief (which consists of plenty teenage romance) in the film will split some peopleís opinion on the movie. Some will love it and laugh hysterically while others will wonder why such goofiness was put into an otherwise dark and haunting story. I happen to be in the former category and Iíll tell you why. Too much darkness isnít always a good thing and it reminds us that these characters are just like us. They experience first loves and crushes, wonder about the opposite sex, and long to be with the ones they love. The film captures the hormones raging through teenagers wonderfully, and even manages some truly emotional moments from it. And the people who complain that Ginny and Harryís first kiss is different and in a different location from the book are just nitpicking. Who cares WHERE it happens and long as it does? The worst films in the franchise (which are still pretty decent) were the ones that put every detail possible into the movie and suffered pacing issues because of it. Iíve never been one to complain about what isnít there, because itís whatís there that matters most.

Iíve heard people complain about some of the things added into the film as well, including an attack on the Weasleyís house. It serves a couple purposes and Iím glad they added it in. At that point in the film there has been a significant amount of time without any real threat (except those hormones) and it reasserts that threat. It also makes it clear that nowhere is safe, including places they live. It helps the pacing of the film, simple as that. Not everyone will agree of course, but this is what I believe.

The performances and technical aspects of the film are also of extremely high quality and easily the best in the series so far. The visual effects are absolutely breathtaking, and along with the cinematography, make everything old new again. Even Hogwarts isnít safe anymore, and they show it brilliantly. The young actors have taken to these parts and have an easy chemistry between them. Daniel Radcliffe is the best of the bunch, but I donít think any of them hits a bad note the whole time. Rupert Grint is hilarious and serves as the comic relief throughout much of the film while Emma WatsonĎs Hermione finally starts falling in love with Ron and shows it well. Jim Broadbent is the newest member of the cast and practically walks away with it. He looks so at home as Slughorn. Heís simply brilliant. I give props to Michael Gambon as Dumbledore too, who has made the character his own and managed to pull at my heartstrings with his final few scenes. Alan Rickman is also wonderful as always playing Severus Snape. His casting for that role has done wonders for the series. You can do a roll call with the rest of the cast. They are the whoís who of British acting.

When it comes down to it, I find Half-Blood Prince to be the crowning achievement of the series so far. The final few scenes absolutely do the book justice and are the most emotionally fulfilling moments they have captured. The series is in good hand with David Yates and I look forward to the rest of the series with bated breath.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what did everyone else think?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:53:31 PM by Blace » Logged

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »

I just saw it. I enjoyed it. I'm not really much of a Harry Potter fan myself, but I liked it. There were many changes from the other five films, but the darkness of the film fitted in well.

Code:
Dumbledore's death was awesome too.

Overall, I guess this would be my favourite in the series. Although again, I ain't much of a Harry Potter fan.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »

I just saw it. I enjoyed it. I'm not really much of a Harry Potter fan myself, but I liked it. There were many changes from the other five films, but the darkness of the film fitted in well.

Code:
Dumbledore's death was awesome too.

Overall, I guess this would be my favourite in the series. Although again, I ain't much of a Harry Potter fan.

Do we really need to spoiler-tag that? You may as well put spoiler tags around Aeris being dead.

After all, 80% of the internet knew the truth about this about two weeks before the book was released, thanks to Amazon accidently shipping copies of the book to some Canadians too early. The page 606 scan was HUGE.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »

Yeah, I know a lot of people are aware of Snape killing Dumbledore, but just to be safe, ya know?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »

Snape killing Dumbledore

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU BITCH

you bitch...
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »

WTF? SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE?

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 03:21:27 AM »

Yeah, I know a lot of people are aware of Snape killing Dumbledore, but just to be safe, ya know?

Great that's totally going to ruin the movie when I see it 12 hours ago....That said, I was of the opinion that they kinda rushed things a bit. I thought that a lot of the side characters like Neevle (or whatever his name is) and the rest of Dumbledore's army were left almost entirely in the background. It kinda makes most of the events of the previous film kinda not all that important.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »

Great that's totally going to ruin the movie when I see it 12 hours ago....That said, I was of the opinion that they kinda rushed things a bit. I thought that a lot of the side characters like Neevle (or whatever his name is) and the rest of Dumbledore's army were left almost entirely in the background. It kinda makes most of the events of the previous film kinda not all that important.

Yes, this movie felt absolutely rushed. I remember when they cut to a scene in winter and I was like "wait...where the hell did the last four months go? Harry JUST arrived at school like 10 minutes ago."

I think it's silly that they're turning the last book into two films. If any books deserved 5 hours worth of footage, it's five (because of length) and six (because of unskippable details).

Ramza

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

While I enjoyed it for the most part, I was let down too.
The omissions/changes are really bothering me.
Code:
The ending in particular. The movie completely took away the emotional punch it had in the book. I was picturing a much more "epic" scene. The battle/scuffle happening in the background while the Snape/Dumbledore scene takes place. It was just so blah.
Some of the more interesting "memories" were omitted, especially the one(2?) with snape.
Then the delivery of the "I'm the half-blood prince" line fell flat, too. The movie never even indicated that Snape was aware of Harry possessing the book.
Still...The cast was great, as always. Slughorn was perfect, and all the principals did very well.
take out the stupid quidditch and excessive Lavender scenes, and add in more of the essentials from the book, and I might have been happier.
But that ending...ugh.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »

The best film is still, and by far, the prisoner of azkaban. This one wasn't bad but it's only a prelude to the last 2 films. It establishes the horcrux story arc and the main characters finally realize how they feel about each other.

I have very, very high hopes for the last 2 films because deathly hallows is amazing and the potential for the films is insane. The moment I finished reading it I knew it couldn't be only 1 film.

As for this one, they cut the fight inside the castle and the funeral which is a fucking insult to the book it's based on. The scene on the lake was great. The burrow attack was a nice surprise. The millennium bridge attack was also a nice addition. The whole romantic comedy vibe was cool and the actors played their parts well.
In the end it was exactly what I was expecting though to be honest I'm surprised that it's doing so well. GOF was a lot more entertaining for casual movie goers who aren't fans of the books. For the first time since azkaban I sometimes got the feeling that it was dragging a bit. They established dumbledore's army in the previous film and don't even mention it in this one, it's ridiculous, specially considering that they are involved in a huge fight with the death eaters at the end of the book.
Nobody forces them to leave the castle, they walk in, destroy the great hall just for kicks and just walk away by their own free will. I mean, seriously, WTF?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »

First movie I watched out of how ever many they did, never read the books.

On a stand alone movie in my prospective, it was ok. It was funny here and there and the romantic comedy was good. The visuals were pretty cool. Umm, well that's it.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »

Can anyone remind me: what's the downside to having horcruxes?  (I mean for yourself.  You don't want the bad guy to be nearly indestructible, obviously.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
óKurt Vonnegut
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »

Watched it last night. I think it's my least favorite of the entire series! I was extremely disappointed mostly because their attempts at humor fell very flat. Also, the teenage romance stuff was excessive. And most of all, the movie was slow. The only parts I got excited about involved the memories of Voldemort.

I was most let down by the end of the movie.. which, despite Dumbledore's death, STILL felt anti-climactic.

I'm a fan a books and loved movies 1-4, but 5 and 6 really did nothing for me.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 02:44:41 PM »

Can anyone remind me: what's the downside to having horcruxes?  (I mean for yourself.  You don't want the bad guy to be nearly indestructible, obviously.)

Well,
Code:
You have to murder someone for each horcux and some people don't want to do that. Voldemort made 7 (which means he killed 7 people just for the horcruxes) It is also ripping the soul into different pieces, which I don't think is a good thing.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:16 PM »

Ah - the first part is what I was forgetting.  Thanks for the reminder.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
óKurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: