Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340887 Posts in 13930 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Bazaar
| | |-+  Tips on Selling Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tips on Selling Games  (Read 3593 times)
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »

Well, it's sad to say but I think I'm getting over my hobby of collecting RPGs/games and have been entertaining the idea of ending my packrat ways and selling games I've beaten and have no more desire to keep or play.  Money's tight, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me in doing this in the most lucrative way possible.

I guess eBay is the best outlet for selling stuff, but it seems really confusing/overwhelming after looking over their website. My co-worker suggested I try Amazon.com as she sold her textbooks there and said she had good experiences with them.

Any feedback greatly appreciated, as I'm pretty much clueless as to how to get the ball rolling on this.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »

I considered selling all of my games as one bundle on Ebay... but since I didn't actually want to sell them at all, I nickle-and-dimed them all away to Gamestop, bit by bit, believing "I'll be back for you soon, Digital Devil Saga 1 Deluxe Box Set."

I'd sell it all bundled, through ebay.  You only have to go to the post office once that way, too.  Plus, if you have a really rare game in the mix, a potential customer may bite the bullet just for that one.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »

Yeah, honsetly, ebay is the safest way to go.  You will hear alot of people whining about "epay" and crap, but I've only ever had 1 deal go bad, and I didnt get any assistance due to my own faillings in trusting the person to compensate me when they never did.

Its really not all that complicated to be honest.  Id suggest getting paypal, even though there can be additional fees, just because its another layer of security.  If you want it simplest, then do as Fei said and just list it as a single lot of items.  Make sure you are clear and concise, list any flaws.  Flashy is never better than informative.  Pictures if you can. 

They have 2 methods of listing.  1 is the simple, 2 is the advanced.  I use the latter as I find it easier to use than the simple one.  The ebay support is also quite good at helping out.  They do have a 24/7 I believe chat you can use, so if you have any problems, they can talk to you in real time about it.

You could try something like craigslist, but id definately make sure to use a system like paypal, because there is very little in the way of making sure the person is reliable. 

I should mention for ebay there are also options to limit who can bid on your item, so you can also protect yourself a little that way.

So yeah again, im gonna highly recommend ebay.  Ive used it for years, its done me good.  The fees can be a bit of a pain at times, but usually they will say how much of a percent off the final value it will be, and you can work that out into your pricing.  A small price to pay in my eyes.  Even with the fees its SOOOO much better than gamestop.

Your only other possible option is if there are any other used media retailers in your city or nearby, that may give decent prices.  I know around me in Green Bay, we have Mega Media Xchange (I used to work for em) and their buy prices were usually higher than gamestop, and the sell prices were the same or lower.

Also this should probably be moved to helper monkey, but I dunno.

Hope that helps, and if you need any more info, just send me a PM and ill see what I can do.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »

1. Get paypal or some sort of service like that.
2. Ebay
3. ??????
4. Profit

What games are you looking at selling?????

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »

Looks like eBay is the best way to go. Thankfully I already have Paypal since I buy off of eBay. Thanks Serene Prophet for all the info, was very helpful. =D

Wild Armor: A lot of PS2, PS1, and a few DS and PSP RPGs. Basically everything I've beaten out of my collection.

Edit: Actually, I might just compile a list with prices when I have the time and post it on here.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »

Thanks, I'm buying a psp this week and I wouldn't mind buying some games off you if the titles entices me. :D

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: