Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 04:53:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338003 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Skies of Arcadia - Should I?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia - Should I?  (Read 7003 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »

As already mentioned, yes, there is extra content. One of which being a new rival character with a badass scythe, who's actually pretty fucking hard to beat. She's along the lines of CT's Spekkio in that you can fight her multiple times for different rewards. There's also the Moonfish sidequest, which I think is pretty fucking cool, and you can get some fantastic rewards from it. Including super-rare weapon drops from endgame dungeons, which you can get by turning in some amorphous glowing fish.

@Ryos: Lambda Burst go!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »

Skies is one of the grandest and most epic games I've ever played. If you like rich exploration and sweeping (game engine) cinematics, then this is the game for you. Don't worry that it's last generation, many games this generation look at about the same level (Tales of Vesparia, Persona, etc). The game offers quite a few things that have never been done before or since. The overworld navigation is the best in the history of RPGs, period. The scenery is downright breathtaking. And it never loses its sense of adventure.

Basically, take "Pirates of the Carribean" and set it in the Miazaki's world of "Castle in the Sky" (Lapoota), and you'll have a good idea of what the game is like. Oh, and PLEASE do youself a favor and play it on the GameCube. As someone who's played it on both, the GameCube version is infinitely better, with more sidequests, better graphics, and less random battles, the GC version is better in every way except for sound (which suffers slightly).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »

Blah blah progressive scan removal, okay, sure... who here plays games in progressive? Better question, who here has a TV that can even do that shit? I'm willing to bet money that most don't, so... bleh.

Actually... a good number of us probably DO have a TV that can do that, because progressive scan (in this case) is referring to 480p, which every HDTV worth mentioning supports. Technically the Dreamcast version supported the VGA box, but it still gave 480p in the end which made it MUCH sharper than the GC version, and last I checked most HDTVs come with a VGA input that make this fairly easy to do. Also, Phantasy Star Online had progressive scan support so I find it unlikely they couldn't have put it on the GC version. There IS the matter of the proprietary cables that you have to hit up eBay for, but that's only if you have a GC rather than a Wii, and most people have probably moved on.

Anyways, I wasn't actually arguing for the DC version being definitive, just that the GC version isn't. The former has an encounter rate that's more irritating, longer loads, and bonus content forever out of reach due to the requirement for an online connection, while the latter remedies those issues and adds bonus content, but has some technical issues and horribly converted music. Damn, the degraded sound quality made the game unplayable on my prior TV.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:21:17 PM by Eusis » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »

My pimpin 50" HDTV has 480p...wish more PS2 games supported it...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »

I have an HDTV and I know other people on this board do as well. Lack of progressive scan is a major downside for me. I've never played the game, but always wanted to.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »

A recent playthrough of SaGa 2 (FFL2 wahtever~) and its encounter rate had me nearly vomitting and crying at the same time.

IIRC the encounter rate somehow varied depending on which GB model you're playing on (as do stat gains) but in any case you can pretty much freely run from any battle so it's not really that big of a deal.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »

Also, I've been through THREE Dreamcasts. Much like the Saturn, the game library was wonderful, but the console itself was shoddily made.

What are you doing to your consoles? I have two dreamcasts and they work fine.

As for the DC/GC discussion, getting the DC version is not a bad choice at all in case you couldn't get the GC version. The encounter rate is not as bad as some make it seem.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 07:19:17 AM »

Tell me what to play, I can't make choices on my own!

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »

Pick it up dude.No reason not do so

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »

Also, I've been through THREE Dreamcasts. Much like the Saturn, the game library was wonderful, but the console itself was shoddily made.

What are you doing to your consoles? I have two dreamcasts and they work fine.

Played PSO on them for four years. It'll fuck yer shit up, son.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: