Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 01:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331343 Posts in 13570 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Church is FUCKEN Awesome now!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Church is FUCKEN Awesome now!!!!!  (Read 12688 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »

I wish there were something I could do about people like Mike Murdock http://www.mikemurdock.com/

He doesn't need a sweet guitar solo to make money... all he needs is my mother's faith.  Meanwhile, her gas heating has been disconnected, allowing for cold showers... only.  But God will keep her warm.. when she's burning in hell for funding this Mike Murdock motherfucker.

Christians?  No.  Christianity?  Yes.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »

I think the issue with, say, multimillion dollar churches is that this powerful, influential, insanely wealthy religious body sometimes appears to exhibit some of the corruption and greed people associate with evil corporations.  Hence why Christianity is both ardently commended and condemned. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »

I imagine more of it actually has to do with the crazier followers of the religion, or even sensible people being sensitive over things that many others don't see as an issue or don't think should be one, just look at the D&D hysteria decades ago or the evolution fiasco that's still going on. It's probably more akin to fandoms here really, think of how rapid fanboys/girls can be off putting.
Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »

just look at the D&D hysteria decades ago or the evolution fiasco that's still going on

I remember when I was younger and went to church, we had a police officer come for an evening seminar about the evils of drugs and D&D, which all the dealers played to add to the peer presure, because they played the Dungeon Master and got to be in control.  The topper was when she pulled out a blank map and gave a five minute lecture on how 'once you get into this dungeon, your characters will die or never get to leave.  The entire game is one big trap.'

For those that go to a church that is open and willing to actually learn about the origins of their beliefs, more power to you.  For me, I ended up getting a minor in religion so I could get a firm knowledge of where the Christian background I was raised up with came from.

That site in the OP scared me.  I'm not sure that it was sending the right kind of message...   That angel figurine looked like a D&D miniature - maybe they have sessions of D&D for Jesus?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »

That intro was awesome. The desperation is hilarious.

Ha Ha, religion.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »

Ha Ha, religion.
Is that seriously all you people have these days?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

It almost sounds like that Herbert Hoover quote: "the only thing wrong with capitalism is capitalists." 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »

That line gets a lot of play and I admit, the wordplay is amusing but lets not forget all the other things in the book. The bits about doing good and so on are fine but if you really needed a manual on 'how not to be a dick' there wasn't that much hope to begin with.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »

I wish there were something I could do about people like Mike Murdock http://www.mikemurdock.com/

He doesn't need a sweet guitar solo to make money... all he needs is my mother's faith.  Meanwhile, her gas heating has been disconnected, allowing for cold showers... only.  But God will keep her warm.. when she's burning in hell for funding this Mike Murdock motherfucker.

The sad part is, shes given what little she has to her religion (A true sign of christianity.  I remember that story of the one lady who dropped like the few coppers she had into the plate or whatever.  Forget where in the bible the story is..its been a LONG time), while hes living the high life off her contribution (Basically everything christianity doesnt stand for) 

Again this view is based off of how I was taught what Christianity was.  I was raised in a baptist church.  They were quite good, very kind people, never taught any kind of bigotry or anything but kindness and help.  The church was simple and plain.  They made sure it was functional and stuff, but never anything grand or vain.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »

It's funny you bring up D&D. I kind of see the religion/atheism thing as the difference between mainstream pen & paper RPGs and indie ones such as Prime Time Adventures. Some people needs a GM to make them follow the rules or they dick around and ruin it for everyone else. Other people just recognize that "hey, these behaviors make sense, I don't need a GM or rulebook to make me follow them." Either way, if it keeps people from being dicks to each other, I suppose it's personal preference.

Oh, and religious fanatics are Munchkin gamers. They follow the rules to a ridiculous degree, interpreting them to their own whim and BECOME giant flaming dicks.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »

Ha Ha, religion.
Is that seriously all you people have these days?
Oh come on, man. I was just goofing. I'm pretty sure Losfer was doing the same. Most of "us people" are quite indifferent to the whole thing.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »

No no, here me out bro. I just have this irritating itch of people who mock something that way. Like, if someone feels a certain way, well, let'em. However... (rant/tirade approaching...?)

Let us take for example, Scientology. A "religion" I cannot, and never will tolerate. In fact, I'll condemn it every chance I get. My mother and I have egged the shit out of a giant Scientology building in LA once.

Oh fuck yeah Scientology. The only religion where you are forced to pay tens-of-thousands of dollars to be strapped to boiler pipes in your cruise ship initiation, so you can be brain washed, destroyed psychologically, and made to believe you have committed sinister crimes against mankind that they will blackmail you with. IE: They will hold something over you that you "admit to" during their "confessions." Thereafter, they have full legal right according to the contract you signed, that you paid to sign, to report it to the authorities.

Examples include raping and/or molesting a family member; committing first degree murder, etc. They will force you to believe that you have done these things, and whilst demeaning your basic human rights, they will force you into slave labor while you continue to pay them to brainwash the world further.

Thus, allow me to wrap this up quickly by saying

As far as other religions are concerned, I think it's just pretty dicked up to say "people who follow religion are worth laughing at." To mock an entire ethnic or racial group or otherwise for something that essentially says "be kind to one another, share your life's wisdom, and love the unloved when they are in pain."

Sorry, but mocking that really just does seem fucked up in my eyes. I'm an absolutely devout Christian, but I've not been to church for over a decade. Organized religion in pretty much any form isn't MY thing, but I don't condemn those who follow it. I do, however, feel sorry for people who are delusional to the point they think their money-driven Christ-worshiping is "right" in any way in any sense.

Just the same as you, and yes I actually remember this, I have an aversion to black people.

WEEEEE-OOOOOOOOOOOHH DRAMA ALARM no shut up listen

I live in SoCal. There's a lot of bad types of black people down here. It just so happens I've been physically assaulted by blacks to the point my life was in severe jeopardy, all because they were cross-faded as hell (drunk and smoking too much weed, for the less-learned in this silly vocabulary). So, what'd they decide to do?

Kill whitey IE: Me

I don't take kindly to that, and where I live, the majority of blacks are drug dealers. I had them live across the street from me, waking up in the morning to see police cars and ambulances at their house on a number of occasions to learn he'd bashed his wife's face in and broke the flesh apart down to her neck––in front of their 2 and 3 year old children.

Did that go to a really, really hateful place to anyone just now? It really should, but just the same, it's also no means on MY part to hate or hold anything against the black ethnicity. I just have an entire LIFE that's made me weary in their presence. It's unfair, and I wish it wasn't like that. But I know how I feel, and that's how I feel most of the time.

However, I'd be naught but a monument of fooldom if I didn't read up on their heritage and past to know more about them... the same way I encourage religion-haters etc to actually know what the fuck they're talking about if they're going to talk brazenly on the subject. If people don't like it, I often ask them why, and listen to what they have to say. I'll be blunt on the matter though, it's usually stupid shit that makes no sense, oft leaving me in a stupor of disbelief that they actually think any religion is actually in any way like what they speak.

Let me lay down a case in point: Blacks sold blacks to the white man to be slaves in America. Whenever I hear someone talking about wanting reparation money for something "my" ancestors (WHO WERE IN ITALY AT THE TIME BY THE WAY, YOU GIANT NEGRODAMUS, FUCK), "sold them into slavery." I just laugh my ass off and remind them that their ancestors wanted our white-man GUNS to hunt with, instead of their age-old heritage-driven traditions.

In short: The black man sold his brother out for guns. Who fucked up now? Now get off my fucking lawn, you damn kids.

Anyway, I'm just ranting, but my point remains...

Dios, out~
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »

That's lots of hyperbole and froth to sift through, but just for the sake of reality, let's not forget to mention that many traders would intentionally destabilize a region with guns allowing them to capture everybody-- in place of what was usually done, buying prisoners of war. Let's also take the time to remember that many warchiefs had at times been slaves themselves. Their notion of slavery was somewhat less permanent and more identifiable with a type of servitude or lessened social status. You could rebuild your position in society. Not quite the same thing once they were taken across the atlantic, or shipped to asia or the west indies for hard labour.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »

Yeah and you know what's funny? Back in ancient christian times, slaves were commonplace too. Big difference being the slaves wanted to be slaves because their masters took care of them and treated them fairly. The westernized rendition of slavery however is to get tons of them, treat them like shit, and sit on a rocking chair with a shotgun drinking a 40 and not do shit. In other words, America fucked a perfectly good concept and idea, straight into the ground. A trend began around this point, I believe!

Plus, I also have to play devil's advocate and remind folks that without slavery in the south, America likely would never have jump-started its agricultural economic beginnings, and America would've been long-since fucking dead already without it. Slavery is bullshit, but it has its purpose in America, even today it benefits us.

But again my point here is "at least have substance and facts in some regard." Instead of just saying "lol black people."
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »

That's nonsense. People were put into slavery because they had debts, were criminals, were seen as lower class, born to slaves, etc. If people wanted to be slaves, there wouldn't have been an omnipresent fear in the ancient world of slave revolts. Slavery in the south helped American prosperity undoubtedly..... to a point (not to mention the Chinese, thanks for the rail roads). It also helped keep southerners chained to a dying system (seeing as places like India and Brazil were able to produce ever cheaper goods with their own slaves near the end of the system) in place of modernizing towards factory work and such like the north. Exploiting European immigrants later on is what really put us at the top. These are still however, poor justifications for what our nation did-- and we need to reinforce this. Regardless of the outcomes or reasons: systematically exploiting other people is simply not right. Shifting the blame back towards Africans willing to sell other Africans will never make up for the fact that we were right there willingly and greedily encouraging this for our own benefit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:15:46 PM by Takezo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: