Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338681 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Church is FUCKEN Awesome now!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Church is FUCKEN Awesome now!!!!!  (Read 12784 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

I think I need to just restate myself in much less words:

Slavery is fine if the master isn't a dickhead. When that happens, God kills kittens.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 06:51:30 PM »

Slavery is fine if the master isn't a dickhead. When that happens, God kills kittens.

This is a very controversial opinion (the former part). Many people today believe slavery is outright wrong, no matter what, end of story. Myself? I think the concept of the "indentured servant" is not a bad one. Choosing to give your life to another person's household in exchange for protection and financial relief...I can imagine myself choosing this route myself, maybe 700-1600 years ago.

But because of how Americans equated slavery with racial oppression in the 1700s and 1800s, I don't share my opinion all that often, because someone might think I'm racist. Hell, given the right circumstances, I'd have gladly served in the household of a wealthy black family. It all comes down to socioeconomic status, not race, right?

And if we're honest with ourselves, something loosely identical to indentured servanthood still happens in America, just on a corporate level instead of in families. But if that corporation is controlled by a family, then yeah...you're just one step closer.

Ramza

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »

Allow me to add some more irritants into the cauldron then.

We're all servants of God and slaves to him, so the Earth in its entirety doesn't mean jack shit anyway. yeehaw
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »

And if we're honest with ourselves, something loosely identical to indentured servanthood still happens in America, just on a corporate level instead of in families. But if that corporation is controlled by a family, then yeah...you're just one step closer.

Having been a contract worker at 3M headquarters, I can confirm this analogy.  The funny part is that the badges we used to enter the building were a different color than the 3M eployees.  "They don't like the color of my badge" was a common joke.  We could have been fired at any time for any reason, we were offered no benefits, and our clients didn't respect us.  It was just nice working in a gigantic, clean environment.  Oh, and the pay was shit, of course.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »

This is a very controversial opinion (the former part). Many people today believe slavery is outright wrong, no matter what, end of story. Myself? I think the concept of the "indentured servant" is not a bad one. Choosing to give your life to another person's household in exchange for protection and financial relief...I can imagine myself choosing this route myself, maybe 700-1600 years ago.

Ramza

Except for the part where they don't pay you because you have very few legal rights and the part where you can forget about leaving because your master insists that you have yet to pay him back for all the expenses you've incurred. Ask the Irish what they think about indentured servitude. They'll tell you all about it. I know you guys probably hate communism. The most common argument used to pop holes in that red balloon is that: "only works on paper" much the same as the system you can imagine yourself choosing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:20:31 PM by Takezo » Logged
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »

Instead of saying, hey indentured servitude isn't so bad, can we maybe shoot for something better? Like, maybe a more egalitarian society? You don't have to be religious to think that's a good idea.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »

Yeah, I can't believe we're actually wrestling with the idea of 'good' slavery. I'm practically tripping over the figurative bar.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »

Don't I just bring out the worst argumentative side in people? Bwa ha ha ha ha.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »

I started laughing after the intro when I heard the guitar. Very Wayne's World.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 02:32:09 AM »

We're all servants of God and slaves to him, so the Earth in its entirety doesn't mean jack shit anyway. yeehaw

Dude, at this point you're just being a troll. I don't care /what/ your religious beliefs are, this is ridiculous. Just because a person has spiritual values does not give them license to ignore worldly responsibilities and moral values. In fact, if the spirit of Christianity is to be believed, the idea of slavery is abhorrent. Surrendering one's ego to the service of God, to the service of promoting good ethics and compassionate actions? Yes, that makes sense. Slavishness however, is not that spirit.

I've encountered enough people who use slave to meant good servant. But there is a very big problem with that: A slave is property. It is a material possession, with no free will nor rights of its own. Even from a literalist point of view as regards the Bible, this is a problem. Firstly because God grants humanity free will, secondly because there is repeated rejection of materialism, and because the entire role of the Christ is to make human beings aware of treating one another with an equal, loving, and just spirit.

You don't inhabit any of those qualities, and haven't for years now. I've seen you go from a pretty sensible if outspoken human being to someone obsessed with being controversial. Get a damned grip on yourself and address who you are both mentally and spiritually.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »

Let me lay down a case in point: Blacks sold blacks to the white man to be slaves in America. Whenever I hear someone talking about wanting reparation money for something "my" ancestors (WHO WERE IN ITALY AT THE TIME BY THE WAY, YOU GIANT NEGRODAMUS, FUCK), "sold them into slavery." I just laugh my ass off and remind them that their ancestors wanted our white-man GUNS to hunt with, instead of their age-old heritage-driven traditions.

In short: The black man sold his brother out for guns. Who fucked up now? Now get off my fucking lawn, you damn kids.

Anyway, I'm just ranting, but my point remains...

Dios, out~

thats like saying if you buy drugs from a dealer the dealer is to blame and not you? Fuck that shit. i'm not sure where i stand on the reparation thing but.... i do know native americans got reservations,and japaneese americans that were placed in internment camps during WW2 got reparations. meanwhile i wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line someone on my family tree was lynched.

if thats the case where do i sign up for the underground railroad!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:06:49 PM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 02:45:07 PM »

I have joked "Does being raised Christian count as a disability?" while looking into financial aid for college tuition.  I never lied to my parents as a kid, much to my friends' dismay.  Only recently have I learned how important it is to hide certain truths, and I'm not as good at it as I should be by now.  Ripping people off is another area I fail in.  At the same time, being holy to the point of starvation defiles the holy temple (body), right?  There's no way to win by following the rules, it seems.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that being a black guy with a disability will greatly increase your chances of getting into a good school.  I'm half black, but my birth certificate says white, because they go by the mother's race apparently.

So instead of studying and doing something relevant, I'm trying to get diagnosed with ADD and prove that I'm black.  It feels wrong, but is it unchristian?  I don't even care anymore, because I want a better life, regardless of afterlife.

I think I just ranted.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »

and prove that I'm black. 

Well, many anthropologists believe that the first signs of human/hominid life originated in Africa and that people from other continents are Africans who migrated there and adapted different traits to better survive in the different kinds of environments.  So by that theory, we're all African anyway. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »

That guy was right when he called you a black guy after all!

So if it's not Adam and Eve, nor Adam and Steve, it must be Jamaal and Shaniqua.

All things considered, I do believe in god and consider myself Christian... but I'm sure there are thousands of groups who would say I'm doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:50:42 PM by Fei » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »

i'm not sure where i stand on the reparation thing but.... i do know native americans got reservations,and japaneese americans that were placed in internment camps during WW2 got reparations. meanwhile i wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line someone on my family tree was lynched.
Reparations should only be paid to people who were directly affected by an action, in my opinion. If you want to give everyone who was fucked over by America reparations, that means any non-white person can demand it.

Anyway:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: