Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341041 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How Would You Make an RPG Based On...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How Would You Make an RPG Based On...  (Read 4793 times)
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2006, 06:51:44 AM »

All right, here's how this works:  I'm going to name some books, movies, cartoons, anime, manga, or non-RPG video games, and you tell me how you would make an RPG based on the things I name--what would the storyline be and what special features would it have.  If you're feeling extra frisky, you can add titles to the list!

Now, let's start, easiest/most predictable ones at the top.

Street Fighter II
The Three Musketeers
Gatchaman
Dune
Thundercats
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
David the Gnome
Gumby
Smurfs

*Giggles as he wonders how people are gonna answer*
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »

Street Fighter 2 is easy, you make Namco x Capcom!  Apparently, it just got rereleased under Japan's Greatest Hits budget line; I would definitely pick it up if I didn't have a big backlog of games already.

demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »

Dune would be a pen-and-paper RPG. I really can't see it as any other way.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:47:32 PM »

Alright....I'll tackle Gumby. So this...in my eyes, would play a lot like Super Mario RPG, only I'd make it have more of a complex battle system. The story would involve the Blockhead Army terrorizing the world of Gumby, and it's up to Gumby, that horse, and Gumby's other clay friends to save the world.

In introspect, this story parellels Mother 3's storyline. If it were as quirky and disturbing as Mother 3, then it would be pretty interesting. In fact, if you watch the Gumby show, it is rather strange....the whole vibe.

As for the battle system, I'd make it have an active time battle system. Also, to clarify...this would be a sprite game..perhaps even have cel-shaded graphics. Anyway, going back to the gameplay, I'd also have some action elements out of battle, like the abilities to jump, run, and hit things.

Thinking about it now, that unique feature in the game would probably revolve around the clay itself. I would create interesting special attacks, where as, Gumby and his friends would be able to mutate their clay bodies however they wish, coming up with some amusing attacks.

So yeah, I see this game playing a lot like the Kingdom Hearts games, Super Mario RPG, and the Mother games.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 12:14:52 AM »

Wow... that description of a Gumby RPG is so compelling that it makes me wish someone would actually design it.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 02:35:40 AM »

I would make a Smurfs strategy RPG, in vein of the Nippon Ichi games, or Growlanser games. The story would be about the Smurfs having to protect their village from that evil sorcerer....whose name escapes me at the moment, with his minon, that cat. And of course, he'd have his own share of minions to do his biddings.

Just to add an extra flavor to the game.....I'd include different types of races of characters that join the Smurfs..in their war against the evil humans. Now..you ask, how would miniature-sized Smurfs be able to battle with giant-sized humans? Well, I'd suggest the feature that the Smurfs AND humans are able to change sizes at will..thus, inviting a need to battle one another in many locations, and in many circumstances.

Battle-wise, I wouldn't make anything too differently....nothing that you wouldn't expect in your typical strategy RPG. Perhaps you could perform group attacks, as a whole, against your enemies..as a special occasion, per se. Maybe you can also use your size to your advantage and also perform devestating attacks.

... I'm on a roll. :P
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 03:11:19 AM »

The Three Musketeers would make an awesome action-RPG in the vein of Kingdom Hearts. You'd play as D'Artagnan, with Athos, Porthos, and Aramis as computer controlled NPC (altough you'd be able to take control over them yourself, if you wish).

The game doesn't necessarily have to follow the story of the book all that closely. Let's stick with something easy, like that the evil cardinal is plotting to off the French king and install a puppet ruler who he himself would have control over. You, as the player, would somehow become knowledagble of this plot and together with the three musketeers you set out save France. Not like story fucking matters in ARPGs. :P

Anyhow, gameplay would be pretty basic button mashing with puzzles thrown in here and there. Various sword attacks would be mapped to the face buttons on the controller, and you would be able to learn combo attacks and special skills from swordmasters that you frequently stumble across out in the gameworld.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 10:45:30 AM »

I like the idea of Three Musketeers as an Action-RPG, but Cardinal Richelieu wasn't exactly evil.  He did what he thought was best for France, even though he did sometimes overstep his bounds and get into dick-wars about things (Queen Anne, for example).  It's just that some people didn't like him.

Of course, some interesting stuff is going on in the later books.  You could tie a "replace King Louie with a puppet ruler" plot into the whole Man in the Iron Mask thing.

And Miho:  The wizard's name was Gargemel, and his cat's name was Azrael.

Me = Cartoon freak ^__^.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

Which is why I said that the plot doesn't necessarily have to follow the book. Admittedly, I haven't read The Three Muskeeters (because my local bookstore never has it in), so I was pretty much basing it on hearsay :P
Penance

otakujuggalo777@aol.com otakujuggalo777 penance17420
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »

well i'm feeling frisky so ill add my own idea. Sour patch kids RPG...yes an RPG based on candy.the story is thus...

in a bleak future you are manufactured to bring joy to kids around the world ( or just american i dont know if SPK is cross continental) your journey from the factory to the store lands you in an eppic battle aginst the evil TB (taste buds) who want nothing more than to devour you body mind and soul.

gameplay wise it would be like chrono trigger. your powers come from whatever flavor you are. special flavoring called "sour and super sour" gives you your experiance and lets you level up to gain new skills. you can use teamup attacks by crossing flavors. you can gain various candy coated shells as armor.

....now that i look back at what i've typed this could sell in japan.

"there is no try, only do, or do not"
Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 04:55:20 AM »

I really have no idea but when I looked at Dune I though summoning sand worms to ride and smiote your foes and such lol

James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 05:40:57 AM »

Quote from: "Scree"
I really have no idea but when I looked at Dune I though summoning sand worms to ride and smiote your foes and such lol

Actually, I'm pretty sure Dune HAS been adapted into an RPG at least once.

Nevertheless, I would think the best way to do it would be simply take the plotlines of Frank Herbert's six original novels (and make up your own conclusion) and wrap some gameplay around them.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:42:04 PM »

Quote from: "James8BitStar"
Actually, I'm pretty sure Dune HAS been adapted into an RPG at least once.

Nevertheless, I would think the best way to do it would be simply take the plotlines of Frank Herbert's six original novels (and make up your own conclusion) and wrap some gameplay around them.

Don't know about an rpg, but i know it has been made into an awful RTS. Plus, if they were to make it based around all 6 novels, you could have some chapters with Paul/Moad'ib, some with Leto and some with The Other People (don't know anything about Heretics or Chapter House of Dune so I dunno who the main ppl are). It would be fun to see how they'd represent the Ultimate Godly Powers of Paul and Leto.

(If I haven't done the quote thing properly, its because this is my first post on a forum. You can all laugh at me if you like)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 01:59:58 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
(If I haven't done the quote thing properly, its because this is my first post on a forum. You can all laugh at me if you like)

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 03:14:38 PM »

duh. I had actually done that but left the last bit in for amusement. Anyway, u can all laugh at me and call me a n00b. Oh wait, why am I telling u to do this?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: