Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334773 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Backlog?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RPG Backlog?  (Read 9595 times)
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »

Is it just me, or are RPGs being localized and released way too fast these days.

I have sealed copies of Disgaea 3, Disgaea 2, Cross Edge, SMT: Devil Summoner 2, FFIV (remake), SMT: Devil Survivor, Lux Pain, Luminous Arc, Fire Emblem (DS), Phoenix Wright 3, Apollo Justice, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, The World Ends With You, and a few more sealed PS2 rpgs. Heck it might be a blessing that my XB360 RRoD'd last year as well! Right now I'm trying to finish Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Force II on the Sega Mega Drive Collection, and play Suikoden Tierkreis on the side...

Anyone else have trouble keeping up?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »

That's a lot of games man. I try to keep my list down to 3 or 4 and only get new games when I finish the ones I have.

Right now I'm playing the games in my sig and I don't intend to get into anything else untill I finish at least 2 of them and at this rate it will take a while...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »

Mine's about 50. I bought a lot of them last year, but I've hardly touched any games since November. I know how it feels.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »

I've got four or five unbeaten games sitting around, which is a bit unusual.  Of course, I only plan on beating one of them, so it's not bothering me very much. :P

Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe it's cause we're older with more responsibilities (and perhaps income) now. I think I will try to duck away from Gamestop and video game sections on retailers for a bit....it's just so hard when Atlus sends me cool emails everyday!!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »

And considering we grew up in the SNES days where it was rare to get RPGs in the first place, that habitually kinda trained us to hoard them.  And since we get so many these days and many seem cool, old habits die hard.  A Gameshark is a wonderful tool to get through otherwise lengthy RPGs quickly, so I can just play for the story.  It was great for the Xenosaga games, esp. 2. 

For me, it's rare that I play a game these days that isn't for reviewing for the website (this definitely prioritizes my own gaming) but when I do it's usually something like a shooter. 

And watch out for RPG burnout.  It's when you feel an obligation to finish every game you own and then gaming feels like work when it's supposed to be fun.  Nowadays, I have some unfinished freeware indie RPGs, but I don't care that I'm not done with them.  I don't feel obligated to finish them.  I've kinda let go of that so even though I have a backlog, I can step away from it.  I did not always have that and would get rid of games a lot; out of sight out of mind and all that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:46:23 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »

And watch out for RPG burnout.  It's when you feel an obligation to finish every game you own and then gaming feels like work when it's supposed to be fun.

This is exactly what I'm going through at the moment. It's more a mentality of "crap, I bought all these games, I need to beat them so I won't feel like I wasted my money." And tying in this month's editorial, it really doesn't feel like I'm having fun at all.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »

I have about 30-40 unfinished too, this is mostly because I buy lots of cheap second hand games. I don't tend to buy new games all that often but I'm always out for a bargain.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:57:31 PM by DPB » Logged
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:05:24 PM »

I totally feel the burnout I'm thinking. I finished Stella Deus on the side the other week just cause I was on the last chapter, and felt "obligated" to finish it by loading the last save from Dec. 08'!

What can we do about this people? Is there somewhere we can get help?  Should we ebay everything and play WoW?

lol....kidding...maybe
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »

I have way too many. There are some things that I just gave up on eventually playing, or hoping to play, like Suikoden 3, and sold. So if you just consider stuff I have and still intend to play, plus what I intend to get/borrow/steal/emulate (like Persona 2), I probably have just 5-10 games. I don't have the time anymore for a gigantic backlog like I used to have :P

Expect me to get RPG/MegaTen burnout by the end of summer, though. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »

I dunno how many of my backlog games are specifically RPG's, but my backlog is so large at this point that I just don't like to think about it much anymore.  I get depressed when I do.  As to feeling "obligated" to clear it up, I kind of do, but I understand that I only have X time to play games and so I just chug along at whatever pace feels right.  It's one benefit to having such a huge backlog, if I get tired of playing something I just switch genres and start clearing away something else.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »

I think I find it more nagging if I have games I've barely touched at all yet have wanted to, or if I really wanted to get through a game. Valkyrie Profile 2 I don't feel as bad about as, say, Mother 3 or Planescape Torment. Then there's both Devil Summoner games that I haven't put more than 5 hours into combined.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »

I have a bad habit of opening an unplayed game before finishing the previous one.  I'll get bored by a game that is dragging on too long, and instead of trying to finish it, I'll start a new game and enjoy the newness of it.  Then, I get tired of that one... and the cycle repeats until I play something I can finish without a major lull.

Then I sell them, because I usually need to finish a game in order to form nostalgia-worthy memories.

But yeah, I looked at my (then expansive) game collection and wondered if I was making up for only getting one game per year as a kid.  There's nothing wrong with being a collector... it can't be worse than collecting stamps.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »

it can't be worse than collecting stamps.

At least there's more value to having the games, you can actually use them for something other than ogling or sticking onto an envelope to never see again.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »

Unfortunately, working 40 hours a week makes wading through a backlog hell regardless of how many games are released. :\

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: