Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Backlog?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: RPG Backlog?  (Read 9524 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »

I have replayed most of my favorite games but never right after I finish them. Starting over with an rpg right after spending 50 hours with it is crazy imo.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »

Depends on the game.  If it's a JRPG, it's generally linear and thus has little incentive to replay it.  If it's a WRPG, often times there are alternative paths and different dialogue trees that lead to the end, and I end up wanting to experience those parts.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »

Depends on the game.  If it's a JRPG, it's generally linear and thus has little incentive to replay it.  If it's a WRPG, often times there are alternative paths and different dialogue trees that lead to the end, and I end up wanting to experience those parts.

Even with those I'd rather play something different in between.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »

I just look at it optimistically. There is an absurd amount of RPGs that I haven't played but am interested in playing, so I pretty much know for a fact that I will never run out of RPGs to play in my entire life. Which is a good thing. Right?
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2009, 11:53:11 PM »

I have no backlog of RPGs, not anymore.  I kinda realized I was buying a ton of RPGs that I didn't really like back in the day.  Now I only invest in games that I follow thoroughly to make sure I like.  If I was the same guy I was 3-4 years ago, I would have fell to the 360 rpg hype machine and bought ES, IU, LO, BD, TLR and SO4; but I saved myself couple hundreds and just tested them at a friend's place to realize I didn't like any of those although Vesperia was close to making me buy the system.  Moral is I've become a really picky rpg fan, not sure if that's a good thing...

Finished RPG Count: 90
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 01:41:09 AM »

I'm quite having a hard time keeping up with my PS3 rpgs despite having a minimum selection. I have yet to finish Disgaea 3, Cross Edge, and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm still thinking if I should continue Demon's Souls.

But when it comes to PS1 RPGs, I don't have as much anymore because I've finished a lot of them except Wild ARMs 2 (playing it right now), Lunar 2, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi (last stage), and Thousand Arms.

I'm picky with my PS2 RPGs. I've only finished Tales of the Abyss, KH 1 and 2, FFX, Xenosaga Ep. 1, Persona 3 and 4, Suikoden 3 and 5, and Star Ocean 3.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »

I have a bad habit of buying to many games, Rpgs in general. Thus my backlog is getting insanely huge. Hell, I have games that I've yet to finish "all the way" back to the Psx era (most notably Vagrant Story).
For example, when Persona 3 was released everyone was praising it to the sky. I bought it (and later FES and P4) and I have yet to finish any of them. The only game I've finished in a month or so is inFAMOUS.

I need to ask a question though. Are there other people here who do a "test-run" if you will? Basically, you buy a new game, start it out and play it for a couple of hours (under 20 hours) only to stop playing the game for a couple of months and then start over from the beginning?
It sounds weird to be sure but it's an practice I've been doing for quite some time. Don't really know why, I'm guessing it's because I'm learning the mechanics of the game_before_I start truthfully playing it.
This obviously results in a lot of games played but few finished.

Sadness.

Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »

For me I wouldn't call it a "test run"... Being older now with more crap going on around me I find it hard to get totally immersed in RPGs and then lose interest.

With the exception of the recent Persona's and Fallout 3 which sucked me in, I'm always flip flopping between games. These days the games that I do finish, I am usually motivated by the power of nostalgia...such as when I beat Shining Force for the 10th time last month.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »

I'd estimate I have about 30-40 left to finish. OTOH, I'm a bit of a collector, so that doesn't bother me THAT much.

Still, as I've taken up other healthier hobbies and activities, video games have taken a bit of a backseat in general. Just getting older, I suppose.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »

I think tons of RPGs are being released if you include released games via multi platform. My conscience doesn't allow me to play multiple games at once. This is saddening. It means that all the indecisiveness I had pre-2005 significantly increased my backlog. Let me look at my backloggery account. . .

Okay. I've been sincerely trying to knock down this backlog too. This summer, I've beat Final Fantasy XII, Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner, Shadow Hearts from the New World, Suikoden V and Infinite Undiscovery. This officially puts my backlog at games I own to 15 unfinished. This is good. It means I am making progress. I won't exactly buy a new/used game unless I already have a file for it but am missing the game (my mom used to pawn shit and I'd find out later). So I need to replace my Kingdom Hearts, and Dark Cloud 2. I think once I finish this backlog and use this excess disposable income I have, I'll get more RPGs (like Mana Khemia, etc) to beat.

Yeah.

People who buy a bagillion games and never beat them boggle my mind. I know it's an addiction - like buying books you'll never read. But depending on your connoisseurship, books tend to be cheaper.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »

I definitely don't buy as many games as I used to, that's for damn sure. I buy games I have a definite interest in and know I'll want to finish, rather than years ago when I used to buy whatever sounded good and I'd like to play 'at some point'. Those games accumulated and I no longer cared to play them years later so they, like Xenosaga, got sold. That's pretty much the only reason my backlog shrank.

Plus I mainly jump on Atlus games right away because they tend to go out of print in like five minutes. :P

Right now I'm debating if I should even play Final Fantasy XII, or see what I can sell it + the guide for.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

I buy games I have a definite interest in and know I'll want to finish

That's what I do. Being picky really narrows it down and since you only have a couple of games to play you will eventually finish them because there's nothing else to distract you.

Right now I decided that I would invest my time in devil survivor and valkyria chronicles and untill I finish those I'm not touching another rpg (though I will make an exception for mothership zeta this week because it's short and well... it's fallout 3).
Then I'm also playing uncharted to add a little variety and because the game just fucking rulz.

Megidolaon
60MP of DOOM
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

That's what I do. Being picky really narrows it down and since you only have a couple of games to play you will eventually finish them because there's nothing else to distract you.
Hm, I'm extremely picky (not really by choice, I just can't enjoy many games I started, either they're a chore or drive me insane), but this often leads to extreme boredom as there isn't really anything I want to play.
Right now I'm playing like 10 games and until yesterday I didn't feel like playing any of them for over 2 months.

Anyway, I always had a huge backlog, but in recent months I played or tested most of these and got to the point where I either finished all games on my backlog or started them and realized I don't like them enough to play them, so it's more or less gone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: