Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319724 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Xbox 360: Which model should I go with?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Xbox 360: Which model should I go with?  (Read 2861 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »

So I am planning on purchasing an Xbox 360 sometime soon, mainly because I go where the JRPGs go.

I am wondering what model I should buy. I have pretty much eliminated the Arcade bundle, as it lacks a harddrive and I'd like to be able to download stuff. From my research, the Pro model comes with a 60GB harddrive. Is 60 enough, or should I go for the Elite, which has the 120GB? There are a few XBLA games that have taken my interest as well as the regular disc games. And of course game installing eats up the harddrive, that is if there are any installs involved.

Also, another thing to note is that when it comes to Xbox Live, I will most likely go for Silver. Reason is: I'm not really keen on paying for an online service, and I would probably rely on my PS3 for online gaming anyway. Of course, I'll try out the 1-Month Gold Trial and see if i'm keen then.

One other thing, I've heard many rumours lately that the Pro model will be scrapped, and the Elite will be cut-down in price. If this is true, then I might wait for that to happen and get an Elite. I could do that, or get the Gears of War (1 and 2) Pro bundle which is one of the 360 deals in NZ lately.

Thanks in advance for your help. Good day.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:53:11 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »

Well, if you plan on buying a lot of games over LIVE or installing your games onto the hard-drive then you really want an elite. I've seen the red "Resident Evil 5" Elite bundles still kicking around out there for around $400 bucks. Not a bad deal I suppose when you consider all the stuff included. But, if LIVE purchases and installs aren't going to be an issue then just save the money and go with a 60g model.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »

Well, if you plan on buying a lot of games over LIVE or installing your games onto the hard-drive then you really want an elite. I've seen the red "Resident Evil 5" Elite bundles still kicking around out there for around $400 bucks. Not a bad deal I suppose when you consider all the stuff included. But, if LIVE purchases and installs aren't going to be an issue then just save the money and go with a 60g model.

As much as the RE5 bundle sounds like a good deal, I already have Resident Evil 5 on the PS3. Therefore, I guess that particular bundle has been eliminated as well.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

I have the model with a 60 gig hard drive.  I also buy a lot of shit off Live.  I have no real complaints.

The only negative I can think of off the top of my head is that I can't install very many games to my hard drive instead of running them from the disc.  Then again, I tend to play one game at a time, so it doesn't bother me much. :P

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »

You have to decide if 60 more GB of hard drive space, a free HDMI cable, and the color black is worth an extra $100 in cost, because that's all the Elite has over the Pro model.  Back when the other models didn't have HDMI support and had either a tiny 20 GB hard drive or no hard drive at all, the Elite was worth the $100 more which is why I grabbed one.  Now that all models have HDMI support and more space for save files and what-not, the Elite is a rip-off in my opinion.

I recommend just picking up the Pro model, especially since the PS3 is your primary console of choice.  It comes with an AV/Component cable combo to hook up to an HDTV, but if you insist on HDMI, you can pick one up from Monoprice for like, $5.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

I have the model with a 60 gig hard drive.  I also buy a lot of shit off Live.  I have no real complaints.

Did you upgrade recently? Because I swear you had a 360 before they introduced the 60 gig HD and being able to only store one game sounds like owning a 20 gig HD.

I want to point out that Games on Demand will be out in less than two weeks, and one of the first games will be Mass Effect. If you're seriously interested in downloading titles then you may want to get the Elite.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »

You have to decide if 60 more GB of hard drive space, a free HDMI cable, and the color black is worth an extra $100 in cost, because that's all the Elite has over the Pro model.  Back when the other models didn't have HDMI support and had either a tiny 20 GB hard drive or no hard drive at all, the Elite was worth the $100 more which is why I grabbed one.  Now that all models have HDMI support and more space for save files and what-not, the Elite is a rip-off in my opinion.

I recommend just picking up the Pro model, especially since the PS3 is your primary console of choice.  It comes with an AV/Component cable combo to hook up to an HDTV, but if you insist on HDMI, you can pick one up from Monoprice for like, $5.

As much as I like Black as a colour, I am not bothered about what the colour is. I use a mid-90's TV for my systems, so the HDMI cable won't be needed. Besides, I already have an HDMI cable for the HDTV downstairs, which I bring the PS3 down for every once in a while to check out what certain games look like in HD.

I want to point out that Games on Demand will be out in less than two weeks, and one of the first games will be Mass Effect. If you're seriously interested in downloading titles then you may want to get the Elite.

Mass Effect is indeed a game that i'm interested in (played it on PC once, really liked it), but i'd rather have a physical copy of the game rather than have it available on my harddrive. I do like collecting games too, so this on-demand feature doesn't really catch my interest. The only games I wanna download are XBLA games (and maybe some Xbox classics), and I'm sure none of them are over 1GB.

At the moment, i'm leaning towards a Pro bundle. I only plan on continuing with XBL Silver after the 1-Month trial of Gold, unless there are games that make me change my mind. I'm quite happy with the content it comes with. 60GB should be enough for me, as I only plan to download XBLA games, and maybe one or two Xbox classics (unless I find 'em in disc format). I'm mainly getting the console for the exclusive RPGs, and possibly other exclusives (most multiplatform games I'll probably get on PS3). The Pro apparently comes with a headset, so that will be quite cool. Unless you guys have any other reasons why I should get an Elite, I think the Pro should do me. Next weekend, I'll have a look all around town and see all the deals. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:10:06 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »

The only games I wanna download are XBLA games (and maybe some Xbox classics), and I'm sure none of them are over 1GB.

There are a select few XBLA games that are over 1 gigabyte, but as far as I know they're only the Watchmen games and maybe Portal, and while Portal has the extra maps I don't think Watchmen has anything that isn't in the retail release.

Xbox games on the other hand, uhh, they were kind of on DVDs. That in and of itself means many of them will be at least a gigabyte. If you're seriously interested in those you may want to do some research to see which titles interest you and how big they are.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 05:25:54 AM »

The only games I wanna download are XBLA games (and maybe some Xbox classics), and I'm sure none of them are over 1GB.

There are a select few XBLA games that are over 1 gigabyte, but as far as I know they're only the Watchmen games and maybe Portal, and while Portal has the extra maps I don't think Watchmen has anything that isn't in the retail release.

Xbox games on the other hand, uhh, they were kind of on DVDs. That in and of itself means many of them will be at least a gigabyte. If you're seriously interested in those you may want to do some research to see which titles interest you and how big they are.

Portal is a great game, no doubt about that. I didn't have intentions on downloading it, but we'll see about that. Watchmen I can easily avoid. While I enjoyed the film, I have a strong disliking for all games based on films that aren't GoldenEye 007. As for the Xbox classics. After a good think about it, I will probably look for them pre-owned in disc format. Again, I prefer having physical copies of media. Besides, only a couple of Xbox games take my interest at the moment, maybe three.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:00:19 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »

Did you upgrade recently? Because I swear you had a 360 before they introduced the 60 gig HD and being able to only store one game sounds like owning a 20 gig HD.

...Heh. :P  No more posting immediately after getting off work for me. :P

ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 06:25:26 AM »

Alrighty, I just got myself an Xbox 360 Pro. I got the Gears of War bundle (1 + 2 for just $10 extra, no-brainer). My gamertag is ShadowLaguna. Thanks again for your help everybody.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »

Don't forget to install games to the drive before you play them.  The 360 generates considerably less noise and less heat... and your games will generally run better and load faster, especially Unreal Engine games like Gears of War and Mass Effect.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »

Just make sure you check the game you're installing, since there's a few that run worse if you install them.  Halo 3 being the prime example.  I wish there was more detailed info on installing games and the benefits to it.  I read that the next Xbox Dashboard update lowers the install size of games and supposedly improves the benefits as well.  Don't know any sites with reliable information on this process though.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »

I read that the next Xbox Dashboard update lowers the install size of games and supposedly improves the benefits as well.  Don't know any sites with reliable information on this process though.

There's a thread on Cheapassgamer about it, but as far as I've heard there weren't any additional benefits, though I believe leaving a smaller footprint on harddrives generally improves performance anyway. Anyways, while some games like King of Fighters XII have a very dramatic side decrease, most games don't benefit half as much I hear.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: