Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334801 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys I&II PSP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ys I&II PSP  (Read 2593 times)
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

The soundtrack on the DS version isn't that bad. It's not crisp high-quality like Sound Team JDK music should be, but it isn't horrid either.

It's the graphics and controls that ruin the game. The sprites are fine, but they used DS 3D (and obviously had no idea how to...) for all the environments, and it looks very, very bad. Everything looks grainy and jagged. I'm not a graphic connoisseur, but it made it hard to look at.

This isn't even comparing it the Windows version (or the PSP version now) which has gorgeous pre-rendered environments. It just looks bad from any viewpoint.

The controls are off too. You can choose whether to play stylus or d-pad. With d-pad you have to slash ala Ys V. With stylus, you point and Adol runs/attacks in that direction. The D-Pad method doesn't work well because it kills the fast paced nature of the game, and the stylus method doesn't work because your hand will block the screen and you'll end up messing up in intense combat.

Atlus needs to bring the PSP version. But given the response Legacy of Ys got, I doubt they'll double dip for it. Which would be a shame because if they researched they probably knew the DS version was considered a subpar port.
Myght

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 01:20:55 AM »

The PSP version does look sweet, but why just 1&2? I don't know that the others ever came to the U.S. or any other English country. I'd be doing naked back-flips If they localized all the Ys games for Engrish ;)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 03:24:25 AM »

The PSP version does look sweet, but why just 1&2? I don't know that the others ever came to the U.S. or any other English country. I'd be doing naked back-flips If they localized all the Ys games for Engrish ;)

Watch out while doing those backflips.

BTW, should i bother with Ys III snes version? I heard some mixed things about that one.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 03:39:04 AM »

BTW, should i bother with Ys III snes version? I heard some mixed things about that one.

I thought it was fun, but it's the Zelda II of the series in more ways than one. Oath in Felghana is the much more liked remake (it uses Ys VI's engine with Ys III's story), but that hasn't been ported to consoles or officially localized, and the fan translation that's out there has a lot of drama surrounding that could be dubious in and of itself (not like the guy can persecute you). Maybe we'll luck out and Falcom will eventually decide to port it to the PSP.
Myght

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »

If your an Ys fan, Hell Yes. It's not the masterpiece that the others are but It's still a piece of Ys history you'd miss out on If you did not play It, and what could that version cost? Ebay has tons of Snes versions from 3.75 to around 20.00 dollars for better condition, hardly a bank breaker. Star Wars 1,2,3 weren't the greatest movies In the series, but you still watched and enjoyed some of those movies... why, because It's freakin' Star Wars.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »

I don't like Star Wars, but yeah, i get your point D:
If your an Ys fan, Hell Yes. It's not the masterpiece that the others are but It's still a piece of Ys history you'd miss out on If you did not play It, and what could that version cost? Ebay has tons of Snes versions from 3.75 to around 20.00 dollars for better condition, hardly a bank breaker. Star Wars 1,2,3 weren't the greatest movies In the series, but you still watched and enjoyed some of those movies... why, because It's freakin' Star Wars.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: