Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  some FF14 stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: some FF14 stuff  (Read 6567 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »

some of us hardcore fans may have already seen this but it cant hurt to post anyways D:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/04/final-fa...new-job-system/

The latest edition of Famitsu Wave recently hit newsstands in Japan, bringing with it a DVD which contains an 8-minute exposé on Square Enix's second stab at the MMO genre, Final Fantasy XIV. The whole video is posted after the break. Fret not -- it sports convenient English subtitles.

Here's some of the more titillating excerpts: The game features a reinvented character progression system which does not include experience points or leveling up. The job system from XI will make an appearance, but in a heavily altered form -- an interview with the game's director, Nobuaki Komoto, revealed that the game will place a focus on the weapons players use, explaining that your armaments will determine "the way you play" and "the way you grow." Sounds reminiscent of Final Fantasy IX. (That's a very good thing.)

In addition, FFXIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka explained that the game takes place in a new region with a more "modern" feel to it -- the mysterious Eorzea which was mentioned in the trailer. The new world features familiar races (albeit with new names), and plays host to a "deep story," which is told through cut-scenes and quests. For more FFXIV info than you can possibly handle, check the video after the jump.

sounds similar to monster hunter no?

Race Scans

Someone translated the text on BG Forums regarding the characters:

"When you make your character, aside from choosing the race, you will also be able to customize their appearance. Head, skin color, hair type etc, there will be multiple factors. Just how exact we will be able to customize their appearance is still unknown, but we mean it in a good way when we say that it seems like it will become a worry to many players."

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:09:28 PM »

The tarutaru lallafels look creepy as hell.  I had considered perhaps making one in FFXIV, but now that I see what they're going to look like, no way.  I'll be sticking with making a generic look-alike of myself, again.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »

The tarutaru lallafels look creepy as hell.

Which is exactly why I will be one. Awesome.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »

The tarutaru lallafels look creepy as hell

Id still do the female one.  HA.  No but seriously yeah they dont look as cute, but maybe they will look better in game.

Im honestly excited about this, if only cause I really wanna see how they do the character progression.  If they can get rid of the (imo) cruddy Controls/GUI of XI and the HUGE timesink feeling of XI, then Id be very willing to try it.  I just hated how dull it felt, well everything outside of the storyline stuff.  And yeah.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:34 AM »

It's silly to change the race names. Everyone's just going to keep calling a galka a galka and a taru a taru. Unless it's someone who never played 11, in which case all it does is confuse newbies.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »

If they re-proportioned the heads on the Lallafels that would fix it up fast, otherwise they look fine. I really hope these designs arn't final.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »

More stuff at Bluegartr.  http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/79514-ffxi-races-ffxiv-pictures-new-13.html#post2960668
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »

So the details are that with Lalllafels (can I call them "Falafel"?), the females are scarce. Not "mithra" scarce, but more males than females. Hmm...

Wonder where that will lead us.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:25:11 PM »

So the details are that with Lalllafels (can I call them "Falafel"?), the females are scarce. Not "mithra" scarce, but more males than females. Hmm...

Wonder where that will lead us.

lots and lots of tarusechs err falafelsechs?

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:55:56 AM »

score -1 for originality. Honestly, if they were going to just re-use so much stuff from FFXI then keep the names the same and just rename it Vana'deil part 2. After this much time in "development" I was hoping for something more original than just a shinier engine. Oh well, hopefully they allow more character customization than before. I'm curious to see how this "your equipment determines your job, etc." is going to work, because if that's the case everyone and their damned monkey is going to argue about gear drops. Sometimes infinite flexibility isn't a good thing. I expect to see loot whoredom magnified x 100.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »

Pretty fucking disappointing on the FFXI re-using
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

i only hope that in their attempt to make it more mainstream friendly they dont destroy the things that made ffxi so fun. since they will allow skin tone changes this time maybe i'll try a black hume but then again maybe i'll stick with elf girl.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »

Official website got updated: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 05:42:29 AM »

Those environments look great...I'm officially a lot more excited just looking at those...just from those screens it feels like those areas will be huge. I hope exploration (Actual ADVENTURING) will have a stronger presence in this new game. I most definately want a seamless world, among other things.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 02:50:55 PM »

Yeah I admit the environments look pretty nice. Visually the game is a treat. I hope the game is more than FFXI-2 though. I hope the game is unique and not just a recycling of other MMOs.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: