Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 07:28:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335247 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  some FF14 stuff
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: some FF14 stuff  (Read 6505 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

I really don't understand this FFXI-2 claim.  They've completely abandoned the traditional experience system which almost every MMO released since 1998 has been doing after Everquest's success.  They're not using the same job system that set FFXI apart from just about every MMO out there.  The three new towns showcased look like nothing seen in FFXI.  The only similarities I see between FFXI and FFXIV are the blatant transfer of races and a game series title.  Oh yeah, and I suppose there's a bunch of lush meadows and hills with trees and green grass, but last I checked, that's par for the course in RPGs as a whole.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

The NA Official Site update is awesome. I spent a full hour reading stuff there. <3

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »

No Parn you don't understand. One jackass posted screens and called them "HD <zone name>" and thus, this one, random person who decided to call zones names from FFXI, works for Square-Enix, named the zones himself, and that is official and final because it was posted on BG.

Faggot.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »

I really don't understand this FFXI-2 claim.  They've completely abandoned the traditional experience system which almost every MMO released since 1998 has been doing after Everquest's success.  They're not using the same job system that set FFXI apart from just about every MMO out there.  The three new towns showcased look like nothing seen in FFXI.  The only similarities I see between FFXI and FFXIV are the blatant transfer of races and a game series title.  Oh yeah, and I suppose there's a bunch of lush meadows and hills with trees and green grass, but last I checked, that's par for the course in RPGs as a whole.

this is exactly what scares me. jobs like monk samurai and ninja are what kept me in the world of ffxi and away from WoW.

heres more screenies btw

http://kotaku.com/5332049/final-fantasy-xiv-screenshots-and-character-art-get-em-here/gallery/

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »

I spent some time looking over the updated site, and I have to say, I am very intrigued. As usual the lore looks like its going to be amazing. I just hope against all hope that they've learned some of their lessons from FFXI. I noticed alot of mention of reasonable content no matter how much playtime you have in many of the info pages and that's a plus. I just hope its not just lip service. I think the watercolors of the planned cities sold me :)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:29:54 PM »

I just hope against all hope that they've learned some of their lessons from FFXI. I noticed alot of mention of reasonable content no matter how much playtime you have in many of the info pages and that's a plus. I just hope its not just lip service.

These are my feelings exactly. And, sadly, "hope against all hope" is the sentiment I feel as well. It seems like every time they say they've got their act together, they either stay the same or take one step in the wrong direction. :P

Ramza

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »

i'm starting to feel like the odd man/woman out here in regards to ffiv. in a manner of speaking you could say i just want more of them same with better graphics. and thats not what we are getting so it is initially offputting. especially since i got bored of wow at around level 20. but i will with hold my final judgement till we see more.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »

i'm starting to feel like the odd man/woman out here in regards to ffiv. in a manner of speaking you could say i just want more of them same with better graphics. and thats not what we are getting so it is initially offputting. especially since i got bored of wow at around level 20. but i will with hold my final judgement till we see more.

The thing is SE doesn't want to move their current customer base in FFXI over to FF14 and leave it at that, that would be professional suicide.  They want to attract new customers, thus a new game, people who want to play FFXI will play it. 

Its too early to say its a wow clone, then again, a good wow clone is a good thing IMHO.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »

It's not possible for it to be a WoW clone on account of the fact that the game doesn't even use a traditional level system.  It's ditched the Everquest formula entirely, something FFXI and WoW both are based upon.  If anything, it seems to be looking more like the Ultima Online formula, a "sandbox MMO" type of direction.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:08 PM »

I think until we get more concrete information anything is possible. The tarot card system just seems like a cosmetic cover-up for questing. I would not be shocked if there was a leveling up system, but instead of the character its equipment... SURPRISE AND WELCOME TO YOUR NEW GRIND!!!!! I'm really trying to think outside the box for this game, but i'm terribly frightened of SE's habitual introduction of copied systems or at worst, broken systems, and painting it with a shiny new coat of paint, hoping to pass it off as groundbreaking. I really hope they start coughing up more information soon so we can speculate on facts not assumptions. 
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »

The thing is SE doesn't want to move their current customer base in FFXI over to FF14 and leave it at that, that would be professional suicide.  They want to attract new customers, thus a new game, people who want to play FFXI will play it.  

Its too early to say its a wow clone, then again, a good wow clone is a good thing IMHO.

if thats the case why keep the same races? also some new info is supposed to be released august 19th.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:31:48 PM by Alisha » Logged

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 03:48:23 AM »

The thing is SE doesn't want to move their current customer base in FFXI over to FF14 and leave it at that, that would be professional suicide.

The same races, I'd say is to give incentive for people from FFXI to move, or bring back former players of FFXI,  if they just wanted to move FFXI's player base and leave it at that can you image the board meetings.

Head: OK FF14 is has only got 500k users, thats the same amount as FFXI had which now has next to nothing.  Why?

Producer: I thought was just wanted to move over players from FFXI, not attract newer ones, so it was a success!

Head: we spent millions on this game.

Producer: yep!

Head: To move our already paying customers to another game.

Head: you know they would have paid anyway!

Head: so we spent millions on nothing?

Producer: .....yep.

Head: you're fired.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »

Seamless world, voice acting, etc.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/484-exclusive-interview-with-ffxiv-producer-hiromichi-tanaka/

Also, some screenshots and stuff, including a much more menacing malboro.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/187/187560/
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 09:22:40 AM »

One more... Famitsu article with a video.  You get to see a thunderstorm briefly at the 2:40 mark.  It looks amazing.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226813_1124.html
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: