Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  In-game advertising.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: In-game advertising.  (Read 3586 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2006, 06:48:15 PM »

While I have yet to seriously see it happen beyond sports games and some odd ball titles, it seems people are getting more and more interested in doing it. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. What're your thoughts on all this guys?

Personally, if games were actually substantially cheaper/flat out free, I would be able to tolerate it. But stuff like EA plastering ads all over their games, and still charging $60 for them on the X360 just pisses me off. And naturally it'd be jarring in more fantasy based games, and to a lesser degree sci fi titles. So... Unless I actually get cheap/free games out of this, I'd rather they rapidly back away from this. :P
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:55:46 PM »

Here's my take on it: Blatant advertising like what we see in Swat 4 and Fight Night Round 3 are stupid.  I can't stand that sort of thing.

However, if I were playing Burnout, and my car ran into a McDonald's truck and landed as a flaming wreck in the parking lot of a Best Buy, I would be perfectly fine with that, as it adds an air of realism to the atmosphere of the game.

Perhaps because of where I live (Las Vegas), I've grown a bit immune to advertising, as it's even more prevalent here than anywhere else I've ever been, but that sort of advertising would actually be cool.

By no means do I want to be playing Dreamfall, however, and run into a Burger King and order a hamburger - it doesn't make sense in either of the game's scenarios.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:02:49 PM »

GameSpot had another news story I missed.

Predicting that there'll be few/no games without in-game advertising in 2009? The concept of /that/ pisses me off. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:55:44 PM »

I wouldn't really care a whole lot in games that are set in the modern world where seeing said advertisements on billboards and stuff would actually happen. Like say if I saw a Coke advertisement in GTA then I wouldn't mind really because I see two huge Coke billboards on the freeway every time I drive to school. But if I was playing a game where it was just totally out of context, then no. Like if I was playing Dragon Quest VIII and there was an advertisement for Coke I would be upset.

*Hero finds a bottle of Coke in the treasure chest.*
*Hero drinks the bottle of Coke, its fizzy goodness restores 50 HP.*

No.

Basically the same set of advertising rules they keep to movies. A McDonald's advertisement just wouldn't work in say The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but in a movie that is set in the present day I have no qualms.
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 01:38:19 AM »

I agree that if it's done in a smart manner, it'd be fine. ie: character walks into a room that has a TV on, said tv is playing a commercial.

What I worry about is how long until advertising is literally strangling the game industry like it currently is doing to sports.  You'll lift off in your new airship/spacecraft and on the side will be some cel phone company logo, commercials will play in a box that takes up 1/3 of the screen every time you open a menu screen.  Loading the game will bring on 15 minutes of different ads like when you start a dvd movie.

It'll be fun!  Knowing advertising companies, I bet it's not done in a smart manner. =p   I tell you, I can't wait til I'm knee deep in giant metal robot demons, and raise my warhammer to defend myself, only to have the screen go black and a Kotex commercial begins.

Mega Man will have a Arby's sign welded onto his ass, and Solid Snake will be pushing Gilette razors on the masses.

Sounds funny like it couldn't happen like that. When I look at sports now, as opposed to sports 10+ years ago... it worries me a bit how bad it will get in games.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 02:57:32 AM »

In-game advertising will never result in cheaper games, unless the ads are incredibly intrusive. Perhaps it will gain players in other ways - like giving developers more time (thanks to increased funds) to iron out bugs and other kinks befor releasing the game, but most likely it will just be another cash source for publishers and little more.

Anyway, I don't care about ads as long as they're implemented in a way that makes sense. As many have said, in sports games they work pretty well and can even be required to add that extra layer of realism. Also, in "urban themed" games ads can easily be included in form av commercials on tv sets, billboard ads and radio spots without affecting gameplay at all.

And yeah, when Final Fantasy characters start drinking coke instead of potions to increase health, then we have a problem :P

But I don't think that it'll ever go that far. Unlike, say, tv networks the main source of income for game companies will always be the actual game sale and not advertising.. If they put too many ads in a game they will run the risk of alienating customers, which will lose them a lot more money than opting out of an advertisment deal will. Goodwill is pretty damn important in the games business.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 12:12:49 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"

And yeah, when Final Fantasy characters start drinking coke instead of potions to increase health, then we have a problem :P

I hate to break it to you, but we have a problem.

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=japan112small3dy.jpg

(I took that pic on a trip to Japan last spring break.)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 12:52:34 PM »

I see no pic? O_o

Anyways, I assume you're refering to some ad campaign with Square characters plugging coke? If it's "out of the game", then I have no problem with it. Fuck, Tidus could be spokesperson for Sin-shaped buttplugs for all I care. As long as it's not in-game it's entirely inconsequential.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »

Sorry, fixed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »

Cloud's preferred phone is a Panasonic FOMA P900iV.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 07:10:54 PM »

I don't have a problem with the stuff people mentioned above (banners in sports, racing or other realistic games). Same counts for Square Enix's cooperation with NTT and Matsushita regarding that FOMA 900 series cellphone. I did not feel the product placement was off while watching the movie. As others have said, it depends on how those ads are implemented.

Also keep in mind that Square Enix (or back then still Square) has been doing stuff like that for quite some time. Since Final Fantasy VII and VIII came out, they have been releasing various accessories that were actually worn by in-game characters. Sure, those are in-house products so to say, but still they are comparable to the cellphone.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 04:36:58 AM »

Not to mention the 850 gajillion different figures/statues/busts/etc based off the games.

Have you guys walked into any hole-in-the-wall anime shops lately? There's so many FF-related import merchandise, it's disgusting. Sorry, but three to five different variations of stuffed chocobos, all by different companies, just unnerves me for some reason.

That said, ads in-game come as absolutely no shock whatsoever. Hell, I'm waiting for one of the Final Fantasies to have loading screens with the Coca-Cola logo and a "The End" screen that says "Don't forget to buy the Final Fantasy XIV pocketwatch, decorative (badly-made) swords, necklaces, wristbands, keychains, statues, model kits, action figures, stuffed animals, and CDs! Also stay tuned for Final Fantasy XIV The Movie: Coming after fan fiction ruins the game for you anyway...."

Penance

otakujuggalo777@aol.com otakujuggalo777 penance17420
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"

Yes but square as well as many other companies have been doing that for years. can you honeslty say you wouldn't like to buy a coke and get a free FF or RE figurine? and why cant that cool stuff happen in america? i should also bring up the sega/pepsi character pepsiman, he had his own game, he was an extra in a sega game i forget if it was fighting vipers or virtua fighter game.

but yes when *tidus uses mountin dew and gains the ability suger rush* then we are all doomed doomed doomed dooomed, now go home.

"there is no try, only do, or do not"
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 06:47:54 PM »

Quote from: "Penance"
Quote from: "superflat"

Yes but square as well as many other companies have been doing that for years. can you honeslty say you wouldn't like to buy a coke and get a free FF or RE figurine? and why cant that cool stuff happen in america? i should also bring up the sega/pepsi character pepsiman, he had his own game, he was an extra in a sega game i forget if it was fighting vipers or virtua fighter game.

but yes when *tidus uses mountin dew and gains the ability suger rush* then we are all doomed doomed doomed dooomed, now go home.

Um... I was kind making a joke (probably wasn't as funny as I thought). I don't really mind advertising, and when Cauton said FF characters drinking coke I remembered that picture. As for the second statement, I heartily concur.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
I don't have a problem with the stuff people mentioned above (banners in sports, racing or other realistic games). Same counts for Square Enix's cooperation with NTT and Matsushita regarding that FOMA 900 series cellphone. I did not feel the product placement was off while watching the movie. As others have said, it depends on how those ads are implemented.

Well. I admittedly didn't know about that until just recently in a review, but I think that just barely goes over the edge - fantasy world with technology roughly in our level makes it only a small leap, but all it'd have taken is to make it a more recognizable item, and it'd be jarring as hell.

Also something I just thought of: Parody/comedic fantasy games would also be fine in my book, though it would depend on the humor. It'd be out of place in ToS, but a game with the same style as Slayers could probably do it competently.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: