Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319595 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  We need more women in metal/hard rock
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: We need more women in metal/hard rock  (Read 6077 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

My girlfriend and I were talking last night. Both of us have always been big hard rock fans, and she's really getting into Power and Prog metal (especially loves Iron Maiden), but we're absolutely dumbfounded by the sheer lack of women in the hard rock and metal genre... that is, unless they're some kind of angelic vocalist that is their to create juxtaposition against the rest of the music (sorry Nightwish... you still rock). What I'm talking about is some badass female guitar gods and bass lords, and more (there are a few) really kick ass lead singers that can hold their own against the likes of Bruce Dickenson and Geoff Tate. Women are usually relegated to an exoticism in hard rock and metal, and I'm not quite so sure why. On the flip side, women are all over punk and alt rock, screaming idiotic nonsense just like all the rest of the punks. Sorry, I've always found punk to be brainless and anti-intelligent. Yet, when was the last time you saw a girl in a serious guitar duel?

So why is it that women are okay in totally chaotic aggressive music, but never seen among the elite ranks of high-musicianship?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »

More aggressive female vocals in the hard rock/metal style just don't really work for me. Angela Gossow for example. It just doesn't sound good to these ears. And anything that's female growly is just a big no no.

And sadly, I quite like the more typical 'floaty' style of female metal vocals. Cristina Scabbia is pretty cool, and Anneke van Girersbergweqwsen is bloody amazing. I'm a big Lana Lane fan too.

I'm just waiting for Dezo to get in here and come up with at least three New Jersey bands with amazing female bassists :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

Lots of female vocalists in folk metal. Karen Gilligan of Cruachan, Swawa of Carved In Stone/Taunusheim, the girl from Arkona. I don't care for that Arch Enemy stuff where girls are asked to join bands if they can conjure their inner Glen benton enough. I love Benton's vocals and death metal, but it seems like a gimmick nowadays to have good looking girls that can do that fronting your band.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »

The bit of Lana Lane I've heard is fucking badass. She's on a few Ayreon albums, and she's anything BUT floaty... just fucking powerful.

But I'm actually more interested in hearing women outside the realm of vocals... you never hear of women playing metal guitar or drums, for instance.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:16:32 PM »

Not to sound sexist, but I find it hard to indentify, and therefore take seriously women in metal.

Same thing with women into cars, electronics, etc.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »

Women into cars is hard to get a grasp on, because there is not similar things to compare to. However, women are in all kinds of music from quiet to aggressive, from institutional to folk... with one huge gap: hard rock and metal.

Women in:

Folk - tons
classical - many
rap/hip-hop - yes
pop - without question
punk - probably more than men at this point
folk rock - totally dominating men here
country - ick, but yes, lots
jazz - everywhere now days
techno/industrial - not as many, but definitely quite a few

metal - Absolutely none
hard rock - notta
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:46:12 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:55:48 PM »

The reason you don't see many female vocalists in metal is because the scene is by and large composed of misogynistic assholes.  Take it as the gospel truth from someone who funded their English degree by ruling over a Sabbath/Maiden inspired metal band fronted by a classically trained female vocalist.  We always had that gender hurdle to jump over, no matter where we played.  It might be a little easier in this post-Evanescence/Lacuna Coil world, but I doubt it.

As a result of this, I love metal but I fucking loathe its fans.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 04:22:46 AM »

Ya know, I hear this and that, and I believe it... but when it comes down to it, I've met very few metal fans who actually fit the "misogynistic asshole" stereotype. I know it's probably just me and the circles of people I've hung out with during my lifetime, but pretty much ever metal fan I've met has been of the introspective and intelligent type. Online, in person, doesn't matter, time and time again, I find out someone likes metal, and they usually turn out to be a pretty laid-back kind of guy or girl. Death metal fans especially. But then I go to metal concerts and HOLY SHIT am I completely blown away but all the droves of mindless meatheads.

I just don't get it. Where do these people come from?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:25:23 AM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »

Degs, I'll have to get back to you on that one, heh.

I think one of the slickest bassists out there is funk/R&B bassist Rhonda Smith.  She's beautiful too.  Hey, she toured with Prince (a master of all instruments) and since Prince only recruits musicians he think are better than him on their respective instruments, that says something.  I also think MC Divinity and Me'Shell Ndege-Ocello absolutely slay on bass as well.  But again, they're funk/hip-hop/fusion bassists and not rock bassists. 

I'm sure there are some shred queens in metal beyond the old guard like Lita Ford and Jennifer Batten.  I just need to find them.  Female drummers in rock/metal seem to be the rarest breed, I think. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:02:25 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 01:57:07 AM »

Go listen to some "The Project Hate"

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:26:47 AM »

Re: the misogynistic assholes fanbase thing.  That may be why more women do punk.  That kind of douchebaggery is not tolerated in that scene.  I've been to many punk shows (mostly basement/underground shows) and the ladies are always 100% safe there.  It's rare to see a dude being disrespectful to women like playing grab-ass with everyone, and in the rare occasion that happens, his ass gets thrown out. 

Female bassists in metal probably get the worst rap.  Bass is already considered a token gesture instrument in a lot of metal and thus the woman playing it is perceived as token gesture window dressing.  Really sucks for female bassists like Paz Lenchantin (A Perfect Circle, Zwan) or Melissa Auf der Maur who can play and play well.  Auf der Maur is insanely multitalented in music and photography. 

So I too am interested to hear about some kickass female shredders and pounders. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:13:19 AM »

Well, there's Lori Linstruth. She played lead guitar in the Arjen Lucassen band 'Stream of Passion', and she plays pretty aggressively, with plenty of chunky riffs and soloing. She shagging Arjen now, so she's on his latest project 'Guilt Machine' too.

I had a stupid dream

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

Boris's guitarist and Lori of Acid King come to mind. I recently got an album by a band called Bloody Panda with a Japanese chick as a vocalist... the band's not that great though.

I'd say the amount of women you see in metal bands pretty much makes sense considering that there are probably considerably less women that are into metal than men. And I base that assumption on no data whatsoever.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »

There's a Japanese all-girl black metal band, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

I had a stupid dream

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 08:31:20 PM »

Well, there's Lori Linstruth. She played lead guitar in the Arjen Lucassen band 'Stream of Passion', and she plays pretty aggressively, with plenty of chunky riffs and soloing. She shagging Arjen now, so she's on his latest project 'Guilt Machine' too.

Anyone else get the feeling that Arjen's shagging just about everyone? Female and Male?  I mean, the man is a (self proclaimed) consomate hippy who lives in the woods near amsterdam and likely hotboxes his house 24/7. Probably even that 14 year old he used to hang out with. The man has gotta be one of the nicest people alive, though, to be able to work with that many different musicians, including a few known oddballs (Fish). But I still stick with the idea that he's probably sleeping with more than just a few.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: