Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Aveyond & Ahriman's Prophecy (independently developed RP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Aveyond & Ahriman's Prophecy (independently developed RP  (Read 8597 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »

http://www.amaranthia.com/

I played an hour of the Aveyond demo and thus far, it's a great homebrewed RPG.  I love the graphics and the music is terrific.  The storyline has a cliched setup, but it shows a lot of promise.  The heroine Rhen seems cool.  Granted, given her youth and the way her life has gone she's more or less been resigned to her fate and does the best she can stoically without complaint, but I think she will develop into quite the badassed character.  I see some Alis Landale in Rhen.  One thing I also like is that though the story seems fairly linear, the way you develop your character is up to you and there seem to be a lot of choices you can make throughout.  

The only caveat I have with Aveyond is that there is no way to escape from a battle and even some introductory battles can be difficult with little reward.  The control with my gamepad seems a tad loose, but it's not bad.  I also seem to get lost a lot.  I love exploration, but I just don't know if I'm on the right track to where I'm supposed to be.  

The battle engine is standard turn-based, but I like that.  And encounters aren't random.  You can see your enemies beforehand.  

But all things considered, it's an old-school 16-bit style RPG that has tons of mojo and really brings out the warm fuzzies in me.  It's been a long time since I played a traditional RPG, and Aveyond is a darn good choice.  $18 for a killer quest that lasts well more than the 10 hour demo, which barely scratches the surface?  That's a flat out STEAL for a good RPG!!!!!

Ahriman's Prophecy is the prequel and I downloaded that.  I believe it's a full game.  After seeing the intro to Aveyond, I want to know the backstory that Ahriman's Prophecy offers.  I played some of Ahriman.  It's charming and nice, but the battle system is kinda like the "ramming" in Ys.  I'm not fond of that at all.  I wish that game had a turn-based engine as well.  Still, for a freeware game, this is easily one of the best.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:46:58 PM »

Ahriman's Prophecy is not only the only RPGMaker game I didn't hate, I also rather like it in and of itself.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 09:44:33 PM »

Independent developers like Amaranth are cool.  I mean, the amount of goodies they offer for download on their site for Ahriman and Aveyond are pretty sweet.  

Aveyond is f'n awesome.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 10:46:18 PM »

Downloaded both games, will mess with them later.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »

I recommend downloading some of the goodies (i.e. the ones that start you off at around level 30).  Otherwise, the difficulty can get impatiently brutal even in the early going, requiring you to level grind like a fiend.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:57:14 AM »

Aveyond II was recently released, I'm wondering if RPGfan will offer us a nice review of the game.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »

Egad, you're right.  Aveyond 2 was released 12/6.  I've been concentrating on so much other stuff with real life and RPGfan that I completely missed this one.  That's sad considering how much I loved Aveyond and Ahriman's Prophecy.

EDIT: I'm a couple of hours into Aveyond 2 and it is good.  The visuals are prettier and the music is arguably better (Aveyond 2's battle theme is awesome.)

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 01:18:17 PM »

It looks good but I'm kinda reserved, charging for a game made in RPG maker doesn't feel right....

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »

that was the most massive thread resurrection ever.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 04:33:08 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
It looks good but I'm kinda reserved, charging for a game made in RPG maker doesn't feel right....

Amanda poured money into this project in order to create original materials (I actually worked for Amarant Games and the wage was very generous), so I think it's right for her to charge money in order to make progress with her next games.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 04:56:15 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"

How is that any different from a local band charging for a demo CD they recorded using GarageBand on a MAC or something?  

I support grassroots indie efforts.  Instead of lining the pockets of corporate record labels (e.g.), I feel like I'm giving the money directly to the creators.  

And if not anything else, Aaron Walz and his team deserve my money for sound.  The music in the Aveyond games is awesome.  

And if you want a freebie, Ahriman's Prophecy is a freebie, along with all the downloadable "goodies" for the games.  The Aveyond 1 music pack's awesome.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 09:09:23 PM »

Also let's not forget that big corps like Square-Enix have re-published old best-sellers on handheld systems and even on PSX with generally no extra effort, and the price is generally not so friendly.

I prefer to encourage a RPGmaker project with a fresh and new idea rather to pay again for an old game I've already spent money 10 years ago.

RPGmaker is only a tool, I think it's the creativity behind it that is interesting.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 10:03:21 PM »

Well im gonna check out the demo.  Looks pretty neat, I've always had a fondness for colorful sprite graphics, and I don't disagree in charging for something like this, at least from what im reading.  I'm sure people can make stuff with the program, but it takes a lot of work and talent to make something like this.

And thats a good example blackthirteen.  I payed 20 bucks for FFIV and 30 for FFVI even though they were slightly modified ports (give or take).  At least this is entirely new with stuff they probably could have never done back in those days obviously haha..sorry if im rambling.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

For what it's worth, here's my Aveyond review  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/aveyond/index.html
Since then, Aveyond was upgraded and only Aveyond ver. 2 is available now.  The character portraits are different (more anime styled) and the balance has been improved so there's less need to grind.  And there's still plenty of goodies.

As for Aveyond 2, I'm really enjoying it.  I found Aveyond 1's story and characters more interesting, but 2 is a smoother playing experience.

I still think Rhen > Ean.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 10:34:53 AM »

Keep us informed Dincrest if you ever make a review of Aveyond II.

Side note: we (blossomsoft) are also making a RPGmaker project. The game is called Western Lords and we're going to show stuff really soon. I believe RPGmaker is a great tool and opportunity to make old school jewels, and we're hoping to amass some incomes in order to boost our other main projects 'Sagrada Guardians' and 'Mimic Book'.

With WL we're also trying to offer a different kind of RPG experience, and prove it's still possible to create new classics with very low funds.

if I picked your curiousity, you can start your journey at www.blossomsoft.com/  :D I hope you'll find good information.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: