Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331882 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I made a game: Rescue at Grisly Gulch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I made a game: Rescue at Grisly Gulch  (Read 4815 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:14 PM »

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum section, or whether this should go in off-topic.

I wrote this RPG in Qbasic over the past couple of months. I'm a hobbyist programmer so it's relatively simple game. It's entirely text-based and you play a Wild West sheriff sent into a haunted valley populated with demonic creatures to rescue the mayor's daughter. You can download it here: www.spacebabes.org/gulch.exe

You must have DOS or a DOS emulator (i.e. DosBox) to play. Any comments, especially noting bugs or typos would be great. If anyone is curious, I'll be happy to provide the source code as well.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:45 AM »

"It is tough opponent" should say "It is a tough opponent".

I like this though.  I've never looked at Qbasic before, otherwise I'd be interested in the source code.  I made a text game similar to this (much less involved, admittedly) for my girlfriend on my day off, chronicling my activities during the day.  This is solid though... the colors help with understanding the game mechanics.

I'm not very far yet, but yeah.  Good job. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:32:16 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »

I wish I knew how to program :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »

"It is tough opponent" should say "It is a tough opponent".

I like this though.  I've never looked at Qbasic before, otherwise I'd be interested in the source code.  I made a text game similar to this (much less involved, admittedly) for my girlfriend on my day off, chronicling my activities during the day.  This is solid though... the colors help with understanding the game mechanics.

Thanks for finding the typo. It's always the most obvious ones that I miss. What language did you write your game in? Do you have a compiled version of it around anymore?

I wish I knew how to program :(

If you're serious, I could dig up a few good Qbasic tutorials for you. Basically, the only people still using Qbasic are people writing games, so a lot of the tutorials are written with game making in mind.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »

I wrote it in C++ as a console application.  It was little more than a 3 minute long "choose your own adventure" with inside jokes and vulgar language.  It is nothing compared to Grisly Gulch...

I do a little better with Direct X as I've made tetris and zelda clones (the latter has 30k views at planet source code and won the coding contest that month), but I consider myself a rough coder. 

Is English your first language?  "It is tough opponent" isn't the only time in your game that that same grammatical error occured... it might just be the fact that it's a text game, but I am a stickler when it comes to typos.  I almost feel bad by asking that question because the incidents are so isolated... but it would be better to know if I am dealing with typos or overarching grammatical errors, if that makes sense. 

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:56:13 PM »

If you're serious, I could dig up a few good Qbasic tutorials for you. Basically, the only people still using Qbasic are people writing games, so a lot of the tutorials are written with game making in mind.

Since I have no idea if I can get into a Masters program that has nothing to do with my current degree program (Comp Sci and russian) for the love of god please do :x

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

I wrote it in C++ as a console application.  It was little more than a 3 minute long "choose your own adventure" with inside jokes and vulgar language.  It is nothing compared to Grisly Gulch...

I do a little better with Direct X as I've made tetris and zelda clones (the latter has 30k views at planet source code and won the coding contest that month), but I consider myself a rough coder. 

Is English your first language?  "It is tough opponent" isn't the only time in your game that that same grammatical error occured... it might just be the fact that it's a text game, but I am a stickler when it comes to typos.  I almost feel bad by asking that question because the incidents are so isolated... but it would be better to know if I am dealing with typos or overarching grammatical errors, if that makes sense.

My C experience is really limited and I don't know a thing about Direct X. Actually, I don't know anything about working graphics at all. What's the name of your Zelda clone?

English is my first language. I'm just sloppy, I suppose. If you can be bothered to write down whatever errors you find, I'll put your name in the "special thanks" screen of the game - and what better reward is there. :/

Since I have no idea if I can get into a Masters program that has nothing to do with my current degree program (Comp Sci and russian) for the love of god please do :x

Start here to get some simple essential commands down. This one is pretty boring.

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/zines/qbcm/13-verybasics.html

Then dig into this next one. Some of it will be review from the previous tutorial, but both compliment each other somewhat. This tutorial is a lot more fun. Grisly Gulch is actually a highly modified version of one of the example games.

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tutorials/basicgd.htm

After those two, you should have enough of a start to begin making rudimentary text games, but still it's a lot of fun.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=2802&lngWId=3 If you want to play it, just drag the "Neo Hardcore Warrior" .exe file out of the 'Debug' folder and place it into the main folder with all the pictures.  It is almost 9 years old.  The tech I used was probably 9 years old back then, but at least I didn't use RPGMaker!  Ha!

I expected to play Grisly Gulch again to find errors, however, it turns out that the enemies and things are randomized too much for my convenience.  PM me a link to the code, or a request for my email address; it'll be easier that way.  The game itself is marvelous.  Undead ticks FTW.

edit:  I noticed something... your health at the top of the screen isn't updated after each round of battle.  There was an enemy that killed me out of nowhere... except it wasn't out of nowhere.  I didn't know that the text at the bottom has live data... meanwhile I'm pounding the C button and staring at the top, which always displays your HP as it were before you started battle.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:53:33 PM by Fei » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 03:01:35 AM »

Okay, so inspired by Wily, I decided to learn QBasic, and then promptly discovered FreeBASIC was probably more to my needs. Whatever.

Current goal? Inspired by my reason Quake Live <3ness, I'm making a little top-down, turn-based deathmatch thingy. What does it do so far? Reads in a map file (A text file, actually), which consists of a detail layer, color layer, collision layer, and actor coordinates. It then prints them map in color based on the color layer, and then prints the 'actors' on top of it. The player can then move their guy (represented by an @) around. There's working collision detection with walls.

Still needs done:

Shooting, drawing, and moving projectiles (probably the hardest part)
Simple bot AI.
Collision between the bot/player and eachother or projectiles.
Score-related stuff.
Respawning charactesr after death.
A weapon pickup system.
Jumppads.

(Also clean up the player movement code. That functoin's a mess).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »

That definitely sounds interesting, MGF.  Let us know when it's done, because I think I'd want to try that out.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »

God damn this sounds cool. If you get hung up on any coding I *might* be able to help if you shoot me a PM. Admittedly, my skills are weak.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »

Dang, Mesh, haven't you ever heard of "Hello World!?"  Sounds like you're doing extremely well.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:34 PM »

Actually I was having programming problems but then I found out that I could embed pointers to functions in a user defined type, so that simplifies the hell out of collision detection.

I am, actually, a point where polymorphism would be useful. AH WELLZ.

---edit---

http://www.mediafire.com/?ezj2j0nzymo

Okay this is my thing so far (unless I linked to the wrong file). You'll need FBIDE 0.4.7 to open the project file. It's not really NECESSARY though.

Also some of the code's still a major mess, but it's working and I sort of have pickups functional in a sense.

I need to add proper spawn points, weapon respawns, support for things that aren't shotguns... stuff. Lots of things. But it's coming along~~~
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:55:39 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »

Nice, that looks like progress.  I take it there is no shooting and no option to quit yet?

This reminds me of my final project for my ASM class... I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

So you're writing it in Freebasic then? Other than not having the memory limitation of Qbasic, what else does Freebasic do differently (other than have different syntax)?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: