Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334760 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "The New Age of Games That Got Away" - Jeremy Parish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "The New Age of Games That Got Away" - Jeremy Parish  (Read 1965 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »

1up blog link here.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »

We need an official Policenauts release.

The mention that 7th Dragon won't come to the US is a sharp stab of Owww. Are we sure that Atlus USA won't pick that one up as well? They've released other Sega-developed games before (Shining Force GBA, and ... see below).

I'm also confused as hell over the numbering of the Shiren series. The article failed to mention that Shiren 3 (the Wii title) IS coming via Atlus USA, so that's a win.

This was a great blog post. Thanks for the link. I also like "Blood of Bahamut is the new equivalent to Bahamut Lagoon." Though I worry that Bahamut Lagoon will remain the better game.

Where is the equivalent to LiveALive? Oh, there is none. They just need to release that f*cker on VC.

RANT TIME!

Square Enix (and other RPG devs from yester-decade) should just PAY nominal fees to the dudes who did fan translations and make them legitimate, then release the games on VC, tack on an additional $1 charge for the translation (to help recover costs), and spread the love. And then MARKET THE SHIT OUT OF IT.

LiveALive is awesome. Among all SNES games (RPG or not), it's in my top ten. It's like ... Zelda, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, LIVEAMUTHAFUCKINLIVE.

yes.

Ramza

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:19:53 PM »

What's 7th Dragon even supposed to play like? It looks rizzle generizazzle albeit pretty.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:58 AM »

What's 7th Dragon even supposed to play like? It looks rizzle generizazzle albeit pretty.

It's supposed to be to Dragon Quest what Etrian Odyssey is to Wizardy which makes this all the more depressing.

Square Enix (and other RPG devs from yester-decade) should just PAY nominal fees to the dudes who did fan translations and make them legitimate, then release the games on VC, tack on an additional $1 charge for the translation (to help recover costs), and spread the love. And then MARKET THE SHIT OUT OF IT.

Ramza

They're sorta doing that for games like Cave Story and La-Mulana (though I don't know if there's any compensation going around for the translations, especially since they received fan-translations years ago). Also they're getting buffed up for release on WiiWare rather than just getting a straight port.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:46:39 PM »

Pooe Seiken Densetsu 3. Wanted so bad, and goes unported for 3 gens...
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »

wow no mention of Fatal Frame 4 :(

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »

wow no mention of Fatal Frame 4 :(

Actually, we're probably not missing much. Idiotic controls (they ignored the IR sensor and instead used tilting up and down and turning the flashlight and your camera), game breaking bugs, and terrible hit detection. I forget whether this is speculation or not, but I've heard Nintendo wanted Tecmo to clean up the problems (and implant IR control I think), but they didn't care to have the effort done so the game won't be published.

However, I doubt as good of an excuse will apply to most of these other games, but it IS good to keep in mind how much of it may not have been all that great afterall.

They're sorta doing that for games like Cave Story and La-Mulana (though I don't know if there's any compensation going around for the translations, especially since they received fan-translations years ago). Also they're getting buffed up for release on WiiWare rather than just getting a straight port.

Actually... that also doubles as why they aren't simply doing this for the fan translated game, it's still an amateur effort. Failing all else there would be the lack of creator input pointing out what was done right/wrong, note how games like Final Fantasy V received a much better localization (for its second release anyway) than the fan effort. SE may prefer skipping on a VC release in favor of a proper re-release with a quality translation.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:55:12 PM by Eusis » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:45:44 AM »

Actually... that also doubles as why they aren't simply doing this for the fan translated game, it's still an amateur effort. Failing all else there would be the lack of creator input pointing out what was done right/wrong, note how games like Final Fantasy V received a much better localization (for its second release anyway) than the fan effort. SE may prefer skipping on a VC release in favor of a proper re-release with a quality translation.

I did not know that they were retranslating it. It sorta disappoints me since I was hopping that by getting the WiiWare version I would be supporting both the creator of the game and the translators + programmer who provided the fan translation. Instead it will just be the creator plus these guys who I'm sure are doing a fine job, but don't provide translations for games that missed their sell by date.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: