Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Laughing Scene from FFX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Laughing Scene from FFX  (Read 18729 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »

I mentioned it briefly in my previous post, but I'd like to emphasize it a bit further.  Does anyone think the laughing scene provides any real value to the game's presentation?  I'm seriously of the opinion that the game would have been better off and would have lost nothing beyond the scene itself, had it been cut out since it only serves to further propagate the forced Yuna-Tidus relationship, and nothing more.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »

I mentioned it briefly in my previous post, but I'd like to emphasize it a bit further.  Does anyone think the laughing scene provides any real value to the game's presentation?  I'm seriously of the opinion that the game would have been better off and would have lost nothing beyond the scene itself, had it been cut out since it only serves to further propagate the forced Yuna-Tidus relationship, and nothing more.

That's the point of the scene. They get closer in that scene. That's one of the reasons I don't agree with Prime when he says the kiss comes out of nowhere. It's just one of those times where people act like idiots because they are falling in love.
I could have lived without it though.

I think it's a great story though.

Code:
The whole "lets guide her to her death so we can save our own asses" thing is very heavy shit, specially because the main character doesn't even realize what he's doing untill after he falls for her. His motivation to fight is keeping her safe untill she finishes her pilgrimage, little does he know that he is helping her to commit suicide. You really feel like a fool when you're the only one in a group who is oblivious to something, put yourself in his shoes when he finds out. Every single person in the world knew what their objective was right from the start except him.

You know what? In retrospective that makes the laughing scene a lot more powerful because he was so clueless at the time. He didn't know why she was so sad. It was such an innocent way to sheer her up, it was casual, none of the others would have been able to do that because they knew, it would have felt forced. But Yuna knew that he wasn't doing it out of pitty because he was oblivious to all of it. That's what really made her happy.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »

I played through that scene at Mike's house - I still remember him exiting and staying out of the room minutes before it happened. He knew it was coming. :P

It was really horrible to watch, yes, but I thought the characters (okay writers) had the right idea. Hell, at least faking a smile has GOT to be better than brooding/moping nonstop. It even makes you feel better if only a little bit.

I didn't think the thing between Tidus and Yuna was tacked on. It was nice to see them actually have a relationship, rather than it being alluded to and/or hinted at, and then for the characters to only get together in Godawful crap on fanfiction.net . I also disagree with the kiss being out of nowhere, it was a 'finally', really.

I wasn't fond of Yuna's voice actor in the very beginning of the game, but she improved as the game progressed.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »

I've always known it was intentional. That doesn't stop that scene from being awful, if anything that makes it a little worse.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »

That's the point of the scene. They get closer in that scene. That's one of the reasons I don't agree with Prime when he says the kiss comes out of nowhere. It's just one of those times where people act like idiots because they are falling in love.

Not only that, given the responsibility Yuna was born with and had to bear her whole life, plus all her guardians being adults up to that point, she never really had a chance to just be a goofy teenage girl.  Just be a kid.  When Tidus came along, he was the first major person in her life she could just be a kid around.  And I think the laughing scene shows that.  And even when Auron, Wakka, and all are looking on, they seem happy to see Yuna being able to take a brief moment and just be a girl.  Not this great hope savior figure, but a girl being playful and perhaps a little flirty with a boy. 

I think the kiss scene's sentiment was decently played too insofar as a JRPG would play such a scene.  When your life's flashing before your eyes you reflect back on it, and in her short life, Yuna not only embarked on a grand adventure with purpose (and everyone's looking for their purpose in life) and made lots of great friends, but fell in love with a boy as well and was able to express it to him with that kiss.  So if she were to sacrifice herself in the name of God, she'd have no regrets.  I think any human would feel pretty empty if they were to die without ever having fallen in love. 

I think the issue is not so much with the sentiments of the scenes, because the sentiments behind them are great.  The issue might be more in the execution of them.  The execution of them seems awkward and not very smooth.  Had the scenes been written or scripted better, maybe people would complain less. This factors into my overall opinion of FFX.  The storyline and the themes have a lot going for them, but the overall game progression was insanely repetitive.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:44:04 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »

It made me feel awkward.

Sometime life makes you feel awkward.

Girls throw you a missionary to bypass said awkwardness.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »

You guys are missing the real problem with the laughing scene.

That being, Khimari trying to smile.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »

(this was more to add to Fei's post; but my prior post ties into Meshie's point.  The laughing scene was really the first time Auron, Wakka, Lulu, and Khimari really got to see a brief moment of Yuna being a teenage girl- nothing more, nothing less.  Hence some of the happy, but huh? expressions.)

The simple act of hanging out with a girl, especially as a teen, is awkward.  Sure you act all big with your friends that you'll say and do all these things with her, but once you actually approach the girl, that bravado goes out the window.  I think it's the same for the ladies as well; more bravado with the girl-friends than with the guy.  I think a lot of adults kid themselves this way too.  

And you just never know who or what types of people you'll feel awkward around.  Every once in a while, I meet a nice-looking girl who's awkward around me (or at least more awkward around me than I am around her.)  That always throws me for a loop since I'm more of the goofy boy-next-door kinda guy that girls usually feel relaxed around and not the smoldering model-type hottie that girls usually feel awkward around.  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:05:57 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »

It's not a localization problem, the Japanese version sounds exactly the same.

And I still think it's awful.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:05 PM »

and not the smoldering model-type hottie that girls usually feel awkward around.

Yeah your pic in that thread over on General says otherwise >:|

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »

The scene was brilliant because it set the stage for me hating 99% of the game.  In fact, the timing's great because it's the moment that made me ask, "Why am I playing this?"

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 09:13:37 PM »

Damn, and I'm the nerdy type girls usually say ewww around. I feel depressed now. :P
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »

I know it's awkward to look at but at the same time, it's intentional to since it's part of their story.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 09:37:50 PM »

Granted, its got its point.... but.

Goddamn nothing is more embarassing to watch even despite the rational.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 09:39:26 PM »

I think it would be a much poorer game for not having it. It discusses the Yuna-Tidus relationship in a way that most other games don't for their own pairings. It's that awkward moment in a TV show or a book, one you really just wanna walk out of the room for, but it's still integral to the whole chemistry of the characters.

I used to have it where I couldn't stand embarrassing moments in a show. Big sappy things, or where the characters acted dumb beyond belief. Looking back on it, I can't even explain why. Perhaps it has something to do with my own dislike for being or looking foolish. It's a "bare" moment, and it's difficult to deal with, but everyone needs it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: