Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 01:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341232 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Laughing Scene from FFX
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Laughing Scene from FFX  (Read 19821 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »

I was playing FFX with my girlfriend last night, and we got to the infamous laughing scene. As usually, I braced myself against the awkwardness that is that scene, but then I got to thinking. I've usually heard this scene past off as a result of bad localization, bad acting, or simply bad conceptualization. Then I realized, the scene plays out exactly the way the creators intended, and it works. It's supposed to feel extremely awkward, that's sort of the point of the scene. The characters are forcing themselves to laugh when they're really not very happy. That's not going to feel very natural. It's so absurred, in fact, that they finally break down and start laughing just because it sounds so weird.

The reason I bring this up is that I've seen this scene used an example of bad localization or forced acting in RPGs. But I think it's a terrible example, because it's supposed to be awkward, and it does exactly what the writer's set out do accomplish.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »

I thought the scene was great, it was very reminiscent of a teen movie from the 80's to me, don't know what all the bitching is about.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »

I don't have much of a memory. A year or so after I beat a game I forget most of what happened... but I still remember how retarded I thought this scene was.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »

Exactly, its called awkward sexual tension. You just knew they had a thing for each other right from the start. And the other characters were looking at them like they were idots.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:28:03 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »

Thank you for posting this. I've had this very same thought on my brain for a couple of years now after a replay. It does feel awkward the first time you play through, but the fact is that the effect is not only intentional, but serves the story well. :)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »

Thank you for posting this. I've had this very same thought on my brain for a couple of years now after a replay. It does feel awkward the first time you play through, but the fact is that the effect is not only intentional, but serves the story well. :)

Exactly. I actually felt like this the first time I played the game. It never felt awkward to me.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »

Exactly, its called awkward sexually tension. You just knew they had a thing for each other right from the start. And the other characters were looking at them like they were idots.

*spoilers*

Honestly, I really don't know what you're talking about. Yes, there is sexual tension between those two, but that particular scene is anything but. Tidus isn't thinking anything else at that point besides: "I just found out my father is a city destroying monster", and "I'm stuck in this world, and I probably won't get back". He bearily notices Yuna when he enters that scene, she just comes over to cheer him up. I think, "Yuna's hot", is probably WAY down on his list of thoughts at this point. The scene probably would have played out about the same had it been Wakka who had come to cheer him up.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

I was playing FFX with my girlfriend last night,

Liar!

Anyway, I agree completely, although I still question how well they actually pulled off akward and... awkward... how the hell do you spell that? whatever. And whether it was appropriate to have the scene there anyway.

It was sort of forced awkwardness, I guess. Like LOOK AWKWARD BUDDING ROMANCE LOOK LOOK LOOK HEY. It wasn't a smooth, gradual sort of thing. It didn't quite feel NATURAL to me.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »

Exactly, its called awkward sexually tension. You just knew they had a thing for each other right from the start. And the other characters were looking at them like they were idots.

*spoilers*

Honestly, I really don't know what you're talking about. Yes, there is sexual tension between those two, but that particular scene is anything but. Tidus isn't thinking anything else at that point besides: "I just found out my father is a city destroying monster", and "I'm stuck in this world, and I probably won't get back". He bearily notices Yuna when he enters that scene, she just comes over to cheer him up. I think, "Yuna's hot", is probably WAY down on his list of thoughts at this point. The scene probably would have played out about the same had it been Wakka who had come to cheer him up.

Bullshit. Those two were turned on by each other the moment they met and everyone in the group could see it as clear as day. It was a classic awkward teen love pep talk scene.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:38:00 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »

To me, Tidus laughing awkwardly was the old saying "fake it till you make it" in play. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »

You've got bigger issues if you have to "practice" smiling when you're sad.  I'm just trying to picture a youthful Yuna as a troubled teen:

Yuna: I AM CURRENTLY UNHAPPY.  SELF, HOW CAN I REMEDY THIS PROBLEM.

*Yuna ponders her predicament for a few moments.*

Yuna: OH OF COURSE.  I KNOW.  I'LL SIT HERE IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR AND PRACTICE SMILING.  SMILING IS A DIFFICULT TASK, SO I BETTER MASTER IT.  PERHAPS I WILL LOL A FEW TIMES WHILE I AM AT IT, TO PREPARE FOR FUTURE POSSIBILITIES WITH MALE LOVE INTERESTS.

*Yuna makes an attempt to smile, and fails.*

Yuna: DARN IT, I WILL NEVER GET THIS RIGHT.  ARGH I HATE MY LIFE IT IS SO FULL OF SADNESS

The scene wasn't bad just from the awkward laughing.  It was horribly written and completely unbelievable.  Lousy, unbelievable dialogue leads to awkwardness.  Mighty Morphin Power Rangers type awkward.  I'm all for character development, but the scene did nothing for me other than make me cringe.  It added no additional information about the characters other than the fact that Yuna practices smiling in her off-time.  The scene could have been removed entirely, and it would have had a positive impact to the game in my view.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »

I disagree. Dincrest is right on the money when he mentioned the old acting proverb of "Fake it 'til you make it". It works. If anything else, it relieves stress. Yes, it's very hard to watch because the characters are doing such a bad job of faking it, but then, wouldn't that be how it really works? And it's entirely believable to think that a few teens would do that. Teens try various things to cheer themselves up all the time, some of them very painful to watch. I can totally see two people doing the same thing, and it would be about as akward.

That said, the whole romance between Tidus and Yuna *IS* very badly done. It felt incredibly tacked on. When the kissing scene happens it really feels like, "where the fuck did that come from?" I mean, the game is dealing with some really heavy shit, it really doesn't need any more dramaticism to work... and then they just threw that in there.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:29:21 PM »

That said, the whole romance between Tidus and Yuna *IS* very badly done. It felt incredibly tacked on. When the kissing scene happens it really feels like, "where the fuck did that come from?" I mean, the game is dealing with some really heavy shit, it really doesn't need any more dramaticism to work... and then they just threw that in there.

But they didn't just throw that in there, they been hinting at the romance since the start, including the laughing scene. It more like the kiss scene was an "its about damn time" scene.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »

I interpreted that scene the same way you did back then (never replayed it) and never jumped on that bandwagon. The problem is that it is taken out of context. People post that part on youtube and anyone who watches it is like "wow, the VA sucks" when they don't realize it's intentional. I think that particular scene is kinda lame but it has nothing to do with bad acting, the acting on that game is very good.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers type awkward.

My favorite awkward moment in an MMPR series was in SPD when the bad guys had that doughy-but-cute android girl hooked into some weird machine and they were using it to summon a bladed hellbeast from beneath the city.

Anyway I think FFX should've handled romance and sexuality like Blue Gender -- something totally mechanical that exists only as a brief respite from the hell surrounding everything.

Also Japan has some social stigma against smiling in public, apparently, so maybe this is just a cultural thing.

Also some random shit from gamefaqs.

FF7 = Revenge and destroying the past.
FF8 = Love and friendship.
FF9 = Destiny and two people from different worlds unites.
FF10 = Time and space doesn't matter in love, finding purpose and sacrifice.
FF12 = War and ordinary kid of street to becomes the hero.

Way to get the main themes of everything wrong except FF8, MR. KLOTZ. !!

Also, I think the main issue with FFX's story is an over-reliance on symbols. I don't mean symbolism. I mean like, if you start drawing and you draw something that REPRESENTS an arm and sort of LOOKS like an arm and you can tell what's going on, but it's really clearly that you didn't actually draw an arm, FFX did that. With the story.

I mean like, there's no subtlety. The Al-Bhed are creepy, machine-using heathens. The Ronso are trying to sell me shitty knives. The... island... folk... are religious and scared of machines. The Guado... had some sort of plot relevance I forgot. Everyone's the same based on their particular culture, and you can tell what someone's culture is by how they look, so you can SEE how people are going to act, visually, basically.

It's like it creates its own cliches and can't get away from them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:50:07 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: