Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2016, 07:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237055 Posts in 7070 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Best and the Worst endings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The Best and the Worst endings  (Read 422 times)
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Today at 03:37:07 PM »

FF7 Crisis Core gets special recognition even though I am not a huge FF7 fan. Why? Well when you play a whole game knowing damn well how its gonna end and they still manage to make it as emotionally wrenching as they did to witness with crisis core, I am impressed.

So dang true.  I was a weeping mess.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Today at 05:37:55 PM »

It's interesting how so many fantastic authors fall flat when it comes to endings.  Like in my experience with Neal Stephenson's books (I've read Snow Crash and Diamond Age), the beginnings and middles are great, but the guy couldn't write good endings.

Huge Neal Stephenson fan here, but I agree... he positively doesn't give a shit about his endings. Everything wraps up in half a page and it's like "NEXT BOOK!" Snow Crash, Zodiac, and Criptonomicon (favorite) all have positively worthless endings. Snow Crash is probably the shortest and worst, though. That said, none of them are BAD per-say, but they're abrupt and obvious. There as-if he's saying, "yeah yeah, you know what's going to happen, so I won't bore you with the details: bad guy dies, THE END". I need to read Diamond Age.

THE GOOD:

FF8, 9, and 10 all have some of the finest endings in video game history, but all for radically different reasons. 8's FINAL FANAL ending is just dramatic and poignant (not talking bout the weird shit leading up to the ending). I love how it shows the kids being kids in their natural environment, goofing around and celebrating with a camcorder, you don't usually get to see that hardly at all. FF9 is just heart wrenching and beautiful. I'm not crazy about Necron, though, and felt like it undermined Kuja as the ultimate villain (and my favorite in the series), but aside from that it's absolutely flawless. FF10 is just... gut wrenching. Jesus.

THE BAD:

Grandia 2 had the worst ending ever (surprised to see this on someones good list). Totally side-steps the major relationship conflict throughout the game in order to not take sides, and turns each character into a milquetoast version of their prior personality. I wanted to scream at the TV. I give this the "Afraid to hurt anyone's feelings" award of the century.

THE UNFORTUNATE:

Suikoden V just made me scream. Unless you get all 108 stars (which is almost impossible due to some weird glitches and unexpected permadeaths), he games pulls a BAD ending out of nowhere. Overall, fairly light/medium hearted game that ends with an unnecessary emotional gut punch unless you're ridiculously careful. I even had a guide but still lost 3 stars due to a glitch and a permadeath during one of the under-explained tactical sequences (nothing in the series suggests there will be permadeaths and they are completely random). I ended the game feeling so let down, I had to go online and watch the good ending, and pretend I got that instead, or I couldn't fall asleep that night. Great game, terrible design decision for the ending.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Klyde Chroma
LVL. 44 Scratch ticket Ninja

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:52:54 PM »

FF7 Crisis Core gets special recognition even though I am not a huge FF7 fan. Why? Well when you play a whole game knowing damn well how its gonna end and they still manage to make it as emotionally wrenching as they did to witness with crisis core, I am impressed.

So dang true.  I was a weeping mess.

The other interesting thing about the impact Crisis Core's entire narrative and ending sequence had on me was changing my perspective and feelings toward 7 as a whole. As time went on and it all sank in thereafter, I think back on it and can't really stand Cloud, love Zak and Sephiroth and actually developed some love for the whole enchilada.

Before that I had a drastically different, far less emotional, attachment to 7 based on my time with the original main installment.

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Today at 06:33:45 PM »

THE BAD:

Grandia 2 had the worst ending ever (surprised to see this on someones good list). Totally side-steps the major relationship conflict throughout the game in order to not take sides, and turns each character into a milquetoast version of their prior personality. I wanted to scream at the TV. I give this the "Afraid to hurt anyone's feelings" award of the century.

Content-wise, I wasn't a big fan of the end
Code:
Ryudo about-faces into a bleeding heart, Millennia comes back from the dead
, but the way the ending was presented was really good.  And that final boss music was amazing. 

I still posit that Legend of Dragoon did that style of ending much better. 

I need to mention Chrono Cross too.  I've only beaten the game once and I liked the ending I got, but my favorite part was the song "Radical Dreamers" that plays during the end credits.  It was incredibly gorgeous.  I also loved the CG sequences, particularly the "real life" ones interspersed with the game CGs.  That was a really nice touch. 

Years ago, I played this VN called Yo-Jin-Bo and eventually got all the endings.  Each character has a good and bad ending.  My favorite ending out of all of them was Monzan's bad ending.  Go figure, I liked a bad ending better than the good ones. 

Memories Off is worth getting a Game Over in because that "bad ending" is really sad. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: