Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 01:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338163 Posts in 13844 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Any cool, local events?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Any cool, local events?  (Read 3919 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »

I live in an extremely populated city in the valley called Santa Clarita, California. We've got a mall, an amusement park, and a shit-ton of fast food joints, and after living here for twenty years, I can safely say that that's pretty much all we've got to offer. Town-life basically sucks and there's never much to do. But rarely, we'll have some really awesome stuff happen.

A few days ago, a youth-run Facebook event known as SCV Zombie Invasion (aka, Z-Day) took place. The idea behind the event was basically to get a ton of people to dress up and act like zombies (face paint, blood, tattered clothes, everything). About 200 people showed up to the meeting place, and we proceeded to sulk around as an enormous group, limping and groaning and terrorizing store fronts and pedestrians as we passed by. We stormed though our mall's food court and paraded through Target. There were even people who dressed up as humans which fought against the zombie outbreak. It was a completely non-violent, wholesome affair, and everyone (unassuming civilians included) had an great time. It was definitely a memorable experience.

A few random pics. Last one is with me (left) and my cousin:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anyway, this got me curious about all of your towns. Anything interesting, nonsensical or unique ever happen out where you live? You can talk about that, or just comment about how freaking awesome Z-Day is.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:36:40 PM by Sketch » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »

Canada Day.
Coolest event on planet.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »

Nothing interesting ever happens in Northern Virginia.  All we have is hourly firetruck/police/ambulance emergencies.  Seriously, you can set your watch by the sirens.  We also have the prettiest highway medians in the world, because all the spanish families put flowers out at the accident sites every weekend.  FIELDS OF FLOWERS EVERYWHERE.  Of course, that stopped when they all fled because the they thought the police were going to start HUNTING THEM FOR SPORT(When in fact they were trying to protect those same people from their hillbilly neighbors who WERE ready to hunt them for sport because apparently every single person of Spanish descent is an illegal Mexican immigrant.  People around here don't read because reading is for faggots, apparently).  So now we just have people in suits whose idea of a fun event is fucking polo and rednecks who sit around drinking and smoking at Shoney's and then attempting to drive in traffic.

I swear to god, NoVa has the worst drivers on the planet.  HOLY FUCK A SNOWFLAKE SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT *crash*

But yeah, in summary, nothing happens here ever unless you count store closings.

Your cousin is surprisingly clean for a zombie.  Shouldn't there be blood all over him, and not just on his face?  Also: That is an awesome event.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:22 AM »

Not much. Our small town is typically described as "a hole in the ground filled with farmers" and because there is larger city with the same name, most people assume all news from our town is about the other Hengelo. Our town is older by the way, stupid city Hengelo stole our name and now we're known as "the other Hengelo" :(  

Hengelo is known for events related to horses and motorbikes. Two out of three statues in the town centre are related to these types of events. I guess we just like fast thing you can ride on? There is the Varsselring motorrace in June, which goes right through town. The one with the oldtimers attracts a lot of people as well. Other than that there is the now yearly re-enactment of The Battle of Achterhoek (good luck pronouning it if you don't speak Dutch :P ).

We have one museum filled with things from WWII. It's actually my former neighbour's collection. There used to be parts of a submarine in his front yard. Some people thought it was modern art.

Other things Hengelo is known for:
-Quick sportshoes. It was one of the big brands in the first half of the 20th century. The original company is gone, but the started it up again someplace else.
-Rockband "Normaal" sings about Hengelo in several songs of which "Oerend Hard" is the most famous.
-There is a small forest nearby, but for some reason it's called "'t Zand" (The Sand)

We're part of Bronkhorst, which is the smallest place city in the Netherlands. It's like a cute little RPG town and only 150 people live there, while Hengelo currently has 3500 citizens.

Now, if you want a really big event, one of the biggest events in the Netherlands, a 30-minute drive is enough to get there from Hengelo. De Zwarte Cross. It's started out as a small illegal motorrace, but now it's a huge event attracting over 100.000 visitors each year. It's all about races (often on very silly vehicles), beer and (hard)rock.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:49:12 AM by Tomara » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »

Somebody snuck a world class zoo into town when I wasn't looking. >.>;;

That and I think there's some kind of swing dancing movement around here too.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 05:26:17 AM »

I live in Toronto's next door neighbour, Mississauga. There's any number of events happening. Carassauga and Caravan are the annual cultural festivals, with a huge number of pavilions available to visit throughout the cities. We have more geeky events like the gaming tournaments A&C Games holds every few months at UofT, enormous conventions like Anime North and FanExpo in May and August, respectively, and then the smaller cons as well. I'm actually in charge of a new one coming next July called ConBravo! (http://www.conbravo.com), and we're partnering with a younger convention called Con-G out in Guelph.

Lots of stuff goes on, basically. ^^;
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »

Bowling Green:

On campus, there's a yearly game of Zombies Vs. Humans. In the september, there's the Black Arts Swamp Fes... Er... Black Swamp Arts Festival. In August there's a tractor pull. And The Wood County fair which is probably shit. IDK I never go there. Sometimes there are musical events on campus and they always suck.  Other than that absolutely fucking nothing.

Lima:

August: Square Fair, which except for this year has been absolutely crap lately partly from a lack of interest and partly from a fear of race riots. Allen County Fair, which is probably the second best fair in the state after the State Fair, which is the best fair in the country probably.

Rest of the Year: Various other craft shows and home shows. Sometimes the civic center puts on classical music performances.

Otherwise absolutely fucking nothing.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:39:09 PM »

Winnipeg, Manitoba sucks. The only events that goes on here are random natives stabbing random people, or random natives getting drunk from drinking too much mouthwash in bus shacks. :P

Well, we also got Folklorama every August for two weeks, which is actually pretty awesome. It's supposedly the largest, and longest-running multi-cutural festival in Canada (or even North America in general. I forget).

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »

It seems bicycle races are becoming more popular down here in South Jersey.  Like the "Tour de Shore" which is a bike race that goes from Philly to Atlantic City.  And run-ride-walks near the shore too.  My home town is pretty uneventful, so anything cool that happens is usually regional.

When I was at Rutgers, I was a big part of the "underground railroad" music scene in New Brunswick.  Coolest and one of the more diverse music scenes I've been a part of, and still a well-kept secret.  

I tend to think the most interesting big-town events happen in and around college towns, even though college towns can be dead zones in the summer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my town.  I live in southern New Jersey about 30 minutes east of Philly and 40 minutes west of Atlantic City.  The town I grew up in was in northern New Jersey about an hour from New York City.  Every fall that town had a "Ramsey Day" which was alright when I was a kid, but became lame during my tween/teen years. 

I don't think I've ever lived more than 1 hour from a major metropolitan area.  So whenever people want some action, it is/was a short enough trip to Philly or NYC.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:28:51 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »

Black Biker Week was held 15 minutes away from my house. I believe they advertised it as an Atlanta-based event, but it was actually in metro-almost-the-boonies Atlanta. Nothing really happens in my county, specific besides many Nascar races, Nopi (which was changed to some other title due to the lack of funding) . . . .  mmm. . .  that's it.

I love to catch the Jazz Festival in Piedmont Park Atlanta and Oktoberfest (only been there once since you have to be 21 of age. I'll be there twice this year). A lot of concerts are held at Lakewood Ampitheatre (Lil' Wayne, just recently though the majority of the crowd surprised me). Atlanta Braves suck. Falcons suck. Good job getting with the Eagles Vick.

Our fucking hockey team is the only good team here, if you ask me. I guess I'm close enough to Atlanta to say I live in Atlanta, but other than the typical concerts/etc, it's extremely country and Nascar near me. It's a pity. Fortunately these people trade in valuable video games.

Edit* I think it's also funny to mention that Black Biker week lowered the revenue in my county. Funny that. All the "people" were scared to go to businesses because of the mass hordes of brown people. I personally thought my job would have made money from it, but there were too many wrecks/crashes/shut down of Interstates because of bikers dressed improperly either motorcyclin' ignorantly or car drivers being stupid. A good balance of both? Twas loud. But it's like any car event near my house, IYAM.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:59:36 PM by Ithunn » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »

Spooner, Wisconsin.

The Hell's Angels just blasted a rival Outlaw to death, then stopped by the local Kwik Trip for refreshments.  Cute, but keep that shit away from me. 

Otherwise, we have Jack Pine Savage days which is a massive drunkfest with rednecks, and a rodeo which is apparently l337.  Supreme court judge Sotomayor is gonna bring justice to this town specifically, but I'm not holding my breath.  Stay away.  This whole town is mom-and-pop.  The city council denied Walmart, so we're stuck with overpriced shit from Economart (Schmidtz Economart, mind you). 

I actually saw an asian girl at the grocery store during the rodeo days, by the way.  This is the definitive honkey town.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 01:40:05 AM »

I live 20 min east of NYC.  There is always stuff going on I guess.  I don't know any cool unique events but I'm pretty hyped for Del the Funkee Homosapien coming to Williamsburg next week to do a free show.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »

Bowling Green:

On campus, there's a yearly game of Zombies Vs. Humans. In the september, there's the Black Arts Swamp Fes... Er... Black Swamp Arts Festival. In August there's a tractor pull. And The Wood County fair which is probably shit. IDK I never go there. Sometimes there are musical events on campus and they always suck.  Other than that absolutely fucking nothing.

Lima:

August: Square Fair, which except for this year has been absolutely crap lately partly from a lack of interest and partly from a fear of race riots. Allen County Fair, which is probably the second best fair in the state after the State Fair, which is the best fair in the country probably.

Rest of the Year: Various other craft shows and home shows. Sometimes the civic center puts on classical music performances.

Otherwise absolutely fucking nothing.

Christ, I live close to you....BG is only 20 minutes or so from where I live...

And you're right, nothing fucking happens in Ohio.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »

I live 20 min east of NYC.  There is always stuff going on I guess.  I don't know any cool unique events but I'm pretty hyped for Del the Funkee Homosapien coming to Williamsburg next week to do a free show.

Tight!

I live in Chicago, and there are tons of things happening all the time, but amazingly, I'm such a homebody, I can't be bothered to go to any of them! That being said: since there are so many people here, it's easy to find game related stuff. I'm part of a couple board game clubs, and the largest North American Blood Bowl tournament is going to be held in the suburbs in a couple month. Also, soon I'm going to a shmup-gaming-get-together (to play some arcade games) hosted by a forum member on shmups.com, and that will be fun.

But all the big city events (Bluesfest, Jazzfest, etc.)? All the bars and nightclubs? Who cares.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »

Syracuse is a fairly sizeable city, so we have all the standard stuff, Jazzfest (Kenny G headlined this year lol), Bluesfest, various ethnic "Fests" (i.e. Latin American fest is going on right now), blah blah. I worked at the Nationals car show last summer so I got to see a lot of that, it was really pretty rad, a shit-ton of awesome old cars with unnecessarily high-powered engines.

The best thing, though... the motherfucking State Fair in a couple weeks!! :D The fairgrounds are about 10 minutes from my house.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: