Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 09:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341145 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Any cool, local events?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Any cool, local events?  (Read 3954 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »

I don't think RI has any big yearly events or anything. Rhode Island is a nice place to live, but boring if you're looking for events. You go to the surrounding states for that, and jobs.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 03:49:33 AM »

Well, I live just outside of a small city called Newmarket, which is a half an hour north of Toronto, Ontario. It's the typical high schools, mall, and a bar or two, for the most part but every once in a while there's some cool stuff going on. The biggest draw is that Newmarket has a pretty large indie music scene, with shows happening all the time if you know where to go. Sometimes you'll have bands just show up to parties and play, too, which is always exciting.

This past weekend was an interesting show, actually. There's this sketchy little bar in the middle of town that puts on some serious shows, considering it's size. D12 has played there, apparently. But on Friday there was a charity show for a local hospice. The opening act was a band called The Elwins, who are what you might consider "Newmarket-celebrities". They're one of the biggest indie acts in the area. After that was Ruby Coast, who you may or may not have heard of. They're getting quite big in Toronto, and played the Sound Academy with The Arkells (who opened a music festival put on by an alt-rock radio station earlier this summer) earlier this month. Then, finally, the headliners were Tokyo Police Club, who you're more likely to have heard of as they're a fair bit bigger. They've just finished a tour, including playing some dates on the Virgin Festival tour, and when they got back to their home town they decided to play a small show. So I saw three awesome indie bands of varying fame for under twenty bucks. Not too shabby for not having to drive more than 20 minutes.

Meanwhile Toronto has always got some sort of event on! Recently there was Caribanna, closely followed by "The Taste of the Danforth", which is essentially a giant festival of Greek culture that attracts millions of tourists and visitors. There's really no shortage of things to do if you're willing to make the trip.

In September I'm going to be moving to Waterloo for my first year of university at Laurier, and that's looking to be a town packed full of events. With two universities and a college within blocks of each other, and other universities such as Guelph so close by, I find it hard to imagine ever being bored. I've already bought tickets to see METRIC when they play in Kitchener, and they're also playing the closing cerimonies of my orientation week!

EDIT: I suppose I should mention my hometown, where I've grown up. It's a rural town, more than anything, and the only yearly event we have is the Sports Day Spring Fair. For one weekend in July, a fair comes to town with rides and games and the whole show. There's soap-box car races, tractor pulls, and all that fun stuff. In the end, though, it's really just an excuse for everyone to go to the beer tent and get really, really drunk.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:51:51 AM by Ragnarok-Sabin » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »

Bah.  I missed Taste of Danforth...

Toronto usually has a few things going on.  Caribbana- celebrating Caribbean culture and a ton of festivities.
Torono's esteemed Gay Pride Festival...... ...not my thing.
Otherwise, thanks to the vast multiculturalism found in the city, there's usually something for anyone.

....otherwise, since Toronto is a big Canadian city, we get lotsa concerts.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: