Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338777 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  District 9
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: District 9  (Read 4658 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:53:18 PM »

http://movies.ign.com/articles/101/1013390p1.html

This came out of nowhere for me and apparently for the IGN reviewers too. Anyone here seen this yet?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:34:33 PM »

I'm seeing it tomorrow with some friends, but it is getting alot of good reviews and such so it should be pretty good.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »

I loved the 4th-wall breaking marketing.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:24:35 PM »

Awesome movie, saw it last night. Really great stuff.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:01:40 AM »

I thought this was a well-made movie, but I didn't like the main character at all throughout the entire movie so it lacked the human element for me. I like the prawns though and sympathized with them (especially Chris and his son). I didn't like that the last third of the movie turned into a generic action movie. It kind of bored me, unlike the first 2/3. I was very interested in the story up until that point, then it takes a back seat to special effects. The ending was pretty cool and leaves it open for a sequel if they want, but doesn't require it.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 07:03:13 AM »

I thought this was a well-made movie, but I didn't like the main character at all throughout the entire movie so it lacked the human element for me. I like the prawns though and sympathized with them (especially Chris and his son). I didn't like that the last third of the movie turned into a generic action movie. It kind of bored me, unlike the first 2/3. I was very interested in the story up until that point, then it takes a back seat to special effects. The ending was pretty cool and leaves it open for a sequel if they want, but doesn't require it.

I just saw it today with some mates. Josh's opinion above sums up mine exactly.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »

I saw it and I loved it.  The action parts were much but I think they put it in just to sell more tickets.  Regardless the movie was great.  Also you really aren't supposed to like Wikus.  There is very little about him that is nice.  I actually think it is cool that they chose a main character like him as it more effectively gets the story across.  I guess the only flaw would be that it may do too good a job of entertaining that the message would completely go over everyone's head.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »

I saw it last night, and really enjoyed it.

I think we're supposed to alternate between hating Wilkus and feeling sorry for him, then rooting for him. Wilkus' motivations throughout the movie are pretty much for himself and no one else. He starts out as an utter dick (the 'abortion' scene made me squirm), but what happens to him you wouldn't wish on anyone. His actions at the end make me believe that he's grown as a character, since it's kind of the opposite of what he's done the entire movie. (I would say more, but yanno, spoilers). I love that kind of protagonist; the kind that emotionally grows as the story progresses.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »

Just wondering -

Am I the only one who saw the commercial trailer and said, "Holy shit, they're making a Mass Effect movie"?  The alien in the commercial reminded me a lot of Saren from Mass Effect.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »

Just wondering -

Am I the only one who saw the commercial trailer and said, "Holy shit, they're making a Mass Effect movie"?  The alien in the commercial reminded me a lot of Saren from Mass Effect.

Apparently the director was making a Halo movie for Peter Jackson. The studios and Microsoft got into a spat and the film was canceled. Jackson felt bad for the director and was like, "lol, here's 30 million, make whatever you want!" and thus we got District 9.

So between a Halo movie and District 9, I'm uh...happy that the concept of a Halo movie died, because we all know the curse of video-game based movies. Though maybe there's still a bit of videogame influence there.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:43 AM »

Just wondering -

Am I the only one who saw the commercial trailer and said, "Holy shit, they're making a Mass Effect movie"?  The alien in the commercial reminded me a lot of Saren from Mass Effect.

I thought this exact thing the first time I saw a trailer for this movie earlier this year in front of something else I saw in theaters.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »

Went in expecting a typical action movie with way-too-fast pacing (like Star Trek, Transformers 2, etc) and gaping plotholes.

District 9 was so good. Completely bypasses catering to the dumb and keeps the plot jogging just right, mixing up action and drama in a totally awesome way. I'm... honestly blown away. This is the best sci-fi flick I've seen in a very long time. For all that you don't find out, it only adds to the overall mythology of the movie. It's great.

As to my thoughts on characters:

Code:
Wilkus is an unlikeable character in the beginning, but that's kind of the point. They were going for a "real people" view, what with the swapping between interviews, security camera footage, and actual cinematography. It's like what Cloverfield tried to do, only here it's handled carefully and totally succeeds. Wilkus isn't a hero and he isn't meant to be. He's a naive kind of fellow, nervous and awkward as someone in his position might be, without buying into a stereotype.

By the end of it, he's been through enough hell and misery that he's in revolt against it. He [i]is[/i] a good person inside, just not a hero. He's upset and frustrated, and it's all rather believable and natural that he simply wants to go back to his normal life. After being mutated, experimented on, having his fingernails drop off, his teeth drop out, being beaten up, bullied, nearly killed, losing his wife, finding out his father in law has betrayed him, and so on... How would someone feel? [i]Like Wilkus[/i]. In the end he makes the right choices, but they aren't easy.

A big giveaway that he's not a hero, just a good man is when Ross confronts him at gunpoint after Wilkus is ejected from the cockpit of the mech. He cowers, he's afraid. He has [i]some[/i] balls, but his inherent character is still there. It's a good, natural transition for Wilkus, from naive everyman to a tortured, frustrated combatant, without turning him into a soldier.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:23:49 AM by Hidoshi » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »

I just finished watching this movie and, yes, it's the best sci-fi movie in a long time. I'm not sure if a sequel is needed but if it's done right then...why not.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »

Fantastic film. What a surprise. I was expecting a low budget movie with a good story and some average special effects thrown in for good measure but damn everything looks amazing. Great job.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »

From a filmmaking standpoint (use of newsreels, security cameras, POV shots, etc.) District 9 is some of the best I have seen in a long time.

Lucca nailed the film's intent about the main character.

Overall, I would have this and Up as the two best movies of the year.

JP
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: