Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:46:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319738 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Information about Final Fantasy XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43 Print
Author Topic: New Information about Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 76433 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »

I just wonder how you guys would react if the 360 FFXIII's disc switching ended up like being Star Ocean 4's. :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: November 29, 2009, 09:15:59 PM »

Look out your window. Look at the world. All of it.

See how it isn't on fire?

You know how it probably won't be on fire when this game launches?

Yeah. That's because Square-Enix won't be that stupid about disc-switching.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 29, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »

Well, they did publish SO4 so, technically, they were that stupid. But no, I doubt it will be quite as boneheaded, but it is probable that unlike most PS1 and PS2 games you would need to switch to older discs when back tracking, and honestly I think I might be a little disappointed if that ISN'T the case since that would imply the entire game could fit on a single disc without cutscenes.

Edit: Anyways, I'm sticking with the PS3 version myself. The engine may be designed to be console agnostic, but that doesn't mean the PS3 version can't still look a bit better. Even if they look exactly the same then the lack of multiplayer (though I'd write that off in this case) means whichever one has the advantage wins out, and as such something as minor as no disc swapping will serve as the tie breaker.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:43:56 PM by Eusis » Logged
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: November 29, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »

I haven't played SO4 yet, so I don't really get this "backtracking" thing. I thought you changed discs dependent on the planet you accessed. I understand it, but Lost Odyssey did fine with four discs and you were still able to access all points in the game. I don't see how Final Fantasy XIII would require what SO4 did since the games have different premises and XIII seems like a more simultaneous environment. Either way, I like to minimize my console use anyway. I don't need to keep touching my PS3 for one game. The only time I could see disc swapping in games as a hindrance to the gaming experience is if you're playing something action-packed, and fast paced in the mode of an FPS or fighter or something. I have heard that people do not like disc swapping because they have to get up, rather than the SO4 incident. That's just silly to me. It's not like you're getting up every 10 minutes. Anyway, I decided on the 360 for the minimizing mention, and because I'll be getting XIV for the 360 since the majority of my friends will be playing it on the 360. No sense (to me for my collection) in seeing: PS3 - FFXIII, FFXIII Versus and 360 - FFXIV. I like ascending order - it's aesthetically pleasing~
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 30, 2009, 12:25:12 AM »

Either way, I like to minimize my console use anyway. I don't need to keep touching my PS3 for one game.

I really don't get this rationale, could you elaborate?

Anyway, I decided on the 360 for the minimizing mention, and because I'll be getting XIV for the 360 since the majority of my friends will be playing it on the 360. No sense (to me for my collection) in seeing: PS3 - FFXIII, FFXIII Versus and 360 - FFXIV. I like ascending order - it's aesthetically pleasing~

XIV hasn't been announced for 360 yet though, and if FFXI is any indication SE's going to want the servers unified for if it does come there. They've stated that Mircrosoft's cross platform policies were getting in the way, and it may be that Microsoft isn't willing to compromise on PS3-360 play like they are PS2-360.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »

I just wonder how you guys would react if the 360 FFXIII's disc switching ended up like being Star Ocean 4's. :P

What was wrong with it?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2009, 01:39:22 AM »

What was wrong with it?

As I understand it you had to put in a specific disc to go to your ship and thus synthesize weapons during the post game, rather than just let you access this place on any disc. Since the post-game dungeons are on a different disc you can probably see how this becomes an issue. Here's a video showing the problem.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »

Either way, I like to minimize my console use anyway. I don't need to keep touching my PS3 for one game.

Anyway, I decided on the 360 for the minimizing mention, and because I'll be getting XIV for the 360 since the majority of my friends will be playing it on the 360. No sense (to me for my collection) in seeing: PS3 - FFXIII, FFXIII Versus and 360 - FFXIV. I like ascending order - it's aesthetically pleasing~

XIV hasn't been announced for 360 yet though, and if FFXI is any indication SE's going to want the servers unified for if it does come there. They've stated that Mircrosoft's cross platform policies were getting in the way, and it may be that Microsoft isn't willing to compromise on PS3-360 play like they are PS2-360.

Yeah I'm wondering about the FF14 on 360 bit.I have not heard of any formal announcement from Square of its release on 360.If you could provide a link Ithunn, I would appreciate it.

Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »

I casually game these days. I have minimal space in my room. I dislike clutter of cords and am not interested in displaying all the consoles I have. Since I dislike said clutter, have a small space, etc - I like to focus on one console for a few months when I'm playing games (ignoring the PSP/DS). I also have my PS2 connected to my TV always as I'm still getting more use out of it than any other console. I don't have all my consoles connected. If I were to play FFXIV (presuming it is on the 360, it's what  I've just talked about with my friends - there's no confirmation) and FFXIII, I would opt for the 360 since I'm playing many more games on it than the PS3. If there's no chance that FFXIV is coming to 360 at all, I have a Mac, I guess I'm stuck with getting it for the PS3? Kinda lame, dunno how I'd work it. Knowing me, I'd probably neglect playing both games at all 'til I'm done with what I'm already doing. Either way, whichever system I did get XIV for, I would hope I'd have XIII for too as I like ascending order in my gaming collection. I'm currently uninterested in FFXIII Versus. [edit] I guess I should mention I don't have any of the games pre-ordered and just the soundtrack. Typical me. I won't have enough backlog done by the time the games come out and I can't be addin' to my backlog any more.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:44:12 AM by Ithunn » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 30, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »

Ahh, yeah, that does make plenty of sense then.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: November 30, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »

I like disc swapping if it is as epic as it was in wild arms 2. I stared at the tv for like 10 minutes still excited after the ending. It was like getting the "second part" of the game, with "second part" i mean like, the first one ended with an open ending and blah  blah, and then i "buy" the next game (though it was the 2nd CD). It felt something like that :D, so cool

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »

Based on the rumor of Squares displeasure at how XBOX live works I would not be surprised by a lack of XIV on the system.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:17:45 AM by Daggerstrike » Logged

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »

Don't make me have a sad panda.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »

http://i48.tinypic.com/2jg02eg.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/24g2joh.jpg
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:28:32 PM by Lord Dorkus » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: December 01, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »

I thought that was the official box art for everywhere.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: