Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338775 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Information about Final Fantasy XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43 Print
Author Topic: New Information about Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 79868 times)
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: December 04, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »

The story is pretty interesting. I don't think Serah dies, she's a key element of the plot but not in that kind of way.
I think you will end up being right but as one of SE own marketing pictures reveals they sure make it look that way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:12:01 PM by Lord Dorkus » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: December 04, 2009, 04:41:42 PM »

I think she'll get turned into a crystal at some point.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »

My take is that she turns into a crystal, but it's fairly early on. Either that, or that they find out that she's turning into a crystal fairly early on and eventually does. She's "die" in the same way Parom and Palom die, or Blank in FF9. Whatever the case, there will be this whole, "I only  have 3 weeks left to live, I better make the most of it" feel. You can totally already see it in the previews.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: December 04, 2009, 06:08:29 PM »

Yeah, that's probably it.

This is what I find interesting:

Serah is turned into a l'Cie by the Pusle fal'Cie while Dahj is turned into a l'Cie by the Cocoon fal'Cie. That means they are on opposite sides of the upcoming war. And obviously Sazh wont let his son fight in the war but he might be vital to protect Cocoon from the Pulse invasion...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: December 04, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »

I still don't even really know what the fuck a l'Cie is, or what happens to them... not that I really want that spoiled anyway. Is is someone with magical powers who has a crystal mark on their body (ie: Crystal Chronicals:CB)?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: December 04, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

l'Cie are the chosen ones, chosen by the fal'Cie.

fal'Cie are like god-like supernatural beings. The Goddess Etro (Versus XIII) can be a possible fal'Cie.

Anyone planning to import this game? It's coming out in 2 weeks time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:47:37 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: December 05, 2009, 06:13:37 AM »

I still don't even really know what the fuck a l'Cie is, or what happens to them... not that I really want that spoiled anyway. Is is someone with magical powers who has a crystal mark on their body (ie: Crystal Chronicals:CB)?

They are kind of like gods and can turn a human chosen by them into a l'Cie. When that happens a black mark appears on their body. There's a fal'Cie inside Cocoon who choose Sazh's son to fight the Pulse invasion. The Pulse fal'Cie (who has been inside Cocoon for hundreds of years without anyone knowing) choose Serah to help Pulse invade Cocoon.

Every l'Cie has a hidden power called the focus. When a l'Cie realizes his focus he turns into a crystal. If he doesn't realize it he turns into a l'Cie corpse. So apparently it's certain death for both of them either way, unless the others figure out a way to stop it, which should be their main motivation at the begining of the game. Then there's also the war itself.
What really freaks me out is that PSICOM are sending the population of an entire town into Pulse (certain death) just because there was a Pulse related incident there. The train seen in the very first trailer is one of the trains carrying those exiles. They call it the purge. Lightning is in the army so I guess she rebels. Hope should also be on the train because he and his mother happened to be in the town as tourists when the incident happened. It's funny that he and lightning already met in a completely casual way, though they didn't really have a chance to speak with each other. But she will definitely recognize him when she sees him.

Damn, and this is just the prologue...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:02:56 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »

Basically they're chosen ones who are given Final Fantasy~sqe power levels to go on a mission from god (or gods) or flip out and crystallize trying.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: December 05, 2009, 09:18:07 PM »

FFXIII Perfume:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7320/image386.png

From Siliconera:
When a major Final Fantasy game comes out Square Enix prepares toys and soft drinks. We’re used to those. They have one more tie-in product for Final Fantasy XIII – perfume.

A month after the game comes out in Japan, fans can purchase a bottle of Lightning eau de toilet. The aroma is described as a sweet peach smell followed by rose and then a feminine musk. Lovely.

You can get 50mLs of Lightning for a suggested retail price of 7,140 yen ($83).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:19:51 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 06, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »

At least it's only half as sad as the Cloud perfume. This actually kinda makes sense!
ULTROS!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »

FFXIII got a 39/40 from Famitsu (confirmed)

Reviewer 1 - 10/10
Beautiful graphics and superb story. These aspects can be enjoyed without feeling as though they're being forced upon you. Combined with this, the extreme sense of satisfaction from the gameplay, is a direct result of a system that's evolved and reached perfection.
With no vice to really speak of, at this time, this game stands at the RPG forefront of a superb combination of story and gameplay who's value can undoubtedly be experienced by all.

Reviewer 2 - 9/10
There's a few niggling issues like battle damage being difficult to see, and the screen being cluttered, but the amount of enjoyment this game offers more than makes up for it. You'll be drawn into the world with visual, aural, and story aspects. I have a bit of resistance calling this an "RPG-like RPG" however.

Reviewer 3 - 10/10
Extravagant and dense (referring to the amount of content?). A lot of points to keep your eyes open for and is very movie-like. Very beautiful movies are included in a story full of events, to the point where it's difficult to determine where to put the controller down at the beginning. With the amount of character growth, gathering and crafting available in the game, there's enough enjoyable content for you to last for a while with just this one game.

Reviewer 4 - 10/10
Including the beauty of the visual side of things, the total quality is very high. The script is strictly dandy and irritating (whatever the hell that means). Character typecasting is unavoidable and while there should be "your own (character's own?) story", this does not exist. However, the sense of satisfaction gained from playing the game is extremely good, and is something I've never experienced before.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:14:53 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »

A better translated review from Aokage at NeoGAF:
10: "Although the game is linear until the midway point, the story is substantial, like no FF before it, with its own distinctive appeal. The battles based around changing characters' roles are fresh and highly strategic. The tempo is speedy and you get very excited when fighting strong enemies. Being able to restart battles is a user-friendly feature I'm happy about.

9: "Unquestionably the highest echelon of event and movie scenes. Moreover, changing Optimas on a dime, the varied abilities and being able to use multiple magics at once bring real exhilaration to the battles. That high quality is unfortunately offset by a story that stays linear until the midway point. The lack of gimmicks during the middle of the game also worried me."

10: "The overwhelming graphics expressing every nook and cranny of this unique world, along with the praiseworthy direction, moved me!! The battle system is applicable both to beginners and micro-managers. The fights progress quickly, and have ratings, so you never grow tired and can always battle with a feeling of urgency. The melancholic story is also so dramatic, you can't tear your eyes away from it."

10: "I doff my hat to the overwhelming graphics and story. Since the game's various systems become denser as the story progresses, you find yourself pulled ever deeper into the experience. The summon battles take careful planning and strategy, so I was frustrated a few times, but the feeling of achievement when you win is something special. You'll be sorry if you don't play this!"
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »

Sounds good to me...

...so, what about the world map?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »

It's nice to know that Famitsu liked it...for what that's worth.  However I still think that they give the most random and inconsistent review scores of any video game publication ever.  These are the same people who game Last Remnant a 38/40 and Demons Souls a 29/40, after all.  (That is just one example...if you look you can find many, many examples of bad games getting high scores and good games getting low scores...)

ULTROS!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »

The Famitsu article had an interview regarding FFXIII.

The PS3 version will use a Dual Layer Blu-ray and the 360 would have compressed audio and video.

And Amano's artwork of the FFXIII characters

...so, what about the world map?

Versus XIII
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:38:44 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: