Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  My router is being an arse.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My router is being an arse.  (Read 1316 times)
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

Hi RPGFan. I need some help to figure out where to start on fixing my saucy router.

Here's the deal.

About two weeks ago I noticed my internet was falling into a weird, daily pattern. I'd be surfing the internet (both oh my wired and wireless devices) and my internet would slow to a crawl, then stop all together. Resetting both the router and modem seemed to instantly fix this problem. Then, about 24-36 hours later, it'd happen all over again.

This happens on both my wired and wireless stuff. I've been thinking for a while it's my modem, since there was some yardwork in my front yard and they accidentally spliced through the internet cable (this was fixed, though). However, today I decided just to reset the router, and low and behold, it fixed itself. So at least I pinpointed which device is doing this.

My router is a D-Link DIR-655. I did upgrade it to the latest firmware about a week or two ago, but there's no way to downgrade it if it is the problem. What would cause my router to do this, and what settings should I look at to pinpoint the problem?

Thanks guys, hope you can help :)

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

Out of curiosity, is your modem one of those modem/router combination units?  Your problem sound identical to a problem I used to have because my modem/router and wireless router were conflicting.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »

Out of curiosity, is your modem one of those modem/router combination units?  Your problem sound identical to a problem I used to have because my modem/router and wireless router were conflicting.

No, the cable modem is seperate. This is a basic wireless N modem with some ethernet/wired plugs in the back.

I didn't consider my actual MODEM conflicting with the router though. Hm.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »

Your modem itself isn't conflicting with the router; D-Rider meant that the built in router in his combo was conflicting with the wireless router it was also connected to. 

Anyway, If you do a lot of torrenting, it could be that the router's NAT table is filling up, preventing new connections.  We had a similar issue here and ended up blaming the people using bearshare.  Researching the issue was pretty complicated and I don't think we came to a simpler solution than to reset the router and refrain from using bit torrent or anything like bearshare, but I am no expert.

Thinking back, the computer we were using frequently had adware/malware/whatever on it back then (we used it as a public machine) and since it seems to be working fine now (it's been reformatted a zillion times) with the same router, I'll assume that malware probably filled the NAT table, forcing us to reset the router.

Just something to consider.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »

I actually don't torrent that much, so that's probably not the issue. Malware, though, I haven't considered. It's been a while since I used a malware only program. Is Spybot still considered the best?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: