Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319677 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse  (Read 170025 times)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1230 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »

Lots of Heavy Rain. The game has been great, but the plot starts to go downhill near the end and the twist just makes you say "what the fuck." Indigo Prophecy had this as well, but at least that game's 'twist' was sort of entertaining, I just feel short changed and disappointed here. I haven't beaten it yet, but I expect to in a bit. Overall it was great, regardless of another dropped ball by Quantic Dream in the story department.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1231 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »

Finished both endings of KOTOR 1 tonight.

The game is glitchy as hell in some places but overall it really good with a satisfying last boss and ending. (Both)

Started KOTOR 2 - got to Telos.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:24:43 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1232 on: February 27, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »

A Witch's Tale - 80 minutes.  Wow, this game's all over the place, which I kind of figured when it's from Hitmaker.  I like how initially your party is pretty weak but then you gain a few levels and due to the insane stat growth, you can pretty much steamroll everything.  I particularly liked the battle where I gained 5 levels (200 experience when I had gained all of 22 before that fight, lol).  I still hate games that only use stylus control. :(

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1233 on: February 27, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »

Started playing FFMQ again. Did the Ice Pryamid. After finishing it, realized I'd already done it and that the current save was the later one. Errr.

Oh

don't wanna pollute the main forum with this but...

I'm thinking of some bizarre dungeon in a first-person RPG that I'm PRETTY SURE is console or handheld-based, except I can't figure out what the hell it's from and it's driving me nuts.

Basically this curvy path like pictured. If you followed the curve, the thing would continue forever, whereas one of the side/horizontal paths would lead to a... staircase to the next level.

Seriously what the hell game is this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:59:18 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1234 on: February 27, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »

Finished Perfect Prosecutor: Miles Edgeworth.  Another great game in an amazing series.  The writing seemed a little weaker, and the finale felt kind of weak, especially since the final guilty party doesn't have a very spectacular breakdown sequence.  But the big selling point for me was that the logic involved in solving the cases felt a lot more reasonable and tight then in the previous games, I only had to resort to guessing once during the whole game.  Amazing game, simply amazing.

Not sure where I want to go from here.  I bought the Data East collection for the Wii and I've been fooling around with that (Magical Drop III is fucking awesome), but I want something a little meatier to sink my teeth into.  Maybe I'll try and finish a Tales game or something.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1235 on: February 27, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »

Finished up Spirit Tracks earlier this week, yay. Everything about this game is great, except for all the train shit. Fetchquests, giving people rides... not fun.

Playing like 6 other games at the same time now.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1236 on: February 28, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »

The Witcher  - Inadvertently completed the first chapter.  Whoops.  I think I may be screwing up the talent distribution, so I may be looking at a reset.  Hopefully not. :P

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1237 on: February 28, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »

Playing Through Star Ocean 3, Breath of Fire IV, and Alundra 2.

All three games are enjoying...let's see how long this last. I'm a bit confused about Alundra 2 though, its mood is completely the oposite from the first. Usually by now in Alundra 1, there would be 3+ dead people and sad music. Alundra 2 has been nothing but goofy. That's probably the best word to describe this game right now: Goofy.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1238 on: February 28, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »

Alundra 1 was pretty goofy, what with WD's brain-dead translation at all. I mean I know it was supposed to be a serious game, but they fucked it up. That and it had some really bullshit puzzles from what I remember.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1239 on: February 28, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »

Yeah, Alundra's puzzles were pretty difficult for me at the time.  I wouldn't mind playing through Alundra again now that I'm older.  I wonder if I'd still stumble on their puzzles.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1240 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »

The Witcher - another hour or two.  Fortunately (?) an issue with an NPC sent me back to an earlier save, so I apparently hadn't used my talent points yet.  I also wandered around a bit to get some additional stuff done prior to advancing the main plot.  Despite the fact the game clearly suffers from Planescape: Torment syndrome in terms of its misogynistic presentation, that hasn't been too much of an issue, and at least unlike PST, it is there to serve a purpose in this setting.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1241 on: February 28, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »

The Witcher - another hour or two.  Fortunately (?) an issue with an NPC sent me back to an earlier save, so I apparently hadn't used my talent points yet.  I also wandered around a bit to get some additional stuff done prior to advancing the main plot.  Despite the fact the game clearly suffers from Planescape: Torment syndrome in terms of its misogynistic presentation, that hasn't been too much of an issue, and at least unlike PST, it is there to serve a purpose in this setting.

PST was misogynistic? How so? I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just been years since I've played it, so whatever misogynistic elements there were I missed.

Haven't played anything on account of research paper, but I'm planning on turning in a rough draft tomorrow and finally getting around to finishing Mass Effect 2. After that, probably Resident Evil 2 or 3. Maybe both in a marathon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:52:38 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1242 on: March 01, 2010, 12:31:03 AM »

Alundra 1 was pretty goofy, what with WD's brain-dead translation at all. I mean I know it was supposed to be a serious game, but they fucked it up. That and it had some really bullshit puzzles from what I remember.

I'm not sure what they put in the booklet for the first Alundra, but in the second one they talk about how they translated the humor so I guess American players would get the jokes? They at least had the decency to tell you from the get-go that they were going to screw it up. But yeah, I was trying to look past Alundra's poor translations, haha.

I haven't hit any puzzles yet, but I'm waiting for that to come by. Want to know BS puzzles? Star Ocean's 3 optional dungeon (on that planent with Nel+Albel) with those movable colored squares. That was aggravating. I found the block puzzles from the millennium puzzles from Wild Arms 3+5 a lot more easier and enjoyable.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1243 on: March 01, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »

PST was misogynistic? How so? I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just been years since I've played it, so whatever misogynistic elements there were I missed.

Women in the lower ward are sort of objectified and treated as second class citizens in the game...

... except it's made clear on several occasions that this is a very bad thing and a product of the corrupt regime you're sort of going up against.

Also a lot of the woman in the game are fairly scantily clad, which is clearly far more misogynistic than forcing them to all wear burkas.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:51:12 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1244 on: March 01, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »

Women in the lower ward are sort of objectified and treated as second class citizens in the game...

... except it's made clear on several occasions that this is a very bad thing and a product of the corrupt regime you're sort of going up against.

Also a lot of the woman in the game are fairly scantily clad, which is clearly far more misogynistic than forcing them to all wear burkas.

Okay, I can see that now. I was like 10 the last time I played, so I think the themes kinda went over my head. :P
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: