Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 05:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341310 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 84 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse  (Read 175797 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: December 09, 2009, 06:09:20 AM »

I wonder if furries'll still find a way to 34 the train :T :|  :T :|  :T :|

That's nothing compared to the possibilities that a Zelda possessed Phantom can offer. D:

Anyways I've cleared the 8th mission in Yggra Union. Now to blow up some bridges.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: December 09, 2009, 07:19:30 AM »

I beat the Armored Spider in Demon's Souls last night. He was a bit of a bitch until I figured out to just used ranged attacks:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: December 09, 2009, 09:03:08 AM »

Very good game, thus far, but definitely only for the hardcore of gamers.

I can't agree with that.  A more apt description is that it's only for the most -patient- of gamers.

Shadow, you should know that this back and forth has already happened here. :) Eric feels one way... every other person who's played the game feels another. ;)  I've never played it, so I can't weigh in.

Hey now.  A fair percentage of the importer community agrees with me, as do the creators of the game(Although I understand that their opinion on diffiulty is a little skewed)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 09, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »

Hey now.  A fair percentage of the importer community agrees with me, as do the creators of the game(Although I understand that their opinion on diffiulty is a little skewed)

Well, I did give a wink there. :)  Mostly trying to yank your chain... which I realize is unusual for me.

But I have to say, I participated in a web conference with the developers just before it came out, and they said "This game is going to be brutally hard, and that's just the way we want it to be, because we want success to feel really rewarding." (Those were not their exact words, but they're close.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: December 09, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »

I've made it back to gaming. My "last" first undergrad semester is over. DQ8 was still in my PS2 and that's a bad thing because it means I haven't played a PS2 game in over a month. Anyway, 13 hours in . . . just saw what happened to Abbott Francisco. Pity. I believe I'm making bad time in the game. It's moving kinda slow for me, or I'm moving kinda slow for it.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: December 09, 2009, 11:46:16 AM »

Well, I did give a wink there. :)  Mostly trying to yank your chain... which I realize is unusual for me.

But I have to say, I participated in a web conference with the developers just before it came out, and they said "This game is going to be brutally hard, and that's just the way we want it to be, because we want success to feel really rewarding." (Those were not their exact words, but they're close.)

I knew you were yanking, I just felt like clarifying anyway.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: December 09, 2009, 11:56:17 AM »

DQ8 was still in my PS2 and that's a bad thing because it means I haven't played a PS2 game in over a month.

My PS2's at home and I haven't played it since sometime in early October.

Anyway I think I got a new highscore in Rogue. Goddamn vaults. I ALMOST got away, too, except for a centaur/minotaur/something blocking my retreat. Fucker.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: December 09, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »

DQ8 was still in my PS2 and that's a bad thing because it means I haven't played a PS2 game in over a month.

My PS2's at home and I haven't played it since sometime in early October.

Anyway I think I got a new highscore in Rogue. Goddamn vaults. I ALMOST got away, too, except for a centaur/minotaur/something blocking my retreat. Fucker.

That's nothing! I haven't played mine since March and I first got it back in January.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: December 09, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »

I'm nearing the end of Persona 3.Only 1 shadow left, then I guess I beat Tartarus? It's sad, because when it came out I was so hyped. It was my most anticipated game in a long time, but I never had time to finish it, then FES came out and I was overwhelmed with even more new games by then. Persona 4 came out, bought that, didn't have time to play it either. So! Now I've been slowly beating all my back log games.

After I beat Persona 3+Fes I'm moving on to P4, then finally finishing Persona 2. I think I'm in the Undersea Ruins. I got there and was like "Maybe later." Later turned into a long freakin' time.

By time I get all this done Strange Journey will be out and it'll be hard not to play it, but I mustn't!

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: December 09, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »

Not really PLAYING a game, but I did get the draw code and movement code functional in Boolean RPG again. Now I just have some abstraction/interfacing concerns to deal with on one of the classes and then I can re-implement Lua and do the scripting system.

And THEN I should have enough in place to start making a single-level game.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: December 09, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »

Finished Dragon Age: Origins and am completely floored. Haven't had a game experience like that since P3. Not that they were very similar, but they both elicited the same kind of feeling after I finish them, the same kinda melancholy feeling I got when I was younger when I finished a really good game or book and was sad for it to be over. I'm gonna genuinely miss the experience. Here's to a sequel coming out in the near future. *raises glass*
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: December 10, 2009, 04:42:12 AM »

Made it to the second continent in The Granstream Saga. I can definitely see hints and shades of the Blazer Trilogy in this. My only issue with the game, aside from being a hideous pile of polygons, is the combat system. I ended up getting cheesed to death three times to the exact same enemy (once not even landing a hit) because the camera was everywhere but on the enemy and movement is relative to the camera. That and the enemy had a tendency to launch devastatingly powerful/unblockable attacks which despite having a second long attack animation (barely long enough to register and dodge) gives its audio cue half a second into it (the real thing to wait for especially since you're frequently blindsided by it) which comes at a point where you have just enough time to lower your guard with before getting slammed by it. And this enemy uses this enough that I got stun-locked by it during one of those failed attempts. Even the first boss was nowhere near as difficult.

The tr;dl is that the camera sucks and leads to cheap deaths.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: December 10, 2009, 05:40:05 AM »

Made it to the second continent in The Granstream Saga. I can definitely see hints and shades of the Blazer Trilogy in this. My only issue with the game, aside from being a hideous pile of polygons, is the combat system. I ended up getting cheesed to death three times to the exact same enemy (once not even landing a hit) because the camera was everywhere but on the enemy and movement is relative to the camera. That and the enemy had a tendency to launch devastatingly powerful/unblockable attacks which despite having a second long attack animation (barely long enough to register and dodge) gives its audio cue half a second into it (the real thing to wait for especially since you're frequently blindsided by it) which comes at a point where you have just enough time to lower your guard with before getting slammed by it. And this enemy uses this enough that I got stun-locked by it during one of those failed attempts. Even the first boss was nowhere near as difficult.

The tr;dl is that the camera sucks and leads to cheap deaths.

If memory serves, I had to resort to some cheesy tactics to get through the game, particularly for the last boss.  And yeah, 90% or so of the game's difficulty comes from the awful camera.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: December 10, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »

So, I killed the last shadow in Persona 3 last night. I knew that it wasn't the end, because the SEES social link wasn't maxed out and it everything just seemed weird in the first place.

It turns that
Code:
Itukutski is a total bastard! I didn't see that coming at all. Then he tries to crucify us all? I knew something was up that guy. He had such terrible jokes.

"Oh, a hunter..."
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: December 10, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles - Only in Chapter 4, but I continue to be impressed. I wasn't expecting this much story, as well as details on the characters and the world itself. As long as it doesn't get too overwhelming, I'll be happy. Good stuff.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 84 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: