Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334414 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 84 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse  (Read 174593 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: January 23, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »

Wish I could join, Dios - I <3 Rock Band big time.  But I also have it on the 360, and am too cheap to pay for a Gold account for just one game. :D  I'd never play anything but Rock Band online.

Beat Dragon Age as a dwarf commoner rogue goody two-shoes.  Went one way on the final choice, then reloaded and went the other.  Felt like the way where
Code:
I died
was way more satisfying.

Started over as an elf mage chick, intending to take the opposite paths that I did the first time around... although that may not always make sense.  Oh, well.  Also, I realized after I was a while in that I intended to
Code:
make a baby with Morrigan...
and that's not going to work now.  I assume there's a way around it, based on what I saw in my first playthrough.

Edit: lol - when I made this post first, I accidentally clicked "quote" instead of "code" on the spoiler parts.  Made it look like I was doing virtual air quotes. :D

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
揖urt Vonnegut
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: January 23, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter is amazing. This is the last Breath of Fire game I have to play and looks like I've saved one of the best for it. I don't know if I like it more than 4 but we'll see.

Otherwise, I beat Dragon Age. Well, that was definitely the least amount of fun I've had with a video game in a while. I warmed up to the characters a bit at the end but that wasn't enough to make the game enjoyable. This game is probably my biggest disappointment from last year. Anyway, I'll probably continue with Darksiders and Dragon Quarter for now. I'm eagerly anticipating No More Heroes 2 so I won't start up any other games.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:45:22 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: January 23, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »

Wish I could join, Dios - I <3 Rock Band big time.  But I also have it on the 360, and am too cheap to pay for a Gold account for just one game. :D  I'd never play anything but Rock Band online.

You make me sad, sir. I have one of those two-day gold free trial codes I got with my rockband 2. You could join us for an eve, perhaps.

Regarding Dragon Quarter: the last battle of the game is perhaps the most epic encounter you will have with a gaming experience. I don't think there was a time I didn't get goosebumps, chills, or a boner whilst its divinity encompasses one's soul. Or something to that effect末I liked it anyway.

---

Dragon Quest V: Fuck the last boss holy shit I need to level up for days to finish this game. I managed to recruit a grand dragon, but he's only level 6, and just now gained his first strength bonus末which was a +6, but whatevz...

Dragon Age: Jesus there's a lot of Dragon-something going on in this page's first three posts. Anyhoo, I got the Spellweaver sword off the cultist leader in the Haven caves, which I don't recall getting previously. Arcane Warrior only sword with Mana Regen+2 on it, must have, yes indeed.
I'm not paying much heed to some characters this time around, having better knowledge of how to handle skills and all that. Morrigan I never use unless I want her maxed herbalism, which I just do in camp. Leliana obtained master lock picking before anything offensive based, then it was straight for Momentum.
Shale is my sex doll and never leaves my party. His giant bitchass Stone Aura at max level is too useful not to have, also alongside Leliana's first bard song, further stacking it with Wynne's Mass Rejuvination, and about ten other Mana Regen+ things I've accumulated末and now my Arcane Warrior can effectively spam out about ten spells then join the fray with Haste active, and have enough Mana Regen+ to let my magic shield absorb mage's attacks.

In short, Arcane Warrior: Most Bad-Assed Fucking Thing in the Whole Fucking Game, Ever.

Also Jet you are mean for disliking dragon age ::sad::
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: January 23, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

I tried really hard to like it. Mass Effect, KOTOR and Jade Empire are all awesome but DA just didn't cut it for me.

And now you got me all excited for the last boss in Dragon Quarter :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 23, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »

I DO like DA:O, but I'm kind of burnt out now. Maybe it's because I put in 30+ hours, or that some of the restrictions are getting to me (I hit the item cap too easily!), but I highly suspect I'd rather treat it more like a graphic adventure, so when I seriously have to fret over combat stuff then I start to care less. ME2 sounds like it's streamlined enough for this to be a non-issue.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: January 24, 2010, 12:36:21 AM »

Eusis, you're a pansy. My Rogue that got DLC-fucked had 98 hours and 58 minutes into her. My current mage has 60 hours put in. Also, i told you to get the fucking backpacks, they pay off in the end. That gear you buy to throw away in 5 levels is not worth it, however.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: January 24, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »

@GrimReality:

This is something I was explaining to a friend of mine earlier, I thought maybe I'd pass it along your way. Maybe you'll get an idea from it.

---

there's a lot of corridors and long tunnels
i have max Survivability trait to see enemies from major distances, so I can prepare tactics
in a room at the end of a corridor, first thing, disable party movement
make them hold their ground, you don't want them following you
I take myself and wynne, a mostly-healer based mage, down the tunnel
leave my rogue/bard at the mouth with a song buff active, and ready to start throwing grenades
leave Shale, the Golem character who you have to get through DLC, which is free now
turn on Stone Aura to give the entire party Attack, Defense, Armor, All Resist, Health, Mana, and Stamina Regen+ bonuses
stack 4 glyphs of paralysis at the doorway, before opening it
and from the hall, cast Inferno at the back of the room
earthquake near the doorway
a grease trap in the earthquake and the paralysis glyphs
this way, once they sluggishly come near me, i cast Fireball, knocking them, as well as me way the hell back from the blast radius
hurling their bodies like rag dolls into the wall, back into the inferno pillar
which also sets the grease trap on fire
causing furthered burn damage
then when they get close, the glyphs start being set off
I throw a Glyph of Repulsion into one of the paralysis glyphs, which triggers Paralysis Explosion
which hits even your own party members even on Casual, be wary, it'll destroy you fast if not careful.

Then as I'm standing there without drawing my weapon, 15 enemies fall dead at my feet. Likely from how sexy I look.

::HIP THRUST::

PS: yes i play suicidally it is enjoyable
PPS: Vanguard in Mass Effect for life bitch.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: January 24, 2010, 02:20:38 AM »

Finished Phantasy Star IV, I love this game.

Off to play Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment!

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1043 on: January 24, 2010, 02:29:54 AM »

Dragon Quest V: Fuck the last boss holy shit I need to level up for days to finish this game. I managed to recruit a grand dragon, but he's only level 6, and just now gained his first strength bonus末which was a +6, but whatevz...

The final boss only requires your MC to be about level 40 to beat him. Parry should be level 35, your Grand Dragon can get away with being level 10 (give him either the Sage's Stone or that staff that casts free Midheals and that staff that casts free Zings), and the rest should be about level 30 (give or take depending on what is in your party). Also don't forget to stock Elven Elixirs and Yggdrasil Leaves. Also also don't forget to use Insulate, Oomph, and maybe the occasional Kabuff. Also also also try to equip armor that reduces damage from spells and/or elemental effects.

The general strategy is to have the MC be your DPS, Parry be your primary support, whoever has the Sage's Stone to use nothing but that, and the rest should be for general support. The only time that the MC should do something other than attack is if you're behind in your healing and you need an emergency Healall thrown in someone's direction, otherwise try to keep him Oomph'd and alive. Parry should make sure everyone's Insulated, its his top priority and nothing else should come before it (unless you REALLY need to Multiheal). Otherwise Kazing anyone who drops (then follow up with an Insulate) and Multiheal whenever everyone's HP is looking low. Debuff everyone if the boss Oomphs himself. And if he has absolutely nothing else to do have him take a swing at the boss. It is imperative to make sure that Parry has MP at all times though. Again, whomever you gave the Sage's Stone to should do nothing but use it constantly. If the fourth person is a high level mage focus on buffs like Oomph or Kabuff, then try to sneak in a Kafrizzle every once in a while. Otherwise have him/her/it focus on healing whomever looks the most hurt.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

@GrimReality:

This is something I was explaining to a friend of mine earlier, I thought maybe I'd pass it along your way. Maybe you'll get an idea from it.

---

there's a lot of corridors and long tunnels
i have max Survivability trait to see enemies from major distances, so I can prepare tactics
in a room at the end of a corridor, first thing, disable party movement
make them hold their ground, you don't want them following you
I take myself and wynne, a mostly-healer based mage, down the tunnel
leave my rogue/bard at the mouth with a song buff active, and ready to start throwing grenades
leave Shale, the Golem character who you have to get through DLC, which is free now
turn on Stone Aura to give the entire party Attack, Defense, Armor, All Resist, Health, Mana, and Stamina Regen+ bonuses
stack 4 glyphs of paralysis at the doorway, before opening it
and from the hall, cast Inferno at the back of the room
earthquake near the doorway
a grease trap in the earthquake and the paralysis glyphs
this way, once they sluggishly come near me, i cast Fireball, knocking them, as well as me way the hell back from the blast radius
hurling their bodies like rag dolls into the wall, back into the inferno pillar
which also sets the grease trap on fire
causing furthered burn damage
then when they get close, the glyphs start being set off
I throw a Glyph of Repulsion into one of the paralysis glyphs, which triggers Paralysis Explosion
which hits even your own party members even on Casual, be wary, it'll destroy you fast if not careful.

Then as I'm standing there without drawing my weapon, 15 enemies fall dead at my feet. Likely from how sexy I look.

::HIP THRUST::

PS: yes i play suicidally it is enjoyable
PPS: Vanguard in Mass Effect for life bitch.

THIS is why I'm not particularly enjoying this game. There's simply too much to think about. Honestly, I just want to run around and blast spells at things. All this strategic nonsense sounds like WORK. I will never take the time for that type of setup. I'll bet 75% of this game is lost on a guy like me. 30 hours and I feel like I've hardly done anything. I'm in the Dalish elf village now, btw. Oh look...more brown!
nitpick: The voices of the elves, dwarves, etc. don't work for me. They should have made them distinctive. Everyone sounds the same. Boring.
Too bad this gen has basically forced me into playing these types of games. Too much jrpg suckitude.
Don't get me wrong. I totally dig the characters, and the dungeons have been pretty good so far. I LIKE the game. I just don't LOVE it. With the small amount of time I get to play games, I should only be playing those I LOVE.
Hopefully ME2 will be more focused. The first one was, so I anticipate good things out of 2. I may be playing it sooner than I thought.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: January 24, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »

The final boss only requires your MC to be about level 40 to beat him. Parry should be level 35, your Grand Dragon can get away with being level 10 (give him either the Sage's Stone or that staff that casts free Midheals and that staff that casts free Zings), and the rest should be about level 30 (give or take depending on what is in your party). Also don't forget to stock Elven Elixirs and Yggdrasil Leaves. Also also don't forget to use Insulate, Oomph, and maybe the occasional Kabuff. Also also also try to equip armor that reduces damage from spells and/or elemental effects.

Well, I should first say I'm level 36, and I lasted 30 minutes against him before I just fell to my knees, and yes, it was from running out of MP. Heh.
My Grand Dragon has been my Sage Stone bitch ever since I recruited him. Immune to so many forms of damage, insanely high HP, he's a great choice. I need to get the Zing staff, but I'm poor from dying 3 times in the last dungeon. I know, I fail at Dragon Quest.

I do have one question though, if you know: Where's a good Metal King Slime grind spot? I haven't encountered one of them yet, but I know there's got to be some spot where they appear by now. Unless they're in the "Fungeon" as some call it. It is not fun though,  I bet.

-

@GrimReality: Oh, you CAN blast everything and not use any tactics, provided you use the right spells. It's as easy as casting Lightning spells on mages, as lightning damages Mana, using Fireball to knock enemies down/to their feet, and setting your party's Gambits末sorry, I mean Tactics末properly. If you're having trouble dying, just set one of your party members to use health poultices on you when you reach 50% health. Set your tank to attack a target you attack with Threaten active, so you take less damage.

Granted there is thought that need be put into this game, it's probably less than you think. Most of it comes from simply knowing the full capacity of your abilities, what they can do, and how they interact. I'm sure you've "felt" a bit like your actions weren't doing much, despite knowing they are, or thinking "I'm not doing anything," winning a battle and not knowing if you should feel proud? Sometimes that happens on a first playthrough from not knowing spell combinations or utilizing the Radial Menu. Remember, that radial menu should be used often in a fray, so that all 4 of your party members execute their shit at roughly the same second. Use an ability, then immediately hit LT, cycle to whom you want, use their next thing.

If this sounds cheap or "not actiony," or what-have-you, just think of the game as a Turn Based game when utilizing the radial menu. Like an old gameboy Final Fantasy Legend maybe. Combat doesn't have to be hard. Also don't forget to take control of other characters at times. The Gambit Tactics system, while nice, only goes so far.

See? Simple solutions, not much involved there. Try those two things, play like normal, see if it helps. I also would ask, what branches of your talents have you completed? Such as, a tier 4 ability or spell, all of which are absurdly powerful. Tempest, the third tier lightning spell, is a mass-AoE lightning spell that deals continual damage in a tremendous radius for about 30 seconds. Remember, lightning damage = mana damage = mages won't pester you as much.
Optionally, I highly suggest the Glyphs for any mages you have. Glyph of Warding gives anybody within its bounds a very lovely Defense and Armor bonus just by standing within it. My Arcane Warrior, save for mage missiles, has not actually received damage in about 5 hours of play time. This is despite the train of 25 monsters I mind blasted, set on fire, and soloed while my party sat int he back wondering "seriously?"

But anyway, yeah, get the Glyphs. They will make your life way easier. Repulsion is wonderful in corners, which you can back opponents into by training them, using Mind Blast to stun them, Fireball to throw them into a corner, then use Glyph of Repulsion and laugh as they all stay on the ground, unable to ever get up while you melee them to death. Also, Glyph of Neutralization is pretty much like casting an FF-esque Death with 100% accuracy on a Mage. Try it, you won't regret it.

Rock Band 2: Wow, I can be so amazing at this game, and then fail just horribly sometimes. Super pissed right now because I missed a single note in the middle of a song, killing my 100% FC and making it look just plain awful. The reason I failed this was a bit of impatience, lost my beat groove, and hit the note early out of too much anticipation. Gaaaaahhh.

Dragon Age: So I thought I called the landsmeet by now, but I guess not. There's eight billion things to accomplish until that. I opted to stand down and got captured. Since I'm playing a female, I tried to suck the guard's dick, then murdered him and set fort drakeron on fire. Asses.
When Morrigan and Alistair rush in to "save" your main character, if you opt for this path, I found it hilarious that Morrigan died at the entrance way before making it to me. I never actually leveled her up or geared her.

NOTE: Throughout this post I am aware of the oddity that I use the word "tactics" in like 4 different meanings. Fuck the English language because of this okay. Actually I'm typing another sentence and this one won't get a period, fucking sentence
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:03:43 PM by Dios GX » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: January 24, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »

Glory of Heracles: Being punished for taking shit out of cupboards is so against JRPG tradition.  Good thing the stat that gets reduced is almost worthless anyway.

Bayonetta: Replaying the Normal mode game for Halos, finding out that keeping your combo count up is almost more important than dodging in getting high scores.  All hail the X button!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: January 24, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »

Purchased Braid off of PSN and promptly completed it. I don't remember using my brain for a video game in a long time.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1048 on: January 24, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »

Shadow Complex.  I can't believe I waited this long to play it. It's wicked good.:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: January 24, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »

EU3.

Playing as Muscovy. The Golden Horde DoWs me and takes a few provinces while I mobilize. Simultaneously, Tver, a vassal, also DoWs me. The Teutonic Order, Yaroslavl, and... someone proceed to come to my aid. TO fights down in the Baltic region, while I deal with various borderlands. I attack their smaller forces while their main armies distracted with Yaroslavl. Take a province or two.

Tver starts siegeing Moskva which is where most of my new armies are being made. Fuck. I try to fend them off because if they take Moskva I'm not getting any new army to deal with the Mongols. Fortunately they end up White Peaceing.

Then Novgorod declares ware and I get a peasant uprising in Kholm.

Manage to white peace with The Golden Horde and start building up my army again to deal with Novgorod. They take Kholm. I manage to take it back, and I get this army of like 7000 cavalary to harass their infantry down to nothing.

Eventually I win and get two provinces and 100 gold. Only problem now is that I'm losing money and inflation is getting bad.

CT.

Played this for a bit. Did the uh... Masa/Mune fight. Noticed that combos like Fire Whirl/Punch actually do less damage than just using their component techs separately.

I do have to say, though, that the fanmade mod I'm using turns a game I was sort of lukewarm to into something *really fun* again.

Comment on Maxis, in general.

Maxis games made me thing. Most games don't do that anymore. Outside of Paradox, at least. What happened to science kit games?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:09:07 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 84 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: