Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:36:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341043 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 84 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse  (Read 175376 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1140 on: February 10, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »

Going through The Sky Crawlers a 2nd time through on Normal. I better unlock some sort of Extreme difficulty, because this game is way to easy.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1141 on: February 10, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »

Since I'm completely snowed in and can't do anything, I decided now was a good time to play through the Last Remnant.  Jesus this game is hard!  Hilariously enough, both major prevailing opinions on how to approach the game are wrong (Keeping your Battle Rank low actually makes certain dungeons impossible, and raising it really high with side quests is equally self-defeating), but I seem to be having somewhat better luck with my high-level game so I'm going to go with that.

About to march off to war, and just upgraded my party size.  I can finally make decent unions, yay.

The more I hear about that game the more I am reminded of FFII's system of punishing the player for taking the obvious cheese route. There's probably a good way of breaking the game but its not in grinding or the lack thereof.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1142 on: February 10, 2010, 08:58:59 AM »

I played way too much Bioshock 2 last night.  I'm reminded of the upgrade from Doom to Doom II:  very little changed, and that's just fine with me. :P

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1143 on: February 10, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »

I gots Super 'Metroid and Ogre Battle from the VC last night. Ah, such fond memories. I still remember exactly where to go and what do in the games as well. Funny.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1144 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:18 AM »

Bioshock 2 has been beaten.  I'm not sure if it's short or if I stayed up longer than I thought last night. :P

It's good.  Nowhere near as impressive as the original, but it builds up to a suitable climax.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1145 on: February 11, 2010, 06:34:43 AM »

I found myself playing White Knight Chronicles for like 3 hours last night. I'm actually enjoying it and I'm not sure why. There is nothing specifically engaging about it but I was finding it hard to put down. I'm going to have to check out the online soon as well. It's odd having my created avatar character playing no important role in the story.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1146 on: February 11, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »

If you want buddies to play with online for WKC. Feel free to add Alcazard0, though do remember that I'm quite high leveled, but hey, I can help out a bit in some aspects. :)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1147 on: February 11, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »

For those WKC players, after you beat the main game, can you continue to play or do you have to start over?

Also, for leveling up purposes, do enemies from previous areas ever get stronger, or do you have to level up by doing higher level quests?
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1148 on: February 11, 2010, 05:13:59 PM »

Quests are the way to go. It seems new game+ is for rarer goods, and some more reincarnation things, but I did not mess with that yet.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1149 on: February 11, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »

For those WKC players, after you beat the main game, can you continue to play or do you have to start over?

Also, for leveling up purposes, do enemies from previous areas ever get stronger, or do you have to level up by doing higher level quests?

There are only 12 different quests with the other quests being either level 2 or 3 versions of the same 12 quests. You're going to have to grind to get to those quests though.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1150 on: February 12, 2010, 01:21:46 AM »

Up to keycard E in nameless. I'm really not sure what to make of this game.  I'm finding items that seem like they should DO things but they don't. Things that are like powerups, I mean. Puzzles so far have been very, very lock-and-key which isn't particularly good. Actually, those aren't even puzzles. It's "Okay, here's a door. Go find a keycard somewhere," or "Okay, here's a radiation zone. Turn it off." Law of Miyamoto and all that, but... blaugh. Not puzzles. The only thing APPROACHING a puzzle is that sometimes you have to use your tractor beam to move stuff out of the way, or onto a button, or whatever.

Super Metroid... up to Maridia, but I have a headache right now and don't want to play that until I'm feeling clearer. SM's really impressing me more and more. I hadn't really played it since... oh jesus christ my first semester at uni. It's just... it's very tightly designed. It's subtle. The main game progression is controlled by some fairly lock-and-key style puzzles, but all the hidden, off map stuff? That's what really makes it all work together.

Lunar, just beat the Black Dragon (off >:3).

Lunar's odd in that I typically hate games like that, lately. Linear, fairly generic JRPGs, but it works, somehow. It's definitely a characters-first story which ALWAYS helps. And it remains pretty well balanced. Compared to the original Sega CD game it looks like a definite case of addition by subtraction.

Grandia... rescued the kid from his jail cell in the jail thing.

Started playing LttP. I remember liking the light world a lot but I didn't care for the dark world as much and I'm trying to remember why. Here's a few general ideas I'm sort of getting but they could be wrong.

- Dark World seemed to de-emphasize exploration. It still HAD it but you weren't finding nearly as much hidden, interesting stuff, and the focus shifted more to the dungeons.
- Some of the puzzles got a bit... odd in the Dark World. I think I remember a few instances of things where the hints to the puzzles were given a rather long time ago. Like, replaying it now, some guys in the first Kohkroliera Village give clues about stuff that happens pretty late in the game. Which is... awkwardish.
- The dark world also feels decidedly more linear. I'm pretty sure it ISN'T though, so... I don't know. This actually might be relevant to what PM said in that pacing thread about how some open-ended gamesdon't feel that way for... some reason.
- LttP does bright and airy really well. It doesn't do dark particularly well.
- Generally I don't think the 2D zelda games' dungeons had a lot of character to them. While they were different in that they'd use whatever theme item you found there was, visually they're all very similar, and even in a gameplay sense they tend to pull off a lot of the same tricks over and over again. I'm actually discovering that Oracle of Seasons was pretty bad about this. It uses that spinner gate several times, for instance, and those damn sidescrolling bits...
-- Unfortunate counterpoint to this, though, is that the 3D Zeldas tend to have a lot of gimmick dungeons. However I sort of find these more interesting because they have their own unique character to them. On the other hand, OoT's controls just sort of irritate me, and while I think that TP's dungeons are done *really well* the issue with a lot of the items having limited usefuless outside of them isn't very cool.

In general it doesn't seem like the puzzles in the Zelda games are that creative. Well, no. That's not what I mean. They don't inspire creative solutions. In both the 2D and 3D games, each dungeon'll tend to have a particular subset of puzzles that gets reused throughout it and it gets sort of tedious once you figure out how to do it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1151 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »

Been playing Valkyrie Profile 2

I love this game.  Its incredibly hard unless you take the time to build your characters.  Then you feel rewarded for conquering it. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1152 on: February 12, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »

Dragon Age - Still in Orzammar.
Code:
Did the Proving battles, the Dust Town stuff, and am now about to go after Branka in the Deep Road.
This is really kinda dragging right now. The whole Dwarf scenario is boring to me.
After 45+ hours I am ready to be done with this game. It's good, but it is distinctly lacking in "Awesome"
March should bring the Awesome.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1153 on: February 12, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »

I leaving for vacation today. I'm taking Tales of Phantasia with me. Maybe I'll finally beat it so I can start playing something more interesting. I'm also taking Dungeon Explorer for PSP, that way I won't be tempted to play PSP instead of Tales of Phantasia.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1154 on: February 12, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »

In general it doesn't seem like the puzzles in the Zelda games are that creative. Well, no. That's not what I mean. They don't inspire creative solutions. In both the 2D and 3D games, each dungeon'll tend to have a particular subset of puzzles that gets reused throughout it and it gets sort of tedious once you figure out how to do it.

I think it's because you're playing LttP. LttP, being as early as it was, was not particularly creative in the puzzle department. I found a lot of them to be random trial & error: push random block in this direction. It was Ocarina of Time that really got down and dirty in the puzzle department, along with MM and TP. Also Minish Cap has really creative puzzles. But LttP claim to fame was really starting the epic plotline and tightly woven world. Great game, but I would agree that the puzzles are lacking.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 84 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: