Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 84 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game Journal XX - Sharpened Pencil Midnight Bathouse  (Read 174591 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1185 on: February 17, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »

Is that the part with all those weird looking creatures hopping up the side of the wall? I remember trying to do that for hours. Pain the butt!
Devil Summoner 2 improves on the original in pretty much every way, btw. Know I've said it before, but...

Except the main story. That where they messed up a bit, in my opinion. Otherwise you're right, although if you've just completed the first game you may not like the recycled assets (and there's lots of reused assets).

I do enjoy it, however, and think it's still a very good game (bad Megaten is an excellent game, good Megaten is heavenly). I haven't completed it yet, I'm still in the 7th chapter, but I've made it to final dungeon.

Anything recycled doesn't bother me. I loved the first game, so any improvements are going to make me like it even more. I know they took out the random battles in town, which I hated. From the videos I watched it looks like they improved Raidou's running speed too, which I also had a problem with.

I got side tracked last night and started up a new game in Dark Cloud 2. I used to own this game when it came out, but I traded it in. Just recently I remembered it and was looking up prices online. It's a little expensive. The very next day at work we got in a copy and I snatched it. Got it for free because we just games to wholesale.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1186 on: February 17, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »

I liked DS2's story more. DS1 had this whole... random mish-mash of old-time conspiracy theories vibe to it. And the writing was goofy. DS2 tones down the 1930s gangster slang a lot.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1187 on: February 17, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »

I've been sick for the past 2 days, so I've been playing the hell out of ME2. I'm back to where I left off when I accidently deleted the saves. I just finished with Grunt and Mordin's missions on Tuchanka. Man, Mordin's mission was great, probably my favorite side story so far, you really get some insight into his character. I also really liked Tali's side story, but she's always been one of my favorite characters. Great to see they've really flushed her out in ME2.

All in all, ME2 is just a killer game. They really took a lot of the right approaches to the progression. ME1 basically consited of 4 REALLY LONG missions, which would get gruelling after a while. ME2 splits things up into smaller bite-size chunks, which allows for more variety. I really wasn't sorry to see the citidel downsized so much either. I thought the citidel got talked up way too much in ME1, and most of the time I found it repeatative and boring. Splitting the urban settings up between the Citidel, Omega, and Illium was a great way to go. About the only thing I miss from ME1 was the map and the few fun driving sections (Skyway and Peak 15).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:55:41 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1188 on: February 17, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »

I'm kinda confused by the abilities system to the extent that it's making me feel kind of stupid that I don't understand it by now.

You're correct that you learn it from items, and AP must be gained to learn the ability permanently. You'll want to always search the shops for items that can teach abilities. Remember, new classes are unlocked by having a certain number of abilities for other classes. EG: to unlock Ninja, you must have learned six different Thief specific abilities. That will take a while, btw, as the game is designed to only give you 1 less than enough to unlock Ninja until a bit further into the game.

FYI, Ninja is touted as a "Dual Wielding" class, but you cannot obtain the sword that teaches Dual Wield for a very long time. Also, it requires 999AP to learn. I am not kidding. However, this allows you to dual wield two bastard swords or holy paladin swords at a time, if you switch to Paladin and give yourself Dual Wield for example.

---

Dragon Age: I'm messing around with a dwarf rogue doing the opposite of what I'd do IRL. So far I have killed pretty much every person who didn't deserve it, let assholes live, robbed and stolen from so many people the grey wardens are viewed as a thief brigade in ferelden, and finally unlocked the Reaver specialization.

ADDENDUM: So I know how to Backstab an opponent 5 times within less than 1 second now. My Rogue is currently stronger than two mages thanks to a silly abusable method I have just discovered. Now, if I could combine this with mages and have telekenetic weapons, frost weapons, flame weapons, and give myself Highly Concentrated Deathroot Extract to stun 50% of my attacks, I will be able to effectively backstab regardless of direction simply due to how rapid I attack now.

Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:51:06 PM by Dios GX » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1189 on: February 18, 2010, 03:14:19 AM »

TP - Beat Arbiter's Ground. Need to find a plot summary somewhere since I completely forgot what I was doing since I uh... finished whatever the last dungeon before that was.

Super Metroid - Spring ball. That was... really, really hard to get. Because I suck dicks at wall jumping.

Some other fucking thing. Seriously I was going to say something but totally forgot what.

Sadly enough, the plot up until Arbiter's Ground just got thrown out the window, including anything that had to do with the drug trip.

Spring Ball is one of those items that's possible to sequence break to get, but more often than not its just not worth getting even with the Space Jump. I'm just glad they built that function into the Hi-Jump Boots of later games.

Is that the part with all those weird looking creatures hopping up the side of the wall? I remember trying to do that for hours. Pain the butt!

No. That's in Brinstar. The Spring Ball requires you to wall jump up a one block wide hole in the ceiling from a floor of quicksand. Also you have to grapple the reappearing block (or just shoot it) and then make the jump which is incredibly annoying due to all of the timing involved.

Anyway I was playing Oracle of Seasons while letting my Harddrive defrag. I jumped into some subrosan portal and immediately had my roc's feather taken away, and the only way to get it back is some awkward, repetitive stealth segment. Yeah. I don't think I'm gonna be playing this anymore.

You have to do it a second time if you want to get an item needed for the Upgraded Shield. Fortunately, its not that hard at all since they always do the same routine. That said, the Oracle games were really big on minigames.

I've been switching to Etrian Odyssey II myself every so often from my Lost Odyssey playing. I think it's making me realize the problems with JRPGs transitioning to the current generation; this might just be seen as rephrasing the problem but it seems to me that it's less of the games being outdated as that the technology of modern consoles can be far more than they really need. Something like EOII goes by nice and fast because of how minimalist it is, whereas the same actions in LO's engine would take something like 5 times longer at a minimum due to all the animations.

Of course, the developers could just suck too! Mistwalker's two debut games have arguably shown just why FFs have dropped their party member count over the years.

FINALLY!!! Somebody else gets it!

I've been playing through FFTA2. Honestly I've never gotten into any tactical RPG. Ever. Other than playing Shining Force II on an emulator for like 10 hours before accidentally deleting my save and then never playing it again. Despite that's my only experience with this genre, this is the most addicted I've been to any game in quite some time.

I'm kinda confused by the abilities system to the extent that it's making me feel kind of stupid that I don't understand it by now. So basically, items you equip have abilities tied to them, which can be mastered at which point your character permanently gains the ability? I've been playing for a decent chunk of time now, and I haven't gotten much new equipment that I'm capable of equipping (other than a few new bows for Jydn). Should I be changing jobs more often just so I can master new abilities? Whatever, I'm sure I'll figure it out in time. I'm loving the quest-based storyline, which I have a soft spot for in JRPGs for some reason.

You should change your classes whenever you run out of abilities for a class to learn at the given time since if you're not gaining AP after every battle, you're wasting AP that could be better spent learning another of the 120+ abilities that could be learned for only the low low AP price of about 300 AP average (give or take depending on the race or story importance). Also don't expect too much in the way of ability variation since there's like ten or more different abilities that hit the four squares around you for damage with very minor variations between them (if at all).

That all said, currently on mission 4 on H5 hard more in FE:DS.

Also, I've beaten Kandar for a second time in DQIII.

Also also, I've picked SO2 back up and started from the beginning again only to get right back to where I was in only two hours, i.e. looting the rubes of planet Expel (instead of the eight that I took to get there the first time).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1190 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »

You have to do it a second time if you want to get an item needed for the Upgraded Shield. Fortunately, its not that hard at all since they always do the same routine.

I went back and managed to do it. The problem is more that it's just memorizing the pattern and I've gotten sort of tired of things that require memorization about actual player skill, which is why a lot of things in LttP bother me as well, like the bosses.

Also you have to grapple the reappearing block (or just shoot it) and then make the jump which is incredibly annoying due to all of the timing involved.

The block never reappeared for me, actually. Also I managed to jump up the hole on the first try somehow.

Not actually sure what the spring ball would be useful for anyway. I thought it was cool just getting to it thought.

Also I think the guy was talking about something in TP.

Anyway, as I said, went back to Oracle of Seasons after all. Up to the fourth dungeon. Stuff's actually getting interesting now that I have three seasons in the rod. J'ai besoind de ещ figure out some stuff with the object trading quest. Giving the Lon Lon egg to maple wasn't exactly intuitive because the entire game up to that point you're trying to AVOID her.

Also in TP I got the heart piece from the bird minigame, which is a minigame I was actually cool with because it's just a really simple math puzzle and doesn't actually involve much in the way of memorizing patterns and things.

o/` I do not dream o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1191 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:34 AM »

Died a bunch more in Demon Souls and got frustrated so I went back to WKC. Getting closer to the end.

Was quite appalled at sloppy dialogue work done in the last town I was in. Many NPCs have their sentences cut short, and some end in "<pag", obviously programming errors.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1192 on: February 18, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »

Yeah I get it now, I figured it out together while playing last night after reading Dios's post. Yeah I pretty much wasted a bunch of AP by not changing classes way earlier but oh well, maybe it'll make the game a little more challenging or something? Anyway, haven't played yet today but I'm sure I'll waste at least a couple hours later tonight.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1193 on: February 18, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »

Sadly enough, the plot up until Arbiter's Ground just got thrown out the window, including anything that had to do with the drug trip.

Drug trip..?

Anyway, finished the bridge and got THAT heart piece as well as the one sitting on the rock in... Need to get three or so golden bugs I missed. One of them's the stag beetle, which I checked an FAQ on, and I didn't see it where it said it should be. Peculiar.

Anyway this got me sort of nostalgic for OoT, which I... know is a lot clunkier but apparently Farore's Wind would address some of the issues I was having with falling the fuck off of platforms.

Be nice if that game had an in-game journal or a fortune teller or something. Of course I COULD just pretend I'm back in Ultima 4-7 and take notes of EVERYTHING. Which I should do because that's sort of fun actually.

Theoretically I should be studying for my comp sci exam tomorrow. Theoretically I have never cared less about a class in my life. I'd rather work on that anteater priestess drawing I started a few days ago. I find that more personally satisfying. I guess if I study for the comp sci exam though I could eventually get a job working 90 hours a week in the basement of some software company's India branch.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1194 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »

Fatal Frame 4 - Found the Hozuki Doll that I was missing! It was in the clock above Madoka's bed. :l Almost finished Hard Mode, but I still ended up missing a lot of ghosts. I don't think I'm going to worry about the Ghost List too much until I finish Nightmare Mode though.

Miles Edgeworth - Just finished chapter 2, and as usual, the series continues to be fucking amazing. There's really nothing to note besides that. :P

Idolm@ster Dearly Stars - This just came in the mail, just when I arrived home from picking up Edgeworth... :P Started up story mode with Mizutani Eri, 'cause her background was kinda interesting, but I probably won't play it very seriously until I get a bunch of other games out of the way.

Wild Arms XF - Act 2-2. Nothing really much to say about this game aside from the fact that Clarissa and Felius are actually pretty interesting leads. Also that a combination of Fantasticas, Elementalists, and Sacred Slayers is pretty awesome.

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1195 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »

I liked DS2's story more. DS1 had this whole... random mish-mash of old-time conspiracy theories vibe to it. And the writing was goofy. DS2 tones down the 1930s gangster slang a lot.

DS4 has Mushibito and Tsukigata fellows. Don't know how they sound in the original script, but in English they're plain goofy. :)

And that conspiracy stuff was rather clever, more-so than the plot of the second game. The second one is a bit too traditional for my tastes (at least the execution).
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1196 on: February 19, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »

More WKC. I'm still surprised at myself for playing this much but it's addictive as hell. I'm probably going to head online with it this weekend to check on that business.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1197 on: February 20, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »

Drug trip..?

Right after beating the Water Temple you get this dream sequence cut-scene where Link and that girl from Link's village who loses her memory and weird shit goes down and basically warns to not rely on the power of the fused shadows that you've been collecting up until that point, then you're dumped back into the real world where Zant promptly perma-wolf's Link and gives Minda one hell of a sunburn. Then that is followed up by a quick trip to the tower to have Zelda apply some lotion on Minda but instead opts to fusion-ha! with her instead. Then its off to find the Master Sword then head towards the desert.

Also Farore's Wind only brings you back to the start of the room that you cast it in.

Also you have to grapple the reappearing block (or just shoot it) and then make the jump which is incredibly annoying due to all of the timing involved.

The block never reappeared for me, actually. Also I managed to jump up the hole on the first try somehow.

Not actually sure what the spring ball would be useful for anyway. I thought it was cool just getting to it thought.

Also I think the guy was talking about something in TP.

Anyway, as I said, went back to Oracle of Seasons after all. Up to the fourth dungeon. Stuff's actually getting interesting now that I have three seasons in the rod. J'ai besoind de ещ figure out some stuff with the object trading quest. Giving the Lon Lon egg to maple wasn't exactly intuitive because the entire game up to that point you're trying to AVOID her.

Also in TP I got the heart piece from the bird minigame, which is a minigame I was actually cool with because it's just a really simple math puzzle and doesn't actually involve much in the way of memorizing patterns and things.

I may have misremembered a few details of that room (wasn't sure if it was a grapple block or a shootable block?), but its still annoying unless you have SM's wall kicking down right. That said, the Spring Ball just saves you the time of having to bomb jump into something. The most use it sees is in a room that requires you to sink down into quicksand to get into and is full of narrow corridors, but even then bomb humping will make short work of that too. Really though its just a convenience that was made a bit more practical thanks to it getting merged with the Hi-Jump Boots.

As for Maple, the idea is to not avoid her since she carries phat loot on her ranging from rupees and seeds, to potions and rings, and to a piece of heart even. And whatever you do lose from her is usually insignificant anyways and can be gotten back easily enough.

That said, made some headway into Yggra Union as I cleared Mission 9. Reached Not Japan in DQIII. And I have pilfered the pockets of everyone on the first continent in SO2 and now I'm ready to bulldoze the rest of the planet.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1198 on: February 20, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »

SO2 is fun but honestly I wish it would've been longer. To me it felt like by the time you got your skills up to a level where they'd be useful you were already at the end of the game.

Started playing Zelda 1. I've noticed there's this interesting thing in the dungeons where you need to use the layout to your advantage a lot. This is kind of absent in later games.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1199 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »

SO2 is fun but honestly I wish it would've been longer. To me it felt like by the time you got your skills up to a level where they'd be useful you were already at the end of the game.

I got that too.  I guess thats why the game features different difficulties and ways to play (ie; solo, universe).  Grinding is the best way to see it put to use, otherwise go through the fun of backtracking the final tower to do the Cave of Trials... god love Tri-Ace for being a developer who goes through the added effort of an extra-ridiculously-difficult dungeon and gameplay mechanics to help you beat them (that don't involve grinding).

Speak of which...

Just beat Valkyrie Profile 2...for the first time...and like 4 years later.  But golly, what an experience.  I feel a bit of pride making my characters ridiculously strong and overcoming the odds, so Seraphic Gate oughta be a good time.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 84 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: