Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327985 Posts in 13431 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Failure rates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Failure rates  (Read 3032 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »

August 17, 2009 - If your Xbox 360 hasn't broken down yet or suffered from the dreaded red ring of death, then consider yourself pretty lucky.

A new survey published in Game Informer's print edition indicates the Xbox 360 failure rate has climbed to a shocking 54.2%. The magazine surveyed nearly 5000 readers, asking them about their experience dealing with broken consoles.

Here are their findings:

Console failure rate

Xbox 360 54.2%
    Playstation 3 10.6%
    Wii 6.8%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.

Xbox 360 41.2%
    Playstation 3 14.7%
    Wii 11%

Percentage of people who rate their customer service experience "very helpful"

Nintendo 56.1%
    Sony 51.1%
    Microsoft 37.7%

Percentage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures.

Xbox 360 69.9%
    Playstation 3 12.4%
    Wii 6%

The magazine also makes a few notes about their results:

The reason the Wii has the lowest hardware failure rate could be because console is played the least of the three. 41.4% of Wii owners surveyed said they play the console less than one hour a day, meanwhile the majority of Xbox 360 (40.3%) and Playstation 3 (37%) owners say they play their console on an average of three to five hours day.

Also, only 3.8% of respondents said they'd never buy another Xbox system because of the failure rates.

How have your experiences been?

Update: Here is Microsoft's response to the report issued to IGN:

Microsoft stands behind the Xbox 360 as a superior entertainment console with one of the best warranties in the industry. We are constantly improving the design, manufacture and performance of the console through extensive testing of potential sources of any problems. Xbox 360 is pleased to maintain the title of "most played console" and the vast majority of Xbox 360 customers have enjoyed a terrific gaming and entertainment experience since their first day, and continue to, day in and day out.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1014486p1.html

I don't want to start a flame war, I know that fortunately this isn't that kind of forum.
I just want your opinion on this.

The fact that so few 360 owners are pissed for having their console constantly breaking down intrigues me. This failure rate is mindblowing, is there any other electronic device with this kind of failure rate? I've heard people say that their machine broke down 10 times! That's 10 times they had to spend several days without their machine. What can be more frustrating than getting all your friends together for an afternoon of gaming and having it break down on you? They replace it, sure, that's what warranties are for, but it doesn't eliminate the frustration of that particular moment. Imagine arriving at home with a new game and having the machine fail, forcing you to wait untill you can play your new game. And what happens when the warranty ends?

MS should be getting a lot of backlash from consumers but apparently that's not the case, I think that this situation is inexcusable and way beyond what can be considered reasonable.
Obviously some forum members have personal experience with this, what's your opinion?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:30:10 PM »

I think it's pretty much unacceptable. But it's not going to change if Microsoft doesn't get the backlash that should accompany this sort of service and quality of hardware? I've been extremely lucky though, launch day 360 and not a single problem.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »

Microsoft stands behind the Xbox 360 as a superior entertainment console with one of the best warranties in the industry.

This is true. and you darn well better have the best WARRANTIES in the industry when your stuff breaks so much. They're good about replacement. But that doesn't match having a console that doesn't break. I've owned a PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP, none of them have ever broken on me. Never had a difficulty with a single one of them. And I've put all of them through some wear and tear, trust me.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »

I think there'd be a lot more furor if the customers had to replace an early defunct unit out of their pocket.  As it stands it's just an extremely irritating monument to the completely incompetent build quality of the 360.  I have only had one Sony unit fail on me in many years and that was my PSP (oddly enough).  A system shouldn't die so often the first year you own it.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »

I get sad at the fact that there is such a large % of failures, even after paying as much as one does for a system.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »

I've had my 360 melt down 3 times and the last time it wasn't covered under the warranty anymore. That was back in February and I haven't bought a new one yet.  I love the system but the failure rate IS complete bullshit. I know a girl who's had hers break THIRTEEN times.  I plan on picking up an Elite some time before x-mas but i'm getting the longest warranty possible from the store.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »

I got RROD about 2 months ago and since mine is a launch console my warranty was expired. Microsoft still gave me replacement for free. It was awesome. I got a PS2 the year they came out and mine broke about the same time that my 360 broke after I bought it and I had to buy a new one. I think Microsoft is doing a good job here. The failure rate is still way too high though and completely ridiculous.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »

People make it sound like the PS2 fails a lot as well but I have two (one's Japanese, so the N American obviously gets used more) and never had a problem. My PSX died eventually, but I had one of the original ones, so I bought a PSOne.

I thought the 360s were supposed to be more stable than the original Xboxes. Between that and the PS3 price drop, it's even more discouraging me from getting one. Warranty or not =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »

I was going to come into this thread earlier and act all smug about how my 360 had never had any problems.  Then the fucking thing decided to have problems tonight. :P

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 12:28:29 AM »

I actually know people who did the "towel trick" where you wrap your 360 in a towel after in RROD's and leave it running for a hour or so and it will overheat and actually fix the problem by melding the shit back together or whatever. I've never actually tried it myself but I may one day dig it out of the closet and try it. It couldn't hurt it anymore:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 03:32:58 AM »

Towel Trick is just hilarious.  Overheating your system in hopes of things "melting back together" is rediculous, especially since the problem with the RROD are the X claps not being properly secured, and so they bend, causing the chip to pop out from what I understand.  No amount of melting is gonna fix that.

As it stands, my 360 did RROD, no warranty due to me getting it offa ebay, BUT! My dad was able to fix it, and ive not had a single problem since.  All he did was follow one of the many guides on reattaching the x clamps with the right washers and stuff, and reattaching the chip and using some thermal paste.

My PS2 actually died the first day I got it.  Bought it.  Rented a game.  Tried to play game.  PS2 died.  Had to send it in, got a replacement, no biggy but still, at least my original SKU 360 lasted awhile before it RROD on me. :P

But agreed, failure rates are pretty pathetic.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 05:22:37 AM »

I wonder what the failure rates of the PS2 are, seeing as the DRE thing was a big deal a few years ago. My PAL and NTSC U/C systems both "died" twice from that, but me and m dad fixed it everytime. The official Playstation forum actually banned me for a month for explaining the problem and possible solutions. One year later the members of the same forum voted me "most knowledgable/helpful member" and I got an nice PS2 bag filled with awesome goodies <3

Our Xbox 360 is still going strong, but that may be because we don't use it that much.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:24:45 AM »

I fixed my PS2's DRE problem with some WD40, turned out that the axle that moves the lens needed lubricating.

I haven't bought a 360 at all because of the RROD issue. As it is, most of the games I would want for it are available for the PC anyway, there's a few exclusives I'd like to try but still not enough to convince me to buy one with such a high failure rate.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »

I bought my brother's launch 360 about two years ago. It RROD'd on me three months ago and I bought A 60GB model. That one lasted me THREE WEEKS! It didn't RROD, it just has no visual. Extremely lame. I've decided to wait a while before buying another, I have plenty of backlog games on my PS2, PSP and DS.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »

survey of 5,000 readers? Eh, I'd like a higher count before looking at any percentages.

My 360 only has problems when I play Tales of Vesperia, which actually caused me to stop playing. It wasn't too bad though, I knew when the system was going to break down when the machine stopped making it's humming noise, which was an indicator to save that game immediately. I've never had troubles on any other game. I think my system is more game prejudice than broken.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: