Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329336 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm  (Read 18680 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »

I know most of us are WoWed out these days, but all the info trickling out these days is worthy of a topic at the least. :P

So, most of the stats are gone or changed.  Talent trees are changing beyond recognition.  Lock shards are turning into death knight runes.  All the old world zones are being revamped.  So on and so forth.  If nothing else, I admire the scope of the changes, especially the changes to the old world.  Personally speaking, WoW lost most of its charm when Burning Crusade came out and we started dealing with fucking space goats and what have you.  Bringing things back to familiar ground will raise my interest, if nothing else does. :P

What do you bitches think so far?

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »

Ive gotta agree with you D.  Azeroth ended up being such a drag lately that I couldn't even get up the interest to make any new alts.  Assuming they pull this off well (which I think they will) its gonna be a great thing.  The two new races are alright.  Im curious to see how the worgen work, since I was reading 1ups hands on and it sounded like at least in the beginning you can change between a human form and your worgen form, so wether thats only in the beginning, or something that sticks around throughout the game will be interesting to see.  I like it because ive always been a big werewolf fan (Not the pansy bullshit, the ferocious, bestial cursed kind),

Im also digging the new race/class combinations.  At first I thought tauren paladins sounded funny, but I read a comment somewhere stating that their holy power comes from sun worship or something like that.  Also..human hunters...fucking finally, I always thought that was kinda strange that humans couldn't be hunters.  Not as keen on Night Elves being mages, due to the lore behind such things, but still.

This bitch thinks 2010 cannot come fast enough :p

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »

I am interested to see what they actually do with the old world. I know they are changing the landscapes, but are they also going to modify and change the instances? I havent seen anything on it, but it would make sense. I want to change my druid to a Worgen druid, haha.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:21:34 PM »

II know they are changing the landscapes, but are they also going to modify and change the instances?

Yes sir.

Heroic Deadmines?  I'll take two, please.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »

I saw that about the Heroic SFK and Deadmines, but are they changing others? Not just adding a heroic, but actually changing. For instance...Wailing Caverns. That place needs an overhaul. So do a few other instances. Give them more quests, make them shorter, more fun. I know they dont care much about old content, but since they are changing the landscape, why not change a few instances too?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Harlequin

Hi, I'm swedish

harlequin@stockholm.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »

Would like to see BDF instead of DM since it fits in better with the expansion. Not sure why you want them to change more old instances though. I dunno about you but I think it'd get old pretty fast, would much rather see new and fresh content. Besides, from a lore perspective it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to "revisit" old instances and do the same thing all over again, whether the layout of the instance is changed or not.

Anyway, I'm actually getting pretty excited about Cataclysm. They did fuck over the lore quite a bit with the Night Elf Mage thing, but hopefully they'll find a good way to implement it without causing everybody who gives a shit to nerdrage. It still doesn't make a single bit of sense at this point. At the moment I'm just glad they haven't said anything about Thrall becoming the new Guardian, and hopefully they never will either :P

Be awesome instead.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »

Well, with the Cataclysm and the change in the physical landscape it makes sense for things to change in the instances. WC for instance could have some parts closed off, other things opened up, etc. Blackfathom is one of the most useless instances in the game, but with the cataclysm it seemed like the perfect time to revisit it and make some changes. Sure, I want to see new and fresh content, but that doesn't mean I don't also want to see them freshen up some old content.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »

Speaking of lore, should we be scrambling to get all of the current Loremaster achievements before the cataclysm?

Level cap raised by only 5?  I was actually hoping that they'd do something different by raising the cap by 20 instead of the standard 10... but no, we get 5.  I am willing to bet it will be a painfully slow 5 levels, which is ok I guess.  PVP exp doesn't hurt.

The expansion will breathe a good 4 months of life into this game for me... just like Lich King did.  This news makes me want to resubscribe right now, and it'd be ok since I quit right before dual spec was released.

Good!

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Harlequin

Hi, I'm swedish

harlequin@stockholm.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »

Well, with the Cataclysm and the change in the physical landscape it makes sense for things to change in the instances. WC for instance could have some parts closed off, other things opened up, etc. Blackfathom is one of the most useless instances in the game, but with the cataclysm it seemed like the perfect time to revisit it and make some changes. Sure, I want to see new and fresh content, but that doesn't mean I don't also want to see them freshen up some old content.

What I meant was that BDF would fit better within the context of the expansion. Would've made more sense to expand/overhaul an instance involving naga, twilight's hammer and old gods than one about some pissed off masons ^^ I'm not in any way against updating old content though.

Speaking of lore, should we be scrambling to get all of the current Loremaster achievements before the cataclysm?

Was wondering this myself. I have a feeling the new quests will replace the current ones and count towards loremaster, but better safe than sorry I guess. Fortunately I've only got 140 quests left in EK.

Be awesome instead.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »

Honestly, when they redo these zones, it wouldn't surprise me if the BFDs and Maraudons of the world get deleted entirely. :P  Especially something like Wailing Caverns, because it looks like they're taking that whole sleeping druid shit that goes on there at the moment and are running with it out in the world.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »

FYI I just read the panels, didnt realize they were up yet.  HOLY SHIT.  Some of the stuff they have planned just sounds so right.  The change for hunters, the change for warlocks, the stuff they are doing with stats.  Reforging.  All of it.  I read it and it just felt right, like they finally got it or something.  I am super excited..course I expect plenty of bitching and moaning by the hardcore cause im sure they will view alot of the changes as "making things to casual and carebear" and whatever..but fuck em :P

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »

Cataclysm...of what? Of what, Blizzard? You're supposed to make every expansion at least three words; it's a tradition, duh. And preferably, the name has to be in the form "Something of the something".

Everquest
The Ruins of Kunark
The Scars of Velious
The Shadows of Luclin
The Planes of Power
The Legacy of Ykesha
Lost Dungeons of Norrath
Gates of Discord
Omens of War
Dragons of Norrat
Depths of Darkhollow
Prophecy of Ro
Secrets of Faydwer

FFXI
Rise of the Zilart
Chains of Promathia
Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Wings of the Goddess

PSU
Ambition of the Illuminus

Blizzard, this slipshod originality in your titles is going to end up making people actually interested in your product.

I'm a pretty light player of WoW so I don't know nearly as much as the rest of the people that play the game around here, but I'm impressed that they're going to bother to revamp old, obsolete content to the extent that they're going to, because it's not even content that you have to buy the expansion to experience. They could've been lazy and just like, put a portal into another time frame where the areas look exactly the same but the enemies are 20 levels higher and the gameplay content is boring as fuck (*cough* WoTG).
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:13:59 AM »

*yawn* seriously underwhelmed.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »

I am interested to see what they actually do with the old world. I know they are changing the landscapes, but are they also going to modify and change the instances? I havent seen anything on it, but it would make sense. I want to change my druid to a Worgen druid, haha.

Yeah, Wailing Caverns is supposed to be a lush tropic environment now.

I'll agree with Tenchi though, very underwhelmed.  I love Azeroth and I like the idea of the overhaul of Azeroth but pretty much other single thing is a turnoff to me.  I'm quite happy about it though because it gives me no reason to not try Aion.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:20:04 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »

Without looking at the particulars beyond what was said in the thread, I am not surprised by much of anything Blizz did.  I have no interest in the game still and I would say lore is dead but since that happened with the whole spaceberries thing, I think that goes without saying now. 

Though tauren paladins before their racials were nerfed would have been amazing.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: