Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330093 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm  (Read 18789 times)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »

I ran half of heroic Culling of Stratholme without a healer all together the other day; simply slapped on Seal of Light and went to town.

Did they massively buff seal of light or nerf heroics because I sure don't remember that being possible at level 70? o_O

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »

I'm massively over-geared for heroics. First time I tanked a heroic, in the early days of Wrath, I was just over 20k health, buffed. Now, with the random heroic buff and typical 5 man buffs, I sit at, easily, 45-46k. Plus I've hit my 102.4% avoidance/mitigation, so I don't take anything worse than a partially blocked hit. That, combined with Seal of Light and Judgement of Light, as well as Glyph of Divine Plea's damage reduction, leaves me able to do the easier heroics minus heals, if I really have to. Isn't always fun, though.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »

I'm massively over-geared for heroics. First time I tanked a heroic, in the early days of Wrath, I was just over 20k health, buffed. Now, with the random heroic buff and typical 5 man buffs, I sit at, easily, 45-46k. Plus I've hit my 102.4% avoidance/mitigation, so I don't take anything worse than a partially blocked hit.

I had the same sort of gear minus 6k life (granted, I don't remember what crazy amounts I could get to buffed) and of course the glyph, but heroic monsters mostly tore my overgeared paladin a new one.  ~100 SoL procs didn't amount for much when a monster does 300-500 a regular hit. :(  But then I think I stopped playing before the str buff for blocking.

Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »

My block is more or less base. I just don't get hit often with 30% dodge and 23% parry. With Seal and Judgement of Light together it went relatively smoothly, especially when I popped my dodge trinket.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »

http://www.wow.com/2010/01/08/blizzard-giving-serious-consideration-to-mandatory-authenticator/

Serious speculation going on that no one will be able to play Cataclysm without an authenticator.  While I don't play anymore, I see this as an inconvenient, but really needed fix.  If they went through with this, gold selling and account hacking would fall off the face of Azeroth.  Thoughts?  It's at most going to be 6 dollars and possibly worked into the cost of the actual expansion.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »

http://www.wow.com/2010/01/08/blizzard-giving-serious-consideration-to-mandatory-authenticator/

Serious speculation going on that no one will be able to play Cataclysm without an authenticator.  While I don't play anymore, I see this as an inconvenient, but really needed fix.  If they went through with this, gold selling and account hacking would fall off the face of Azeroth.  Thoughts?  It's at most going to be 6 dollars and possibly worked into the cost of the actual expansion.

Actually a pretty good idea, though I suspect the gold farming companies will figure out some way around this.

Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2010, 01:24:41 AM »

Having been using my authenticator for a little over two months now, I 100% agree with their use, and making them mandatory, provided Blizzard addresses concerns of their customers who cannot have them shipped to more remote areas. Specifically, by putting them in the Cataclysm box itself. I think that's an excellent idea, and would not be offended at all at having to pay six extra dollars on the expansion price for a fob I already own. That six dollars is worth the peace of mind I would gain, knowing our guild bank isn't going to be wiped clean, or one of my fellow tanks stripped of her gear and us unable to raid as a consequence.

I'm not quite sure how gold selling would be solved--sure, gold farmers couldn't rely on hacking as a source of gold, but they still have ways of making gold (playing the auction house, ala auctioneer, etc). Account hacking, however, would be, while possible through phishing means, cut back significantly within the ranks of the internet savvy. This is a good thing, without question and I look forward to seeing it happen.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »

Well my biggest concern if it was "mandatory" is if that would encourage the most devious of hackers to figure out a way to beat it, and then make it pointless..granted I dunno how easy, if even possible it could be in terms of figuring out the codes and whatnot..but still, its a nice thing, definately.  Best 6 bucks I spent.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »

From what I understand of how it works, there's a small clock in each fob, and every one has it's own unique encryption (turning the seconds on the clock into a random number) that only Blizzard has access to. The only way to feasibly "beat" the authenticator is through phishing (and even then they only have about 30 seconds to log on, and only one chance at it). The only other option would be to get a hold of the encryptions from Blizzard, and frankly if they can get those they probably don't need to get around your authenticator anyway.

This randomized password protection feature is hardly new or unique. From what I've read, the US government uses it for some pretty sensitive stuff, so I imagine it's about as secure as we're going to get.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »

Well that assuages my concerns with that then, I was always kinda curious how it worked.  So yeah then, that would be something id be up for.  They better not give everyone a core hound pup though...I like mine being kinda sorta unique :P

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »

Having been using my authenticator for a little over two months now, I 100% agree with their use, and making them mandatory, provided Blizzard addresses concerns of their customers who cannot have them shipped to more remote areas. Specifically, by putting them in the Cataclysm box itself. I think that's an excellent idea, and would not be offended at all at having to pay six extra dollars on the expansion price for a fob I already own. That six dollars is worth the peace of mind I would gain, knowing our guild bank isn't going to be wiped clean, or one of my fellow tanks stripped of her gear and us unable to raid as a consequence.

I'm not quite sure how gold selling would be solved--sure, gold farmers couldn't rely on hacking as a source of gold, but they still have ways of making gold (playing the auction house, ala auctioneer, etc). Account hacking, however, would be, while possible through phishing means, cut back significantly within the ranks of the internet savvy. This is a good thing, without question and I look forward to seeing it happen.

Yeah, they'll most likely ship them in the Cataclysm box if they want to go through with the idea.  I can't see it working any other way.  I just wonder how they'll get enough of them produced since they had shortages in the past.  Supposedly the major source of gold farming now a days is account hacking (according to blizzard).  If they go through with this, they'll have to go back to their old ways of botting (which Blizzard doesn't seem to care about either) to make gold.

From what I understand of how it works, there's a small clock in each fob, and every one has it's own unique encryption (turning the seconds on the clock into a random number) that only Blizzard has access to. The only way to feasibly "beat" the authenticator is through phishing (and even then they only have about 30 seconds to log on, and only one chance at it). The only other option would be to get a hold of the encryptions from Blizzard, and frankly if they can get those they probably don't need to get around your authenticator anyway.

This randomized password protection feature is hardly new or unique. From what I've read, the US government uses it for some pretty sensitive stuff, so I imagine it's about as secure as we're going to get.

Indeed they do.  A lot of financial institutions use them as well
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:52:33 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »

Yeah, they'll most likely ship them in the Cataclysm box if they want to go through with the idea.  I can't see it working any other way.  I just wonder how they'll get enough of them produced since they had shortages in the past.  Supposedly the major source of gold farming now a days is account hacking (according to blizzard).  If they go through with this, they'll have to go back to their old ways of botting (which Blizzard doesn't seem to care about either) to make gold.

My understanding is that the reason the current "best" supply of gold is hacked accounts is due to Blizzard cracking down hard on botters, and making it more or less impossible to continue the practice. Maybe I'm misinformed, but realistically it does make sense; if you have bots running on dozens of accounts, farming the right things, it wouldn't be too hard to make mass amounts of gold very quickly, and would be much less likely to be caught by Blizzard than all the gold from a hacked account being mailed, one would think.

I could be completely off base, though.

Also, as far as the authenticators, I'd heard it was an issue getting a hold of one, though I had no issues when I bought mine spur-of-the-moment (good timing I guess?). I had the vague idea that maybe that was because they were holding x amount back to be packaged with Cataclysm? Just a thought.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »

Possibly, but the shortage was a year or so ago iirc.

Blizzard doesn't crack down that hard on botters anymore.  Go to the Charred Rise in Borean Tundra and you'll see what I mean.  Bonus points if you're on a PvP server and are bored.  I always had fun ice lancing botters down and letting a NPC do the killing blow while waiting for a group to form (old system).

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »

Interesting bumpage:

Apparently even people with blizzard's authenticators still aren't safe from prying eyes.  New trojans are starting to appear that can still clean out your account even with an authenticator.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »

Apparently even people with blizzard's authenticators still aren't safe from prying eyes.  New trojans are starting to appear that can still clean out your account even with an authenticator.

Heh, I called that one. :P  Unfortunately, where there's a will, there's a way.  And with all the WoW accounts out there, there's definitely some opportunity to be had for unscrupulous characters.  The authenticators seem to work like a password generator (just based on what I see since I never got one while I played the game and can only consequently speculate) so it's always possible to grab the information needed to circumvent the intended process. 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: