Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 12:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338385 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Blue Dragon is the most underrated next-gen RPG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Blue Dragon is the most underrated next-gen RPG  (Read 6836 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:33:59 AM »

I mean its got it all.

Awesome old school class system
Addicting battle system
Strategic charge system
Balanced and challenging gameplay on Hard Mode (free dlc)
Beautiful graphics
Charming and silly light hearted story
Dual language support for the great japanese VAs
ADORABLE art design

I mean its basically an amazing tribute to all old school JRPGs out there. Its so damn polished too. This game really should have been received better. It basically got attacked by the press because it looked cartoony and all game stories must be super serious with more twists than a latino dance party.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:46:31 AM »

Agreed, Blue Dragon is my favourite RPG on the 360 next to ToV, it's definitely underrated.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:53:42 AM by jj984jj » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:03:49 AM »

And it has the best boss battle theme ever...
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »

Im replaying it right now. Even the early bosses in the game have me on the edge of my seat! This is turn based combat at it's finest.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:14:54 AM »

Actually the music overall is very charming. The main theme is great too.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:50 AM »

I'm currently playing it myself. I too find it rather underrated. I kinda hate it how nearly every random object can be examined, and I'm not much of a fan of the look of the characters (escpecially since Shu doesn't look 16), but these are both very minor problems and it doesn't minus the enjoyment of it. So far, I don't see why many are bashing it so much.

I wouldn't go that far, but I too quite enjoy the Boss theme.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:32:11 AM »

Haha. I really liked how you could examine things, I could see how it could drive more OCD gamers insane though.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:15 AM »

I'm currently playing it myself. I too find it rather underrated. I kinda hate it how nearly every random object can be examined,
Just wait until you see that those nothings are worth something.  I stopped playing at 120 hours looking for those and still have not found them all. I'm not even at that high of a level because of those darned things. Once you know about them you have to search for them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:09:16 AM by Lord Dorkus » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:45:44 AM »

I just wish there had been more than one boss theme.  Just the reminder of it has it stuck in my head again.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »

I just wish there had been more than one boss theme.  Just the reminder of it has it stuck in my head again.

I agree. I enjoyed the song alot the first few times I heard it...then it was the only one in the game and I was sick of it by the end. I'll still claim to liking it though.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »

Normally Blue Dragon would have been something Id have loved, I mean it has all the stuff I like..but I just couldnt get into it.  I can't honestly pin it on any one thing, but it just didn't keep me enthralled for whatever reason.  I was kinda bummed I didnt like it ><

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »

I thought it was okay. I loved finding experience just laying around instead of only gaining it in battles. I remember about where I quit playing in the game is about where it started being really vague as to where you were supposed to go next. I didn't play for a few months then picked it up again and had no clue where to head off to.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »

I only got like 2 hours into the game but I lied what I played.  I'll get around to it eventually.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:30 AM »

I thought the game was a lot of fun.  The final boss did come out of nowhere a little but at least he wasn't completely out of left field like a few Final Fantasy final bosses I can think of.

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »

I'm currently playing it right now and I must say, I wish I played it on Hard mode. That's what's really holding the game back for me, but being 45 hours in, it's too late to restart.

Also, it's really hard to just excuse the story as "light-hearted" because for me the characters are incredibly annoying. Especially Marumaro. And the theme of "strength within our hearts" makes me gag.

Right now I'm doing lots of sidequest stuff near the end of the game and I'm having a blast.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: