Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's "big stories" at present: DOFUS tour and DFO interview
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's "big stories" at present: DOFUS tour and DFO interview  (Read 1601 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »

Hey all,

Would love to get feedback from everyone on either or both of the two stories currently on the front page (though that's going to change soon after I make this forum post).

1) DOFUS 2.0 Media Tour -- has anyone even checked out this game? It's a really interesting MMORPG from France. It's one of the few cutesy anime-style games that actually works on monthly subscriptions instead of microtransactions. However, the subscription free is cheap (like $5 a month) and you can play up to like level 40 as a normal player without having any need to subscribe. The "free" accounts are limited to certain zones, which essentially means you can only reasonably level to a certain point. But it's a beautiful game and I've enjoyed what I played of it.

Also, what do you think of our "Media Tour" reporting format for MMOs in general? We'd like to do more full-on reviews of MMOs, but y'all know the sort of time commitment that requires.

2) Nexon Q&A -- Bob Richardson laid down the law re: Dungeon Fighter Online a few months ago(even though he gave a relatively high score). This invariably led to Nexon wanting to address some of our contentions with the game, and it gave us the mutual benefit of letting us ask a couple of tougher questions than what the interview says.

What do you think of this interview? Would love to hear from anyone/everyone.

Thanks guys. Sorry for "fishing" for opinions, but we do want to know if coverage like this is something our current readerbase enjoys. We've enjoyed reporting it, but we also know that we're so light on MMOs compared to single-player RPGs and that other sites dedicated to MMOs go much further in depth, so it's tough to know how to proceed. We hope these kinds of articles help to "fill the gap" a bit.

Ramza

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »

I've been out of the MMORPG scene for a few years by now, but I do appreciate having a look at what's going on. I had a lot of friends playing Dofus a while back, and seeing how it got updated is most definitely interesting, even if I'm reluctant to dump a monthly fee in a game of that calibre. Still, the media tour itself was definitely interesting and it gives a good idea of how the game is. Also,  as you said, making reviews for MMORPG is pretty damn complicated due to their time consuming nature, so functioning that way just works out for everyone, even if the game developers might show you want they want to be seen.
But I hope to see more of those in the future, especially since high profile and high quality MMORPGs seem to be becoming more and more common.

As for the interview, that was also a good read. Good questions, and the Nexon guy clearly gave some typical PR answers, but that's to be expected.  He still sounded pretty serious about Nexon's will to improve interactions with community, which is, in my opinion, primordial in those kind of MMORPGs. This means the RPGFan might have contributed directly to making this a better game!
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »

Tried downloaded Dofus 2.0 for the Mac, but the .dmg file doesn't execute. Have yet to send them a question about this (it's either my computer or that file when I first downloaded it). Of course I have a bias for seeing reports on MMOs compatible with Mac OSX, so it was refreshing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: