Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319658 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Survivor or Knights in the Knightmare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Devil Survivor or Knights in the Knightmare  (Read 1820 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »

Here in the UK, we have to wait a few months after the US release before we get a release. But we can always get the US version on import.

Two games on import at the moment are Devil Survivor  and Knights in the Knightmare. Which one should I go for and why?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:28:15 AM »

Knights in the Nightmare is wonderful....when you figure it out.  Emphasis on the last part, too.

Devil Survivor is pretty good too.
IMO, the art style is a bit of a turn off.  A lad a few steps before professional (which should have been enlisted...especially when SMT has such delicious artists behind is force).
Lotsa replay.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:30:32 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »

I never played KITN but I really have to recomend DS because it's just friggin' awesome.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »

KitN is the technically superior game, but it's not really an RPG as much as it is a SHMUP strategy game.  If you just want a good SRPG, Devil Survivor is the way to go.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »

I may be biased, but DS is a lot of fun. And not easy, either, if you'r elooking for a challenge.

Besides, Kaneko can't do EVERY SMT game. =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 05:42:53 AM »

Knights looks good, but also looks like something that would take a looot of time and dedication. I still can't figure out what is going on in the gameplay videos that i saw.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »

Knights looks good, but also looks like something that would take a looot of time and dedication. I still can't figure out what is going on in the gameplay videos that i saw.

It's a SHMUP.  Lots of shit flies around the screen and you dodge it while attacking enemy units.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »

I played both so…

DS:

It's pretty much your sRPG, but once you get to attack enemies, it works like a turn based RPG, with battles in 1st person. The story was engrossing, so much that I beat the game in two weeks. Game in some areas can require some grinding. It has multiple endings, so it has a nice replay value.

Knights:

It's more shmup than a sRPG. Enemies can only hurt the Wisp, so you have to dodge like crazy, especially in later levels. You should complete the tutorial first in order to learn the basics of how to attack, charge your special, etc. The story is disconnected, told in a disorderly fashion, instead of the linearity found in Devil Survivor. Also, unlike DS, there won't be much of character development. You can find bits of background info about each unit by talking to your knights and NPCs during battle. There is no grinding in this game, since you don't level up by beating enemies. It has multiple endings too (and beware of the fucking scene #23).

tl;dr If you have the opportunity, get both. However, if you can only get one, I would go with Devil Survivor.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »

I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on in the first hour I played of the game.  Definitely one of the most unique games out there.  Whether that's a good thing or not, I simply haven't put in enough time to determine. 

Devil Survivor being a MegaTen SRPG is pretty much an automatic win for me.  But then I'm a big MegaTen fan so...YMMV.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »

What I want to know is, why is the choice always between KiTN and Devil Survivor? Is it because they came out very close to each other? I got both because they both looked awesome, and they both turned out to be awesome.

Right now I'm alternating between both of them. I've already gone through both of them once, but I want to get all of the endings for Devil Survivor. I think I'll just go through KiTN on all difficulty modes. I'm on hard right now. KiTN on hard mode is a lot harder than Devil Survivor.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »

KiTN on hard mode is a lot harder than Devil Survivor.

Well yes, a game on hard mode WOULD be harder than a game on normal.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »

KiTN on hard mode is a lot harder than Devil Survivor.

Well yes, a game on hard mode WOULD be harder than a game on normal.

The thing is, Devil Survivor has no difficulty. I expected it to generally be harder than it was because it's an SMT game, but the difficulty didn't come until the end.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »

It wasn't easy I found, except the very beginning. I dunno, I haven't beaten it yet so I can't really pass a judgement for Day 4 on.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: