Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 05:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337929 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Ready for the album of the year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ready for the album of the year?  (Read 1893 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »

TRANSATLANTIC’S THE WHIRLWIND
Coming in October!!

TRANSATLANTIC – the Progressive Rock Supergroup featuring DREAM THEATER’s Mike Portnoy, MARILLION’s Pete Trewavas, THE FLOWER KINGS’ Roine Stolt and Neal Morse (Ex-SPOCK’S BEARD) – will release their long-awaited third album in October 2009.

THE WHIRLWIND is a 77-minute piece of music that is sure to satisfy the band’s legions of fans that have patiently waited almost the entire decade for the reunion of these 4 musicians.

THE WHIRLWIND will be available in two formats:
A Regular Edition Single CD of the entire 77 minute Epic as well as a 2-CD Special Edition containing a Bonus Disc with 8 newly recorded Studio Tracks.
(4 new Transatlantic compositions and 4 Cover Songs) 

The Track Listing for the Special Edition is:

Disc One:
THE WHIRLWIND

Disc Two:
1. SPINNING
2. LENNY JOHNSON
3. FOR SUCH A TIME
4. LENDING A HAND
5. THE RETURN OF THE GIANT HOGWEED (Genesis)
6. A SALTY DOG (Procol Harum)
7. I NEED YOU (America / The Beatles)
8. SOUL SACRIFICE (Santana)

Oh man, 5 new TA songs including a 77 minute epic! Holy shit! I never thought the day would come but another transatlantic album is really on the way.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:01:52 AM »

I'll admit I'm ignorant when it comes to metal or anything related to it, but how the hell can a song be 77 minutes? I thought I read the that the whole album was 77 minutes, but that's one frickin song. God damn.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:30:04 AM »

I'll admit I'm ignorant when it comes to metal or anything related to it, but how the hell can a song be 77 minutes? I thought I read the that the whole album was 77 minutes, but that's one frickin song. God damn.

Even by prog-rock standards that's pretty damn long. The best songs on the previous albums are the longest though (25-30 minutes) so the fans are expecting something really epic. Keeping such a long song interesting all the way isn't easy but if anyone can do it it's them.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:14:02 PM »

That's really fucking long...

...like A Pleasant Shade of Gray long...

...like Garden of Dreams long...

HELL YEAH!!!!!
(granted, both of those are basically concept albums, broken up into individual tracks)

Honestly, though, when Neal Morse quit Spock's Beard and started sucking on the Jesus penis, I thought Transatlantic was through. I mean, it wasn't even a real band in the first place. Damn shame because the music they turned out at the time was probably better than any of the music each of the bands were doing at the time (except for Flower Kings, because Space Revolver is fucking badass). All four of those bands are some of my very favorites, and Transatlantic is quite possibly more than the sum of its parts. So I'm really excited.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »

Damn it sure feels good to be listening to another TA album. The music these guys create when they get together is magic. The epic is divided into 12 tracks. The bonus tracks are also great.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »

Never listened to anything by these guys...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »

So I finally got me LE copy of Whirlwind in the mail. This album is great! I think I like it better than BAF, which sorta underwhelmed me at the time. Although I noticed a change in how I view their sound. I used to describe Transatlantic as "Flowerkings without the fear of death". Flowerkings are largely an upbeat band, but there's always this tinge of darkness in their music, although sometimes it comes out as all out despair as in a few songs on Paradox Hotel. Transatlantic have always been purely fun. But Whirlwind is much more introspective sounding, so it takes on that foreboding quality that Flowerkings possesses.

I don't know how I feel about God. He's always there, in Neal's lyrics, but not really preachy, though the fact that he's just always there puts me slightly on edge. Thankfully, they give Roine a lot more vocal time... I've always preferred Roine to Neal anyway (more interesting voice). 'Course, Roine's a Christian too... but a hippy liberal european one, as opposed to a brooding born-again american, so that NEVER ONCE bothered me.

All in all, great album. Some good B-sides too. Can't say I much care for Giant Hogweed, that was always one of my least favorite Genesis tunes, But Mike totally owns on Salty Dog.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: