Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 10:44:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341350 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top Ten Worthless RPG Characters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Top Ten Worthless RPG Characters  (Read 15915 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »

He also had the highest HP and thus could equip twice as many Magic materias without having to have multiple HP Plus equipped to counterbalance the effect.

I'm not saying he's the best character ever, but seeing Vincent and Red XIII rated above him always irks me.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »

He also had the highest HP and thus could equip twice as many Magic materias without having to have multiple HP Plus equipped to counterbalance the effect.

I'm not saying he's the best character ever, but seeing Vincent and Red XIII rated above him always irks me.

Counter Balancing HP loss from Magic Materia however is as easy as slapping a HP Up Materia or two on the guy. The real question is does he have the highest or second highest natural Vigor or Magic Power rating of the party? You can't really make up for the offset in a character's Vigor Stat from loading him down with Magic/Summon Materia and if his Magic Power stat is too low than running him as a pure mage character isn't that effective either.

Besides the only thing I really use from him is his Slots Limit Break.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

Does it really matter either way where FF7 is concerned. With the materia system you can easily get through the game with whatever characters you like.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »

IIRC, he has the second highest MAG stat next to Aeris.  And I already said that the main perk of having high HP was that you didn't have to waste a slot on an HP Plus to counterbalance the losses you took.

His limit is easy to activate, it's the first one capable of hitting 9999, and he's the best mage after Aeris leaves.  His weapon is also incredibly easy to max out.  Compare all that to Vincent who has to land tons of killing blows to max his weapon and who has terrible limits at all levels, and Red XIII who is the third best mage but has an ultimate weapon that discourages him from using spells and limits that aren't special at all.

Ultimately, Darilon is right because every character gets stupid once you land the best materia like KotR, Mime, or any of the Masters, and even beyond that the best party is always going to be some combination of Cloud(Best character by far), Barret(Best Ultimate weapon, great lv. 4 limit), Yuffie(Awesome level 3 limit), and Cid(Triple AP Weapon, great lv. 4 limit).  But when considering the rest of the party objectively, I can't really see how anyone would rate Cait lower than the terrible Vincent and Red XIII.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »

IIRC, he has the second highest MAG stat next to Aeris.  And I already said that the main perk of having high HP was that you didn't have to waste a slot on an HP Plus to counterbalance the losses you took.

His limit is easy to activate, it's the first one capable of hitting 9999, and he's the best mage after Aeris leaves.  His weapon is also incredibly easy to max out.  Compare all that to Vincent who has to land tons of killing blows to max his weapon and who has terrible limits at all levels, and Red XIII who is the third best mage but has an ultimate weapon that discourages him from using spells and limits that aren't special at all.

Ultimately, Darilon is right because every character gets stupid once you land the best materia like KotR, Mime, or any of the Masters, and even beyond that the best party is always going to be some combination of Cloud(Best character by far), Barret(Best Ultimate weapon, great lv. 4 limit), Yuffie(Awesome level 3 limit), and Cid(Triple AP Weapon, great lv. 4 limit).  But when considering the rest of the party objectively, I can't really see how anyone would rate Cait lower than the terrible Vincent and Red XIII.

Yeah, okay. I will admit that I never paid that much attention to character stats in that game (namely because none of it ever mattered in the slightest) or ultimate weapon powerups/downs (since none of it ever matters beyond Cloud smacking things for ridiculous damage with 4xCut, Meteor Rain, or Omnislash).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »

It's FFVII. The game's easy enough that it really doesn't matter who you use.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »

NOT THE POINT OF TIER LISTS

Kirby Super Star is easy as hell, but that doesn't mean that some of the powers aren't better than others.
Cait Sith
Roll the Dice

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 10:45:58 PM »

Im going to have to say Im loving the defense of Cait Sith, even though he's the underdog something about the guy/thing caught my attention at a very young age and Ive been attached to him ever since. In battle, most characters definitely outshine him, but he's not worthless.

Currently Playing: Resonance of Fate

PSN: jasonpudd
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »

I was generally confused by his anatomy at a young age.

He's a weird pink troll thing...being controlled by a robotic cat...being controlled by Reeves in Shinra?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »

I was generally confused by his anatomy at a young age.

Heheheheh. Hey Beavis. He said "anatomy."

I found a lot of characters in XG to be not that useful. Partially because they drop like two of them on you right before/in disc 2 and uh yeah that's *after* 90% of the actual gameplay. Partially because I AM NOT USING FUCKING BLANKA. Partially because magic was of a very questionable usefuless from what I recall.

I also found Tellah useless and FFIV got a lot easier when I just left him dead constantly. Apparently I was just using him wrong. Whatever.

Also half the cast of FFVI,

Also no-one was sufficiently unique in FFXII enough to really extend beyond the point of superfluity so in a weird twist everyone is both useful yet worthless in that game. Hum-dingger !!

Sherry in Ultima 6 is, however, not worthless if you level her right. You CAN make out her strength, which creates *really odd* logical issues. On the other hand who cares how a little tiny three-inch-long mouse is wielding a three-foot-long sword? It's awesome.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »

First of all, where the hell is Rinoa in FFVIII, my god she was so FUCKING lame and a terrible character.

"Oooh, I berserk for a limit break, but instead of hitting you for awesome damage, I'll cast magic spells that STILL SUCK. Or, maybe I'll just fucking THROW MY DOG AT YOU!"

How the hell did PETA not attack SE for that?

Second, why is magickarp on the list? Yes, he's a terrible pokemon, but jesus guys, GYRADOS. Lemme repeat that, GYRADOS. Sure he dies in one good thunder, but fuck balls he rapes you if he goes first. Magickarp deserves a technicality as being a worthy timesink.

Third, why isn't the whole cast of Xenosaga 2 there? Not only were they all essentially the same towards the end, but they were also in fact so freaking bad, that if it weren't for the fact that the A.I was the only thing lamer, the game would have been completely unbeatable.

And finally, I think they should make a Twilight RPG just so the next time a 10 shitty rpg character's list is made, they can add the entire cast of twilight. That's right, I find the movie so fucking horrible, I want a game to be made just so I can see the whole cast added to the list of bad rpg characters.

....fuck poshul, the lisp speaking, pink fucking poodle from hell.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »

A meteor spell cast by Rinoa with full MAG stat while in her Angel Wing mode is actually rather powerful. I was rather fond of it. So shes not entirely useless.

Besides, FF8 differentiates between characters even less than FF7 did. So that argument can also be applied here.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »

A meteor spell cast by Rinoa with full MAG stat while in her Angel Wing mode is actually rather powerful. I was rather fond of it. So shes not entirely useless.

Besides, FF8 differentiates between characters even less than FF7 did. So that argument can also be applied here.
Yeah, full magic stat with rinoa casting meteor did some nice damage, IF SHE CAST IT. IIRC (been a few years since I last played FFVIII, been twice that since I last bothered using rinoa) she didn't have to use magic in her draw list. At least with anyone else including Quistis, and believe me she deserves #11 on this list, their limits were useful-ish. The guys could destroy most bosses with one limit break if you junctioned str to max, and even if not, Zell could just infinitely combo with some skill.

And yeah, FFVII and beyond, the characters were essentially interchangeable with no real repercussions or loss of story progression. With the slight exception of FFIX, where the characters were mildly individual, though not ever really needed for any fight or area. In short, I'm glad the story is at least captivating, because FFVII-XII were balls easy on your brain as far as battles went.

TASTY!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 05:39:13 AM »

FFVII-XII were balls easy on your brain as far as battles went.

You may want to add FFVI to that. I love the game but it is hardly difficult. FFV was the last FF game where bosses actually were difficult. It took me a while to beat that enemy that split into four and god help you if you fight omega.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 10:21:01 AM »

Or, maybe I'll just fucking THROW MY DOG AT YOU!

Whoa, whoa. Rinoa was long established as a manipulative cow-whore here long ago, but leave interceptor v2 out of this.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: