Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327850 Posts in 13421 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top Ten Worthless RPG Characters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Top Ten Worthless RPG Characters  (Read 14887 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »

FFVII-XII were balls easy on your brain as far as battles went.

You may want to add FFVI to that. I love the game but it is hardly difficult. FFV was the last FF game where bosses actually were difficult. It took me a while to beat that enemy that split into four and god help you if you fight omega.
Depends on how you played VI. VI COULD be easy, but only if you did the level up trick (worked on either version, cursor to memory, banon on health edgar on autocrossbow, etc) or abused the vanish+doom/x-zone glitch (Snes only). If not, towards the end things could give you a run for your money...unless you used Edgar Sabin Cyan and Locke, though Cyan was easily switched for Terra. Frankly speaking, the 2 brothers were beyond broken, Sabin could do extreme damage and heal the whole party (minus himself) and Edgar could do excessive damage to everything. Cyan was good, but Terra (or Shadow since he was badass) could easily rep him, and Locke was just the best damn thief ever. At least in terms of individuality, VI had that going in its favor. But yeah, still easy except for the final dungeon on the GBA remake. That place was pretty freaking hard at times.

TASTY!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »

FF6 is just as easy as the games that followed.  Let's not kid ourselves here.  Even if your party was Relm, Umaro, Mog, and Setzer, you were still thrashing everything with ease.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

I agree that barring the extra dungeon in advance, FF6 was not that difficult.

That said you could be in deep trouble fighting the yellow tentacle monster under Castle Figaro in WoR if Celes, Sabin and Edgar were underlevelled. Especially if you suck at using Sabin.
The dragons and some extra bosses could be difficult depending on what spells you have learned(Imagine fighting the boss on top of the magic tower without life 3).

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »

Third, why isn't the whole cast of Xenosaga 2 there? Not only were they all essentially the same towards the end, but they were also in fact so freaking bad, that if it weren't for the fact that the A.I was the only thing lamer, the game would have been completely unbeatable.

And finally, I think they should make a Twilight RPG just so the next time a 10 shitty rpg character's list is made, they can add the entire cast of twilight. That's right, I find the movie so fucking horrible, I want a game to be made just so I can see the whole cast added to the list of bad rpg characters.

....fuck poshul, the lisp speaking, pink fucking poodle from hell.

voice acting particularly for momo and chaos sucked more than everyone else so those were annoying to use
and not everyone is identical, especially since it has those "attack zones" and everyone except couple characters can attack in mid-air
that twilight idea sounds like it would possibly work well as an arcade/fighting game.
that "thing" looks like a shit zoo (spelling?) more than a poodle

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »

Haha, you saw Twilight.

I'm not sure if Poshul's useful or not. I never got her in my party. I was surprised to see that some of the jokier side characters in CC ended up having pretty good stats though.

I think in a game with like more than 10 characters -- CC and the Suiks in particular -- that each character should be able to to a very small number of very unique things, but otherwise be a glass cannon. And let the player swap in and out members from their ENTIRE party mid combat. So like, during a boss fight, make it possible for 20-some characters to die during the course of it but you still win because the remaining 6 guys in your party live.

Or something. Really, the main fun in those kinds of games is just finding the characters anyway. Combat's sort of inconsequential in JRPGs generally anyway, so...

IIRC Guardian Crusade's living toys worked like that though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »

For me, the most worthless character in a RPG is Estelle from Tales of Vesperia. Man, I hate that bitch.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »

Speaking of obscure games with fucking useless characters, half of the cast of Beyond the Beyond were so fucking useless for the first third of the game. Samson was so fucking useless due to his curse that you spent the next ten or so dungeons and at least five different quest lines running around getting all the steps necessary to see the guy on top of a hill to remove that damn curse (including visiting that game's version of fucking God). And the curse in question wasn't just a cutscene malady but a legitimate status effect that crippled the character in combat. And worst still there were two more characters more worthless than him, and they never get better.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2010, 07:34:08 PM »

For me, the most worthless character in a RPG is Estelle from Tales of Vesperia. Man, I hate that bitch.
The only main healer in the game is worthless? WTF.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »

And then you learned how to make her invinicble in fights permanently, breaking the game so good.

And @MeshGearFox, you can't legitimately crack on a movie unless you sit through the duration of it, same goes for games. Hence why I sat through all of Twilight and all of Xenosaga II...actually I sat through all of Xenosaga II to play through Xenosaga III, which totally made up for the shitfest in II.

TASTY!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »

I think he's talking from a plot/personality standpoint, which I haveto agree with him. However, you are correct that from a gameplay standpoint, she is invaluable.

Then again, without Mieu in TotA, you would never get anywhere. But noone wants to strike him from the list (except maybe for me).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »

She had the most retarded healing AI ever. I would even rate hers worse then FFXIII *shudders*
I died some times because the bitch was either not healing, standing around like a dumbass or trying to attack in boss fights.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:03:01 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »

I think he's talking from a plot/personality standpoint, which I haveto agree with him. However, you are correct that from a gameplay standpoint, she is invaluable.

Then again, without Mieu in TotA, you would never get anywhere. But noone wants to strike him from the list (except maybe for me).
After the fugly bitch Shirley, all Tales female leads have ceased to annoy me.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »

Speaking of obscure games with fucking useless characters, half of the cast of Beyond the Beyond were so fucking useless for the first third of the game. Samson was so fucking useless due to his curse that you spent the next ten or so dungeons and at least five different quest lines running around getting all the steps necessary to see the guy on top of a hill to remove that damn curse (including visiting that game's version of fucking God). And the curse in question wasn't just a cutscene malady but a legitimate status effect that crippled the character in combat. And worst still there were two more characters more worthless than him, and they never get better.

Who was worse than Samson?  Every other character at least gets some spells or has a utility in battle.  By the time Samson is healed of his curse, he's not that great of a fighter anymore compared to Finn, Lorele, or Percy.  The spellcasters are all fantastic, I think the only character who is comparably bad to Samson is Domino, but even HE gets a couple good spells.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »

After the fugly bitch Shirley, all Tales female leads have ceased to annoy me.

Not even Marta? :/
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »

Who was worse than Samson?  Every other character at least gets some spells or has a utility in battle.  By the time Samson is healed of his curse, he's not that great of a fighter anymore compared to Finn, Lorele, or Percy.  The spellcasters are all fantastic, I think the only character who is comparably bad to Samson is Domino, but even HE gets a couple good spells.

Note who you didn't name (though not Annie as she was the best goddamn fucking thing in that game (especially during her getting tentacle raped scene with the side effect of turning her into a magical healer type)). At least Samson can hit things with his sharp pointy thing once he gets cured whereas those two can't even get crowd controlling glass cannons right due to being slower than fucking dirt. After all crowd control doesn't work when there isn't a crowd left to control nor does it work when the enemy is making you their bitch thanks to all the gratuitous stun-locking.

The only thing they were good for was the strength up spell and maybe nuking one of the five or so bosses in the game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: