Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 07:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332777 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Do you hate your life?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Do you hate your life?  (Read 16664 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »

No, I most definitely do not hate my life. I may hate certain circumstances I have found myself in, but never my life in general.
I have a wife of ten years that, dare I say, I am more in love with now than ever. I have an 8 year old son who is a great kid and doesn't cause any trouble. I have a good job doing something I love, that also pays me well enough to be comfortable.
What has been keeping me from enjoying my life more the past couple years is an endless string of health problems. I have been back and forth to so many doctors these past two years, it is unreal. The frustrating thing is that no one can figure out whats wrong with me. I feel like I belong on that Mystery Diagnosis show that my wife watches. I've had countless blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, ultrasounds, scopes up and down. Plus numerous prescriptions. None of it has solved anything.
My opinion on doctors has gone so downhill through all this.
It sucks knowing there is something wrong with you, but not knowing what it is or how to fix it.
Anyway...
Thanks for giving me a place to talk about it. The only one I discuss these things with is my wife. The rest of my family doesn't even know.
Thanks also to everyone above for contributing. It's amazing how you forget(or just don't consider) that everyone has a real life outside of the Fan.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

I can echo Neal's sentiments about being jobless and in student loan hell.

I picked the perfect year to graduate, that's for sure :/ I just got my BA in Environmental Studies in May, and while I have been applying to places, it seems like everyone is looking for people with many more years experience. In light of that, I've narrowed down my search to hopefully find some work in a park/ nature center. Currently I'll be starting an internship on the 8th, so that's a big plus, but I still feel a bit like a bum without a "real" job lined up.

I live with my parents, as my mom would rather I do that then waste money on an apartment. All in all, I'm pretty blessed that my parents are awesome and let me stay rent free (although that's not to say I don't help out-- I cook and clean and work at their business too) and as long as I find a permanent job at some point I think I'll be set. While I've always gotten along with my mom and brother, my relationships with my dad and sister are better then ever. I have an awesome girlfriend, and I still see my friends from college on a pretty regular basis even though they're scattered along the east coast.

So yeah, things could be better. I'd like some more money, please, and possibly to lose some weight, but they're things I can take care of. I'm healthy and happy, hopefully my internship will kick ass, my 1990 Jeep Cherokee is still running and passed inspection again and after four years I actually got my degree (with Magna cum Laude no less). Maybe some better PS3 RPGs would be nice, but besides that I'm golden.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

Nope, life is good.  It's just expensive. :P

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »

Nope, life is good.  It's just expensive. :P

Pretty much :P

And that's my one complaint, I'd like just a bit more money coming in. Basically my last month and a half, plus the next pay or two are going towards school, and the very basics. Which is great because I didn't need to do student loan shit, but bad because I'M BROKE. So really I just need a second job. But I'll have to see if I qualify for any bursaries too when the semester starts.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

Yeah, money would make my life a whole lot better. I know that sounds shallow, but it's the truth. I moved out with a buddy the second university finished. It's a million times better than if I moved back home, but working 6 days a week for crappy pay is wearing me out.

I feel unhappy a lot, but I'm trying to look on the bright side. I have a full time job despite the current climate (doesn't matter that I hate it :P), and I'm still bringing my weight down and getting into shape. In fact, food and diet is by far my biggest struggle in life.

Plus, my novel is currently being considered by an agent. It's when that gets rejected that I'll sink back into depression :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »

Ya know, my life just keeps getting better and better. I had an aweful childhood. Not that I was abused by my family or anything, I hard wonderful loving parents. But I was horribly abused by my teacher and pears, and myself. Being a kid was pretty much impossible for me. Some people look back on their childhood with starry eyes, but I wouldn't go back if you dragged me kicking and screaming. High School was a little better, College was a whole lot better. And even now, when I'm working for bearily above minimum wage and living in a cabin with no running water, I'd say I've never felt better. I have a wonderful girlfriend, my relationships with my family and friends are really strong, I have a lot of opportunities, and a lot of hope. As an artist/musician, so much of my happiness is dependant upon my personal output and not relient on external stimuli, so I can litterally make my own happiness if the rest of the world around me sucks. It sucks when I get uninspired though, and I just get really depressed, but at least I have a certain stability that I'd otherwise lack.

TurnBasedDude: cheer up, at 22, I felt pretty lonely. I didn't really have any kind of relationship to speak of until I was 27, but now I've found someone wonderful. People like us (nerds, those that walk to a different drummer) usually don't have romantic success until much later anyway

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 03:08:28 PM »

The frustrating thing is that no one can figure out whats wrong with me. I feel like I belong on that Mystery Diagnosis show that my wife watches. I've had countless blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, ultrasounds, scopes up and down. Plus numerous prescriptions. None of it has solved anything.

Grim- I can totally sympathize with you, as I am going through something similar.  Your post even made me chuckle because I watch Mystery Diagnosis all the time, and say when I finally get all my health stuff sorted out I am so going on there.  Only recently, did I make any sort of stride in them figuring out what's wrong with me, and unfortunately, it's not something that tests consistently, so I'm at a rock and a hard place.  I have an appointment coming up which will probably make or break what the doctors are going to do.  I agree with you on doctors, my opinions have changed so much, if you don't fit the typical criteria, I find they have a hard time thinking outside the box.  That's my big complaint with my life, because of my health I have had to give up a lot.  My social life is not thriving as much as it used to because I am never feeling well enough to go out.  On top of that, I'm in a job that would definitely not be my first choice, but I need money, and they accommodate me with my health issues.  I really get down when I think to the future if things don't get resolved and what kind of life I will lead.  All I want is to wake up and feel good in the morning and have the energy and ability to do the things I want to do.  So, don't feel alone on that one, I totally understand where you are coming from.  Thank goodness, I have a supportive family, and wonderful friends who help me get through it.  This has only made me stronger and I feel like I am so much more compassionate than I used to be. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »

My life has been taking a steady decline in quality.  I hate my job (yay for a master's and B.A. degree in history but I am working an IT job for some unfathomable reason), my state (seriously, this place is the cesspool of humanity), and having no friends (let alone more than that).  Short of a major injury, I can't think of this getting worse.  But hey, it can only get better from here, right?  Right?  :(

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »

My life is pretty good, actually. I know my life will never be what most people would discribe as ordinary, but I've accepted that. There are some medical problems, but those are all relatively minor. And hey, I've got health insurance, since not being insured is more or less illegal in the Netherlands.  Disability checks aren't exactly a goldmine, but atleast my financial situation is stable. I got a great parttime job, my family and friends are all in good health, I have plenty of hobbies and so on.

Something I can relate to as well. I've gotten some very stupid, if not dangerous, advice from some of them. Like drinking over 4 liters of water every day (working kidneys are so overrated) and getting plenty of sunlight, while I was taking meds that made me overly sensitive to sunlight and other sourches of UV light.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

I agree with you on doctors, my opinions have changed so much, if you don't fit the typical criteria, I find they have a hard time thinking outside the box. 

Some docs just seem like shills for the drug companies. No, I do not want to try yet another medication that will not work. They just want to move you along to get to the next one. Or so it seems.

All I want is to wake up and feel good in the morning and have the energy and ability to do the things I want to do. 

Exactly! I have good and bad days, but to just be done with it all would be so awesome.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »

It's sad how doctors and educators go into those respective professions with the noblest of intentions to help people, yet become bound and shackled by "the system."

And when I hear about all the troubles my friends are having and all the hard battles they're fighting with life, I want to be able to support them, be the additional troop they need in their squadron, but I can't because I'm engaged in my own equally hard battles with life.  It's when I start thinking like an airplane oxygen mask.  They always tell mothers to put the mask on themselves first before the kids because mom can't do much for the kid if she's incapacitated so she needs to self-care first. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »

My general attitude can basically be summed up as "Well, at least it'll be over eventually..."

It helps that I'm a fairly devout Christian, and as such I at least can cling to the belief/hope that there's something better on the horizon.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 06:41:22 PM »

My general attitude can basically be summed up as "Well, at least it'll be over eventually..."

It helps that I'm a fairly devout Christian, and as such I at least can cling to the belief/hope that there's something better on the horizon.

I don't know whether or not I can call myself a "devout Christian," but I'm with you on this. My sentiment on the matter is, "it sure would suck if this were it, so I HOPE there's a post-death party." That would be pretty chill.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 02:26:25 AM »

I don't even worry about the afterlife, I'm just glad I'm alive. Back when I was in (junior) high school there was a funeral nearly every year. Every student that died during that time was a classmate of mine. I'm older than they will ever be, they didn't even get the chance to finish high school. One of them passed away mere weeks before graduation. My mentor died as well, he was a really good person and he was the first one to encourage me to be my own person. He was close to retirement, but that wasn't the worst about his death. He taught Dutch, he loved our language and because of the brain tumor he lost the ability to understand it.

That really puts things in perspective. It helped me appreciate the small things in life and accept my life as it is.
HolyKnight
boredum invents amusement

98544544 jltidus zidane_6969
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 03:42:05 AM »

wow...i thought i was having it pretty rough right now until i read this post.  it actually kinda made my day a little.  well here goes with my little story.  i worked my ass off in rent to own for 2 years, even dropped out of college to devote more time into my job.  i was working 12-16 hours a day 6 days a week on average for 2 years.  constant fights with the fiance over the job and everything.  made assistant manager over sales and when the store manager resigned i actually ran the store for over a month.  then they brought in the new store manager who wanted to fire me the second he walked in, even admitted it.  i had to have surgery so i ok'd it with the store manager and district manager and took two weeks off to have the surgery and heal from it.  got fired during the middle of the time off and i can file a lawsuit because i was protected under the fmla act but i'm not even gonna bother with it.  currently collecting unemployment 300 bucks a week to sit on my ass.  thought about joining the military and since i dont have a ged and only 12 credit hours i can't, but then found out today i'm eligible for financial aid again so i start classes again October 12th.  However, since i'm only making 300 a week having to pay for repairs on my car and then pay my truck note (which the truck needs a new transmission) i can't afford to live with the fiance so i had to move back in with my parents while she moved back in with her parents.  overall crappy but has a good outlook to it because i can join the military after this semester and while i'm in the military finish college (while the military pays for the rest of it) plus you can't get fired in the military thats a plus.  after basic and ait school i can live with the fiance again.  hopeful future just gotta wait through the bad stuff.  thats my pathetic story.  not as bad as some if not all of your bad stories.  thanks for this topic i really enjoyed it.

~Currently Playing~
Final Fantasy Tactics (psp; FINALLY beat weigraf battle at end of chapter 3), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (psp; almost at the end), Suikoden (psp download; just started), Star Ocean 2 (psp; just got to second planet), World of Warcraft (pc; The Forgotten Coast server, Level 73 Ret Paladin, Tormentblood
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: