Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331782 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which series has gone the longest without a dud?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Which series has gone the longest without a dud?  (Read 21326 times)
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

Dincrest: the Rape of Nanking was done by Japanese soldiers, not Chinese.  Between Unit 741, the Rape of Nanking, and comfort women alone, the Japanese certainly had their fair share of atrocities.  Their continued whitewashing of WW II history is also cute. 

Anyway, topic on hand - the Soul Blazer series is all awesome stuff.

And ironically, it proves my subpoint as to why I fail in history.  Still, swapping out Nazis for a Chinese, African, Cambodian, whaever military is, to me, like swapping out heroin for methadone. 

Topic- I haven't played a lot of Tokimeki Memorial, but for anyone who has, how's that been?  Considering all the spinoffs I'm sure there's a dud in there somewhere. And if so, is the dud count low?

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 12:13:46 PM »

Speaking of DQIX, weren't the Japanese disappointed with it? (not sure though) I remember checking the Amazon reviews and it didn't get that high.

That was a 2chan raid.  It has very little to do with the game's actual reception, which was very positive.

Suikoden and Breath of Fire have yet to have duds.  And yes, yes, Suikoden 4, but given that it's still better than most FF games, even though it's a dud by Suikoden standards, it's still an honestly good game.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »

In Fire Emblem, FE Gaiden (second FE ever, for Famicom) is considered a dud from my observations of the fandom.

SERIOUSLY?

That's the only Fire Emblem I've played to completion, and I LOVED it. Just absolutely loved it. That's crazy talk.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 01:35:52 PM »

Pat, I never played it, though I have the ROM kicking around somewhere, but compared to the rest of the series, it at least doesn't SOUND as loved.

But if that's the only one you've beaten, you might love the others! Thracia 776 for an asskicking if you ever feel like one!

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »

I think it was the Columbine timing that set things off since the first boss in IS is your dickhead high school principal and one of the characters carries a machine gun concealed in a guitar case.

Although my personal theory is that they just chose EP over IS because EP plays better, if there WAS a content related thing, it'd be this.

Then again TCM played Red Dawn a few days after V-Tech because they're retarded as hell.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »

Of course this is only based on what I've played and experienced, but Mario RPG's, despite their lack of difficulty, have always been a blast to play. It's a very charming series with fun dialogue and fun/innovative gameplay. I'm excited for the Bowser one coming up.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

Well, Mr. L aside, Super Paper Mario was pretty shitty.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »

Suikoden and Breath of Fire have yet to have duds.  And yes, yes, Suikoden 4, but given that it's still better than most FF games, even though it's a dud by Suikoden standards, it's still an honestly good game.

Suikoden 4 is definitely not better than FF 4-6, 9 or 10. It is a poorly done game that aims to ape Suikoden 2 and does it poorly.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

Most =/= all, though I prefer most FF games to SuikIV.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »

Well, Mr. L aside, Super Paper Mario was pretty shitty.

Bwah!? No way...the whole 'Princess Peach has a RPG date with a nerd' is worth the price of admission alone!

It COULD be argued that the Ace Attorney series has been mostly dud free. Some people kinda bitch about the last case in the 4th game, but I haven't heard people outright hating it. It just doesn't feature Phoenix as a main character. It's still pretty good, though. Even though it''s more a puzzle/logic game than an RPG.

Though the streak may be broken with the new Edgeworth game. I haven't heard any reviews about it either way.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

I enjoyed Suikoden 4 more than FF2, 3, 7, 8, and 12 combined.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »

Disagreement nullified! Though i liked 7 and 8 more anyway and 12... well, it's a better made game anyway.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 01:37:21 AM »

8 and 12 I can understand.

However over hyped it is though, FF 7 is a better game than Suikoden 4.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 02:12:35 AM »

FF7 had a sweet commercial with a helicopter.  You have no idea how good I felt when I found out that Final Fantasy was on TV.  The same friend I ridiculed for getting a Playstation instead of a Dreamcast soon became the target of my... Final Fantasy whoredom. 

Final Fantasy 7 was also a good game.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »

I am tempted to say the Mana series because the only ones people don't seem to like are the GBA ones.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: