Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334698 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which series has gone the longest without a dud?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Which series has gone the longest without a dud?  (Read 21356 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »

I am tempted to say the Mana series because the only ones people don't seem to like are the GBA ones.

I guess you never heard of that World of Mana compilation then since Friends aside (I can't speak for or against it since I've never played it due to it being a Japanese Mobile game only but if I had to guess it probably sucked just like the rest of them) the entire compilation was one solid turd after the next. Children is the closest thing to a playable game that came out of that shit storm and that's due to it being a horribly generic as hell dungeon crawler. Between Summon Night: Twin Age and From the Abyss, both being DS dungeon crawlers, I would rate CoM right between the two. Highly inferior to SN:TA and highly superior to FtA (or at least on that scale). And again CoM is by far the BEST game the series has seen since Legend (and THAT was nothing more than a crappy side-scrolling brawler with crazy deep equipment customization, some good bit of writing every now and again, and great music).

And before you say that they were all nothing but spin-offs, Dawn of Mana, the last travesty spawned from this disaster of a compilation, is in fact SD4 (and a pretty crappy action-platformer to boot).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 05:13:17 AM »

I really liked the short story anthology of LOM.

I was about to ask how terrible Dawn of Mana was.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 08:09:22 AM »

It's an action platformer with horribly floaty physics and areas far too huge for their own good (and with no secrets worth looking for). That last part's a real doozy as you're forced to grind in each area so that you don't die horribly in the first couple of minutes (and this is especially true in the last areas of the game where you start in a hole only to come out of that and into the line of sight of about fifty snipers supported by dozens of stormtroopers and some nasty enemy generators placed far above and beyond your reach).

Most of the game itself consists entirely of throwing enemies and things around to score more coins for health and powar and getting set back about 10 minutes worth of progress for futilely trying to clear some impossible jump. And if I didn't make it clear enough, jumping in this game is really bad. Partly it's due to terrible camera angles, partly its due to the fact that most of the ground is destructible and can will collapse like a house of cards at the drop of a hat, but its almost entirely due to the physics surrounding the character. First he jumps like Simon Belmont if Simon Belmont was in a 3-D game (Judgment doesn't count. Shut Up!). The fact that you can double jump doesn't alleviate this at all (and in fact defeats the entire purpose of a double jump to begin with). There's the fact that you can get sent flying at the drop of the hat (its really motivating to spend 30 minutes climbing giant mushrooms only to get sent back to the beginning of the area due to a cheap enemy spawn). And the character has really terrible footing. He will slide at the slightest incline, any movement from the ground will make it impossible to jump off from, he can't walk in a straight line due to lousy camera angles and slopes, and anything smaller than an acre of land is considered a narrow ledge to him thanks to the afore mentioned soaring abilities of the protagonist (especially if its sloped).

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »

From the games I've played, the persona series is the best. All games are not only good, they're excellent, and just keep getting better and better.

I guess you can say that shadow hearts is another good series. The last one wasn't as good as the previous 2 but it's still a good game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »

I'm gonna agree with Gen Eric Gui here and say Suikoden, cause I liked all the Suikoden's I've played, barring II and Rhapsodia, but I know II is considered amazing so I'll take the majority's word for it. IV is definitely the weakest in the series, but I don't think it's a bad game.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »

It's an action platformer with horribly floaty physics and areas far too huge for their own good (and with no secrets worth looking for). That last part's a real doozy as you're forced to grind in each area so that you don't die horribly in the first couple of minutes (and this is especially true in the last areas of the game where you start in a hole only to come out of that and into the line of sight of about fifty snipers supported by dozens of stormtroopers and some nasty enemy generators placed far above and beyond your reach).

It was an RPG, not a platformer, grinding doesn't really take that long, lots of variety in the missions, it was fun having creatures to fight with.

I think LOM and Chrono Cross are probably the two most under-rated games of the PS1 era.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »

Final Fantasy has kept a good level of quality, hype and fanboys aside. Of course, not conting FFX-2.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »

I tried to replay Secret of Mana earlier this year and ended up hating it :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »

One more to your "hate" list amirite?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »

Because?

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »

It's glitchy, the magic system's dumb (Too few MP unless you grind to get MP up; to few MP == fewer spell casts = spells don't level up that fast; also a lot of useless spells anyway), sort of uneven difficulty, and I mean, as far as action RPGs go, I like really *smooth* things like Terranigma and not "Stand around and hold the B button to charge your sword power." Also the collision detection and damage detection is... off.

It's just a really sloppy game. It's not really bad, but there are better things I could play, so why bother?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 05:49:13 AM »

It was an RPG, not a platformer, grinding doesn't really take that long, lots of variety in the missions, it was fun having creatures to fight with.

I think LOM and Chrono Cross are probably the two most under-rated games of the PS1 era.

We must have played different games then since the "RPG" elements involved collecting tokens that provided slight boosts to HP, POW, and MP and every so often a "Level" was reached where the character temporarily unlocked an extra ability or two depending on what was leveled (and aside from the Healing magic the rest of the upgrades only served to help you collect more of those tokens). I also distinctly recall getting pissed as hell at the insane amount of climbing that I had to REDO due to cheap crap like an enemy popping up near the top of a massive climb and taking advantage of the shoddy physics to knock me all the way down to the beginning.

The tl;dr of this is that if you're going to call DoM an RPG then you might as well start calling games like the Megaman X series an RPG series too (in fact I'd say there's more RPG elements in any MMX game than in SD4).

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 11:13:25 AM »

I think you were talking Dawn and he was talking Legend.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »

I thought he was talking LOM.

fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 12:45:42 PM »

Baldur's Gate series had no duds. 2 games, 2 expansions, 2 engine spin-offs... and 1 of those spin-offs having an expansion too. Sure Icewind Dale wasn't as intricate as the BG games, but they were still well made and very fun to play.

FF... no duds unless you go into spin-off territory, which I'd venture to call FFTA a dud. (not the 2nd one, that one was MUCH better)

Dragon Quest, again if you count spinoffs... DQ Swords (rails lol), though it was pretty fun, just... not very good. And I found myself sometimes being apathetic to DQ5... I wouldn't call it a dud, but I think it's one of the weaker ones in the series (IV being the strongest for me).

Elder Scrolls. Though Oblivion made a lot of weird choices with leveling and stuff, it was still well made game. Spinoffs? Well, never played Redguard or Battlespire so I can't attest to their quality.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: