Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340914 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I can make games? Journal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: I can make games? Journal  (Read 8104 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:42:45 AM »

Talk about making games!
---

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=2802&lngWId=3

I made this as I was learning Direct X 7.  Years later, I believed I could learn XNA and be a rockstar in the Xbox Marketplace.  As soon as I figured out how to change the screen via keyboard input, I quit.  Who cares about Xbox Live Marketplace anyway?  pffffff

I've got a binder full of my idea for a game, but no motivation.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:09:28 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »

Today I discovered that enums in FreeBasic do not work how I thought they did, I think. Except I HAD enums in their during a version that WAS compiling so wtf.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »

I think that's one of the first rules of programming: at some point, you will say "wtf?  That totally worked before!"

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »

that reminds me. When fixing/rewriting some of my code last week, I discovered that movement had stopped working (I think it was movement.) Looking at it, however it was written and had no logical reason to work. Except it WAS working. So it wasn't so much WTF that was working before! as it was WTF? That was working before?

---edit---

Holy goddamn I'm retarded.

1. Forgot to put header file in #ifndef/#endif clause to make sure it wouldn't circularly define itself. this was the enum file, hence enums not working.
2. I included a .bas file instead of a header and started getting linker errors.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:01:15 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »

So, in order to give this thread some direction: who has got any interesting projects they are working (aside from Mesh, from whom we await a playable version)? Anybody in the process of writing a game via programming, RPGMaker, or otherwise?

I've got a binder full of my idea for a game, but no motivation. 

The trick here is to make something small. I find that my projects fall apart because I get too ambitious. I have to come up with something simple that can be expanded upon infinitely. You probably know this (having more programming experience than me), but a good point of approach is to say, "Okay. I'm going to make a maze game." From there, add traps, then treasure, a battle engine with random encounters, shops, skill system, etc. This is the only way I can ever get anything done.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »

The problem I'm having is that I know using Direct3D instead of DirectDraw will make my life easier, but I haven't learned it yet.  So the first thing I'll do is make a few tech demos using Direct3D.  DirectDraw isn't even supported by Microsoft anymore, and I need to move on.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »

Direct3D's outdated now. It's all XNA up in that bitch.

Anyway, so projectile drawing/making code... works. Now I need projectile moving/collision detection/deleting code. Huzzah!

and I need to redesign all of my classes. I think I'll not do that and instead just design them right the first time when I move on to making an RPG.

o/` I do not dream o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »

Interesting thread there. For a while, I did want to make stuff, but lost heart due to the way gamers and the industry in general is heading, and I just was not fond of things. I am glad there are indie devlopers around that make neat little games full of heart, and I am a big supporter of them.

As for me, weeks ago, I was feeling a little bored, and a friend of mine over at skype was messing around at making her own RPG Maker game using VX, and showing me all the little neat stuff she did got me interested to mess around on my own. Sadly, I don't have any particular talents on the technical fronts. I don't know anything about programming (though planning to take some courses to enrich myself), and art wise, I am too bleh, relying on programs like sprite generators and facemakers to at least use things that I have some bit of creative control on.

Regardless, I pressed foward, and hell, it is certainly tough, and Willy makes a great point. I wanted to do something small, but as the ideas popped into my head, I got too ambitious and overwhelmed. Gameplay, I was keeping it simple, but challenging in terms of a "survival" feel. The game I had in mind is that you play as a psychopath who got exiled off to an alien planet, and his bloodlust fuels him to roam around and pick fights with the people of the planet. It's a simple man vs. world theme where everyone and anything is against you, loading lots of traps on you, and hunting around for your supplies. No additional party members are gained, and just making it one long endurance test.

If I feel there is anything I have, I feel I can come up with crazy story concepts and just going for it. I was thinking anti-hero to the extreme who is just not likable and does not have a change of heart, but could be amusing to see how low he can go. Better yet, also thrown in a main foe who is also an asshole who uses all the good guys to send them to their deaths and the two actually buddy up to some extent (though have a fight to the death.) So it's a tale of evil vs. evil with all the genuinely good guy get squished in between and get killed off in cold blood. I like being a story teller, but mostly in a visual medium rather than novels, and at times, I just like to do impulsive roleplays with a friend on aim. My crazy ideas seem to work themselves out somehow such as...

-A story of where my friend became a ruler of a kingdom through a strange lottery system that determines a new ruler every few years. Of course, my friend became a public scapegoat where everything goes wrong solely is blamed on him while the villians run amok in the shadows to cause damage to his status.

And...

-Weird mystery story of a magazine published where everyones deep and dark secrets gets released every morning.

So yeah, I admit I can be sloppy in dialogue execution, and grammer where it isn't rpgfan work where my life is on the line, but I just keep on truckin' and enjoying the ride.

Progress of the game is very slow, but surely, and still continue at times even with loss of confidence and thinking too much on "what ifs" What really killed my spirit though is that last night, my computer suddenly had a harddrive failure, and was unable to save the data on the loads of work I have on the rpg maker game. The laptop was getting old, and wanted a new one for a while, but it still bugs me it happened, and kind of lacking motivation. I did decide that at the very least, I decided to make a script the very least to show off more of the story concept, and was planning to share that amongst friends, and maybe some here. Granted, it won't be anything nearly professional as the stuff I do here, but it's all good fun.

PS: Major apologies for the long, long post. I really got into the topic!

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »

though planning to take some courses to enrich myself

Programming courses are generally bad. Just find free stuff online and mess with it on your own.

So in regurnds* to Quogue**, I need to restructure my objects a lot. Currently, for collision detection, I have a bunch of loose functions. checkWallCollision, checkFloorCollision, etc. For check what the current player is running into. However, in this particular case, I also have projectiles, which should have their own wall/player collision detection routines. One possibility is overloading the function, which is sort of a kludge and not really expandable and not at all reusable.

Again this is something where proper inheritance would make things easier. I can think of some pointery wizardfuck*** to emulize it though. We shall see.

Also moving my input functions from MoveFunctions.bas to InputFunctions.bas is breaking them and I can't tell why because I'm just copying and pasting exactly :/

---edit---

Fixed this. Apparently MoveFunctions.bi had a mismatch in the function declaration in the header and in the definition. Predictably, this was causing the linker to freak out. Less predictably, it was causing the compiler to say something was wrong an an entirely different header.

So if moving stuff around broke it, honest to god, why was it even running in the first place :(

I need to restructure my code. The fewer variable I have to pass the better.

* This is a portmanteau but I forgot what it's made of :<
** also a portmanteau. This means Quake-Rogue.

*** Ahem. I believe that you can get a similar effect using composition instead of inheritance. That is to say, I'd have a base actor class that has, as a component, one or more more specific... classes. So instead of having Dog and Cat inhereit from Animal, I'd have Animal either be made of a dog or a cat. Sort of. IDK :T
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:52:37 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »

Quogue**

** also a portmanteau. This means Quake-Rogue.

That's awesome.  I hope you keep it, seriously. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »

As for me, weeks ago, I was feeling a little bored, and a friend of mine over at skype was messing around at making her own RPG Maker game using VX, and showing me all the little neat stuff she did got me interested to mess around on my own. Sadly, I don't have any particular talents on the technical fronts. I don't know anything about programming (though planning to take some courses to enrich myself), and art wise, I am too bleh, relying on programs like sprite generators and facemakers to at least use things that I have some bit of creative control on.

The thing about programmers (of which I am not, I failed Algebra in high school) is that many get as much pleasure out of learning a language as they do out of making something with it. I'm quite the opposite. I feel like I'm at war with the technology. I just want to make games and not fuck around with the technicalities. I feel like a lot of people get hung up with trying to learn it all rather than just getting out there and making something. The way I see it, you should work with the tools you have at hand. Don't know how to program? Use RPGMaker. Can't get RPGMaker? Write a game book. If you've got a cool idea (or even a lame idea that you're passionate about) something compelling will come of it if you just work on it.

-A story of where my friend became a ruler of a kingdom through a strange lottery system that determines a new ruler every few years. Of course, my friend became a public scapegoat where everything goes wrong solely is blamed on him while the villians run amok in the shadows to cause damage to his status.

Off-topic: Isn't that the plot to Phillip K. Dick's novel The Solar Lottery?
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »

Admittedly never read that.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/

Hrm... Just since I was complaining about fonts recently...

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/

Hrm... Just since I was complaining about fonts recently...

Quite cool. Although must people don't have the time to make all the graphics in their games, much less fuck around writing their own font. I envy you.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »

Although must people don't have the time to make all the graphics in their games

I'm totally cool with Using somebody else's public domain/royalty-free sprites, but I consider using ripped sprites to be really bad form. (And, of course, ripped sprites in a commercial game is outright illegal). There are a LOT of talented artists out there that can't program at all but want to be involved with game making in some way, and using ripped sprites is not only really lazy and just produces ugly looking results, it's also kind of a disservice to said artists who want to get involved.

It's worth noting that making a font doesn't take anywhere near the time that making a tileset does though, partially because fonts are generally entirely monochrome and small.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: