Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332739 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  RPG Recommendation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPG Recommendation  (Read 3208 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:29:06 AM »

I thought I'd put this here rather than clogging up the Console RPGs forum.

I'm considering picking up a JRPG. This is actually a big deal for me, as I haven't played one in about 4 years. I think the last one I played was Star Ocean 3, or perhaps Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Anyway, I've been feeling nostalgic for towns. Strange as that sounds, all I've played recently are WRPGs (Fallout 3 and Fable 2), which don't treat towns in quite the same way. I miss the atmosphere and safety of a good JRPG town. And you know, all the other good stuff too :P

So I'm after some recommendations. Inexplicably for playing NO games these days, I have a PS3, X360 and a Wii. I don't have a lot of time spare really, so nothing too long or challenging would be a plus. I was considering Valkryria Chronicles because it gets raved about, but I'm not sure if that actually has towns, and I suck at Strategy RPGs. Any game where dead characters stay dead is a bad thing for me! But if someone wants to talk me round to the idea, feel free!

Your ideas please :)

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 05:39:21 AM »

If your PS3 is BC or you have a PS2 still I'd recommend Dragon Quest VIII. Otherwise, Tales of Vesperia. You should still check out Valkyria Chronicles since it's so unique and probably the one JRPG most worth playing so far this generation, but you won't be exploring in it like you would any other RPG, though I guess it is, oddly enough,b etter than most strategy RPGs there.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »

Tales of Vesperia is probably your best bet for a JRPG on the new consoles. Like Eusis said though, DQVIII owns and if you haven't played it i recommend that instead.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »

Valkyria Chronicles doesn't have town exploration, but I would still recommend it. The first time I finished VC, I barely got past the 30 hour mark, so it isn't TOO long. Tales of Vesperia would definitely be another recommendation, and it's coming out on the PS3 with bonus content (thus far, it's only been accounced for Japan though). I haven't actually completed that one yet, so I can't say how long the main quest is. Dragon Quest VIII is definitely a must-have if you are still able to play PS2 games, as mentioned above. It's a very big game however, even the main storyline is pretty deep into the hours.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »

and I suck at Strategy RPGs. Any game where dead characters stay dead is a bad thing for me! But if someone wants to talk me round to the idea, feel free!

Damn, I was about to recommend Fire Emblem for the Wii. ;) Not that I've beaten it myself, but I've played many a Fire Emblem - I didn't like the idea either, but it helps me focus on the er, strategy part of an SRPG. The plots may come off as pretty generic (again, not sure how Radiant Dawn's story ends up...) but I really enjoy the characterization in FE games.

...Though there's not much for exploring towns, so that may be out anyway, depending on how bad you want that/don't want characters to die permanently. :P

(If you can play PS2 games, I may be biased, but get Persona 3 or 4. They're also pretty long, but they have *some* town exploration...)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »

Everything these guys said for sure. I'd also recommend Lost Odyssey on the 360.  It has a few issues but it's still a solid game.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pesmerga

for-shizzle-nizzle@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »

ok well, im gonna have to say. since u have your ps3 right. get suikoden1 off of the playstaion network. it has pretty much everything your looking for. town exploration. duengeons. 108 recruitable characters.  probly one of the best rpgs ever made in my oppinion deffintley in my top 10. if your ps3 is BC if u cen find suikoden 3 and 5 grab them.  and play, their both amazing. it'll probly be hard to find them tho. their sort of rare these days. suikoden 2 would be your best choice togo with butttttt its not on PS network yet down here. and its pretty hard to find. dont even attempt to play S4 its complete garbage.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:36 AM »

I refute Pesmerga and offer my own suggestion: Suikoden IV is not in fact a great entry in its own franchise, nor does it qualify as an all-around "good" RPG, but it does have some compelling characters, good development, and it's quite playable. It sits firmly in the "average" category of RPGs, but by all means, it's still worth playing if you want to experience Suikoden in a complete way.

Additionally, I second the suggestion on Persona 4. P3 wasn't bad, but P4 takes all of what P3 offered and tweaks it just right.
Pesmerga

for-shizzle-nizzle@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »

I refute Pesmerga and offer my own suggestion: Suikoden IV is not in fact a great entry in its own franchise, nor does it qualify as an all-around "good" RPG, but it does have some compelling characters, good development, and it's quite playable. It sits firmly in the "average" category of RPGs, but by all means, it's still worth playing if you want to experience Suikoden in a complete way.

Additionally, I second the suggestion on Persona 4. P3 wasn't bad, but P4 takes all of what P3 offered and tweaks it just right.
    compared to everyother suikodens. u have to agree that this is the worst entry? and its not like they were even just converting to ps2 graphics. they did a great job with S3. so if your going to try out suikoden wouldnt you want to use the time of playing something fantasic like S1 or S2 rather then something average? i duino maybe i just didnt like 4 because  lazlo runs around like a douche. 4 people in battle as oppose to 6  like their was a bunch of small things that added up. like i could make a list of like 100 things that were wrong with the game. being a huge fan of the series, i was heart broken when i played this game. lmao. thankfully they made up for it with S5. i was just sayinng if your gonna try out a suikoden game dont go for the S4 as a first choice.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »

Well after all the suffestions, i would like to suggest folklore.. not many towns but is like a good real time rpg, and interesting, it have it kind of exploring as well, also a pretty normal, not bad rpg called enchanted arms, its not that great, but i liked it, it was a good normal rpg, with its exploring, a good story (some character desings were weird tho) and the battles were good as well. its not 5 stars but i enjoyed it.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: