Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319157 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Children's Stories.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Children's Stories.  (Read 830 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:03:35 AM »

Thought it was about time for a new thread relating to the 'books' part of the forum. Sadly, it's just a recommend me stuff thread :P

As many of you know I'm an amateur writer, studying it at uni. My main ambition in life is to write children's books. However, I haven't really read any for a few years, and feel that maybe I should to get an idea of what's popular these days.

So, anyone with kids, or who just enjoys reading kids books (:P), recommend me some!

Really, they don't have to be recent, any are good. Just think of ones you enjoyed when you were younger.

Thanks!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »

Oh ho!  I love children's books.  I still read 'em sometimes just so I can finish them and have a sense of completion.  

What age group do you particularly want to write for?  Younger kids obviously have shorter attention spans and may not want to listen to lengthy stories.  Older kids may want something chewier.  

Big difference between a 3 vs. 13.  

Here are great books that I enjoyed circa ages 5-8 and ones that I've seen kids enjoy during my time as an early ed teacher's aide.  

Neal's picks from his youth:

The Man Who Tried to Save Time by Phyllis Krasilovsky (I hope I spelt that right).  This is a book that adults can enjoy as well.  

The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Manus Pinkwater.  The book is hysterical.  The way it uses language is awesome.  Normal words become the funniest things ever.  

The Animals Who Changed their Colors by Pascale Allemand.  This is a great story and one I was able to create a classroom activity for.  

Neal's picks from his teaching:

I loved this one book called "Alexander and the terrible horrible no good very bad day."  The illustrations are great and the story is both funny and endearing.  This is one of those books early ed teachers really like.  

Another really great book is called "Alligator Baby" by Robert Munsch.  He's an excellent writer of funny books and when you're writing for young kids, funny books are best.  He's definitely a good author to study.  Somehow, he knows exactly what kids find funny.  My pre-K kids would ask me to read that book to them all the time.  

For the slightly older set, the Captain Underpants books are great.  I'm especially fond of "Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants."  I've linked to the prof. Poopypants name changer thingie on these boards many times.  

Another great one is The three little wolves and the big bad pig by Eugene Trivizas and Helen Oxenbury.  It's a great twist on the three little pigs story and is absolutely hysterical.

For seasonal books, "Big Pumpkin" is great, especially if you can get the accompanying cassette or CD.  It's a cute funny Halloween book.

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: