Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334806 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nostalgia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 10005 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »

http://www.nostalgiads.com/

So I noticed this on 1ups Grind Blog, and it looks pretty damn cool.  Comes out next month, airships..steampunk, I mean to me thats like a smorgasboard of awesome haha.  Of course it remains to be seen how well it delivers on that stuff, but the 1up blogger made it sound like it was pretty good stuff. Made by the guys who did the FF remakes.  I personally kinda like the artstyle used, so for me its like hey, but I know others did not.

Your thoughts?

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:00:12 AM »

Eugh, not fond of the art.  "Nostalgic" in a bad way to me.

Umm, main guy wants to live up to adventurer dad, main girl can't recall shit and is being chased, magical witch girl, and a guy named "Pad".  Consider me sceptic.  Looks like it may try to be one part Skies of Arcadia and one part old-school RPG (and look at how far that's gotten games lately).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »

I don't thinkt he import impressions were that impressive anyway.

I dunno, I have a soft spot for RPGs on the DS, but I'll wait to see what others say, and I've got a ridiculous backlog as it is. A shame about the cover though, the Japanese one was really good while the American one's a boring generic one with the characters posing.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:28:15 AM »

I think it looks pretty cool. I might give it a go.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:29:37 AM »

and one part old-school RPG (and look at how far that's gotten games lately).

I dunno, most of the "old-school throwback" games that have been coming out have been pretty good.  Megaman 9, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, The Dark Spire, Punch Out Wii have all been quality experiences.

I've been cautiously optimistic about the game.  I want to like it, but I haven't really enjoyed the dev team's work on the FF DS remakes, and when you make me not like FF4, you've got an issue or two you need to work out.  I'll probably end up buying it anyway, just because I'm a sucker for this stuff.

Edit: But then again, it's being translated by Ignition, and they're not exactly know for their quality work.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:32:38 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »

Lux Pain wasn't under their control as I recall, but then Muramasa apparently had a fairly flat script.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:53:15 AM »

Every time I see this game I keep thinking of ToP if ToP was set in a more steampunk setting and didn't involve time travel.

That said, this game's still low on my priority list. Too many other games coming out for me to really give this more attention.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »

Screenshots of the game give me a Wild Arms vibe and it sounds like the airship battles want to harken back to Skies of Arcadia.  Part of me is interested in this game but part of me is also interested in A Witch's Tale for DS coming out next month as well.  Hopefully it'll be a fun one.

EDIT: I've been playing my fair share of non-RPG Maker throwbacks of late like Black Sigil and Crimson Gem Saga to name a couple, and those games were good.  Not superultrasexygreat, but good. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:31:45 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »

The art style for the title is not my cup of tea but seeing as how we'll probably never get a Skies of Arcadia sequel, this will have to suffice.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »

Honestly, I don't see what all the complaining is about. After the total boring dirth of good DS RPGs (I'm not into Atlus remember), and generic looking graphics, this is definitely a large step up. And hey, Skies of Arcadia's one of my favorite games.

And, surprise surprise, a world-traversing RPG that takes place on Earth... you don't see that every day (outside of contemporary RPGs).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »

I thought I remember hearing that this was good but looking back I'm probably thinking of that space RPG for the DS that's coming out soonish.

and generic looking graphics,

The graphics in this game are generic as hell.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »

Honestly, I don't see what all the complaining is about.

I don't think it's necessarily complaining, but consciously lowering expectations so we don't psych ourselves up too much and then later be disappointed.  I mean, Skies of Arcadia was a majestic RPG in peoples' minds and if a game like Nostalgia aims to channel some of that, it's got big shoes to fill. 

Still, a game like this is not something I would expect the meaning of life from.  Just plain good ol' fashioned trad-RPG fun like Black Sigil or Crimson Gem Saga.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:08:21 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »

I played it for a bit at E3, and it seems like it's basically going to be just as Neal said, a good ol' fasioned RPG. It's probably not going to be anything special, but the setting has me extremely buzzed, so I'm very excited to get my hands on it.

Airships! <3
Psycho_Kenshin

Dragon Quest is the best.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 06:08:21 AM »

I'm pretty excited for this game, love a good oldschool JRPG.

Nostalgia is a good name for it, too.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »

When does this game get released?  I could have sworn I heard it was coming out this month but then again, I only got a solid date from Gamestop and we know how reliable they can be.  :P

It does look very traditional in both storytelling and look and I doubt the airship battles will be as epic as Skies of Arcadia.  At the very least, it'll be a reasonably fun romp without some of the heavy drama that causes me to walk away from games for a while. I'll pick this up, but it'll likely still be overshadowed by PersonaPSP.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: